Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 09:03 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaw45 View Post
So, basically, you did not like him or his music. And(if I understand correctly), this is why you conclude that Michael Jackson did black people a disservice? Because you don't like him?
I always wanted to get this button I saw a hippie wearing in the U-District, Seattle 1967 - It read: Eat Shyt! Eighteen Million Flies Can't Be Wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 03:29 PM

Location: Upstate NY for now. Hanover, New Hampshire come the fall.
99 posts, read 153,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
To those that say well I have back pain so I am on meds. I have had 6 concussions, my knee dislocated so it was on the side of my leg 4 or 5 times as well as lugging around 90LBS in a VERY hot and not so nice place known as Iraq. You know what, I never got hooked on pain pills where I was taking 20 xanax a day. Sorry but BS excuse there.
Michaels drug problems and illnesses were in some ways an extension of his mental problems, which in turn originated during his youth. The pills were probably a means of escaping these problems in many ways.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:42 PM

Location: Upstate NY for now. Hanover, New Hampshire come the fall.
99 posts, read 153,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I always wanted to get this button I saw a hippie wearing in the U-District, Seattle 1967 - It read: Eat Shyt! Eighteen Million Flies Can't Be Wrong
Um...ok.

Anyway, individualism is fine. I don't listen to the radio at all and most of my music comes from little known asian jazz artists and underground hip-hop. I know what it is like to see popular trends and not quite understand them, much less subscribe to them.

I just don't really see how my not agreeing with these people necessarily means that the artists are doing everyone a disservice by putting out their music.
I understand what you might mean about questioning the intelligence and character of fans. I did that for quite a time, only my questioning pertained to fans of Lil-Wayne and Soulja Boy. I couldn't quite bring myself to understand how someone could get so popular just by making up a dance and saying "YOOUUUUUU!" repeatedly, and throwing in the odd sexual innuendo here and there.

Over time, I just came to realize that these types of music have their place, meaning that you don't have to lack character or maturity to like them in some capacity(even if you only bother with them at parties or on other limited occasions). You can be a mature, intelligent, good person and still listen to the song, even if you're just joking around with friends. The song is not a measure of who you are. Lil Wayne might rap about having sex with "every girl in the world", and you might put that song on and dance to it, but most people in their right minds would never actually try to live that way. Heck, even Wayne doesn't. Surely, he has standards.

Granted, I still struggle to understand why the gap in popularity between these types of songs and the music I listen to(which i consider to be more soothing, soulful, and melodious, or maybe more intellectual and meaningful) is so large. I mean, if Lil Wayne is going to have 40 million youtube views for a "lollipop" song about oral sex, then why can't this meaningful track I listen to find more fans, you know? I still ask that question, but even then I still understand why those songs have their place.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:18 PM

79 posts, read 74,161 times
It doesn't matter that Michael is what people think he is, in my eyes, he's an absolute legend.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:28 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chav View Post
It doesn't matter that Michael is what people think he is, in my eyes, he's an absolute legend.
He's also dead so I don't see the purpose in talking about the things you disliked about him now, unless it just makes you feel better

Old 07-13-2009, 04:29 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times
Jackson is dead. Every day from now on people will come to realize he is in the past.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
He's also dead so I don't see the purpose in talking about the things you disliked about him now, unless it just makes you feel better
Yeah he will be remembers as a pill popping child molesting skinny white guy who used to be black. No legend here, just a freak.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:32 PM

79 posts, read 74,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I never disliked him, he was just there, in life and I fully accepted him. I truly felt sorry when the child molestation cases ended and found that he was used twice by fraudsters.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:45 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,756,492 times
Soory if this has already been said, but I'm not reading a 15 page thread about MJ. MJ may have been a "two-bit junkie" but he was certainly a lot more than that. He was a genius as a muscian and an entertainer and stats back that up. He sold more albums than any other musician, EVER. You can't simply ignore that.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
Soory if this has already been said, but I'm not reading a 15 page thread about MJ. MJ may have been a "two-bit junkie" but he was certainly a lot more than that. He was a genius as a muscian and an entertainer and stats back that up. He sold more albums than any other musician, EVER. You can't simply ignore that.
He was a musician? I don't recall him playing instruments or even writing music, He was just a singer and dancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies