Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 04:34 PM

870 posts, read 1,626,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Again, I'm very confused and I am desperately awaiting some clarity. We offer bounties for a whole plethora of tips regarding criminal activity and carrying a firearm without a permit in New Jersey is a crime! So please someone, anyone, explain to me what is nefarious about a city, a state or even the Federal government offering citizens a reward for stepping up to the plate to report illegal activity?
so should i assume that you and all the other liberals on this board are IN FAVOR of deporting all illegal aliens? after all, being in this country illegally is a crime!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 04:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Gee, and to think that for all these years, you NRA types have been screaming about the need to enforce existing gun laws! Now when the city of Newark comes up with a program to get illegally carried firearms off the street, you are jumping up and down screaming the direct opposite!

Or maybe, just maybe, you didn't listen to your own linked source... again.
Ok, how do you determine the gun is illegal before you call and report ?
Obviously you'll need a license plate number or house address so they can follow up.

They say "illegal" but for $1K are you going to stop and ask a guy with a gun if he has his receipt ?

Old 07-10-2009, 04:36 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And so it starts..pitting citizen against citizen.
Keep us divided and we cannot unite.
Are you saying that in general if you saw someone committing a crime you would not report that to the police? It doesn't matter what the crime is. Would you look the other way when someone snatches your neighbors purse or pushes their husband out the window because they are tired of him? He is saying report people who are illegally carrying a gun. You can legally own a gun but keep it in your house to protect yourself but if you want to carry it with you, you must get a license to do so. How is that a problem?

Old 07-10-2009, 04:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Are you saying that in general if you saw someone committing a crime you would not report that to the police? It doesn't matter what the crime is. Would you look the other way when someone snatches your neighbors purse or pushes their husband out the window because they are tired of him? He is saying report people who are illegally carrying a gun. You can legally own a gun but keep it in your house to protect yourself but if you want to carry it with you, you must get a license to do so. How is that a problem?
Yes I would call 911 but the video is asking citizens to call in and report people with guns. Crimes is a whole nother story and I would not be calling their tip line instead of 911.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
very disturbing--- support NRA & state militias.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:49 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
so should i assume that you and all the other liberals on this board are IN FAVOR of deporting all illegal aliens? after all, being in this country illegally is a crime!!
I would prefer that you simply end my confusion and answer the question at hand rather than attempt to sidetrack the discussion.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:59 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
In all fairness, he did say "illegal" guns, although I do think it is dangerously close to being unconstitutional given that no conviction is required to collect the money.

i knew it, conservatives and obama haters cant read and or choose what they want to read, some kinda mental block or something, makes no sense

illegal is illgeal

Old 07-10-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Ok, how do you determine the gun is illegal before you call and report ?
Let me answer by asking another question, how does anyone know that any tip is an actual tip of an actual illegal activity? That is for the courts and a jury to determine. Clearly, if I noted that you were carrying a firearm and call the police to notify them of that fact, I wouldn't know if it were legal or not, but if and when the police arrived to investigate the tip a short conversation would ascertain whether or not the weapon were legal or not. And, based upon New Jersey's abject reluctance to issue concealed weapons permits, the probability of the weapon being illegal is a high probability.

[/quote]Obviously you'll need a license plate number or house address so they can follow up.[/quote]

Perhaps a license plate, but a address is pretty pointless since, first carrying a weapon in owns home isn't illegal and there would very little to nothing that the police would be able to do as a result. As for your home address issue, a tip that a person was carrying a weapon illegally ceases to be an illegal tip (from a prosecutorial point of view) once the person enters a legal area for possessing the firearm in the first place. No illegality, no warrant.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Are you saying that in general if you saw someone committing a crime you would not report that to the police?
I don't know about life in your part of Texas but in the inner cities like Newark, Philadelphia, Houston, or Atlanta, folks tend to keep their mouths shut regardless of the crime.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Yes I would call 911 but the video is asking citizens to call in and report people with guns. Crimes is a whole nother story and I would not be calling their tip line instead of 911.
That is a weird aspect of the program, unless the tip line is a quick transfer to the patrol division. I think there is one argument regarding the efficacy of the program and a whole other conversation portraying it as the second coming of the Third Reich!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies