Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 08:14 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,344,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I know you aren't talking to me, but I'm another one who's guilty of not using the multi quote feature. In my case, it just won't work. I click on that little thing and nothing happens.
I was talking to nrfittchet4 who posted 10 times...count them TEN times...back to back. With a whole bunch of "snappy" one-liners that could have easily been merged into one post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Clearly, this cunning plan has not been thought all the way through.
Or at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 08:34 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,262,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
but that doesn't include the regular social security disability that you can get regardless of family income or the medicare that he also qualifies for.
talk about b/s.
Social Security Disability is something you get once you've worked a certain amount - look at your Social Security statement, and it tells you that you have qualified for disability benefits and how much you would get if you became disabled. My ex-husband had been disabled since childhood, and therefore did not qualify. Because he was on SSI, he qualified for Medicaid rather than Medicare. Medicare is what you get when you are on Social Security Disability.

Your post is what's BS, since you are completely clueless as to how the system works.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:17 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,427,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
this will be my last post on the subject.
For those of you who don't understand why we get upset over people living off the gov't.
We see these people living right down the street from us, same neighborhood, they get their rent or mortgage subsidized by section 8, usually drive a nice ride, with $2,000 rims. Get food stamps for the food, if cap and trade passes, they'll get subsidies for their electric bill. In some places there are bills looking to pass to pay some of their cell phone bill.
All the while, they barely work, or not at all, and yet now they can provide the same type of life you do for your family, without lifting a finger.
And you wonder why we get upset??? All gov't programs should be time limited, just like unemployment. If you can't get your life back on track in a year, sorry, you have to wait 6-12 months for more benefits.
Where is the reason for working? they have proved that people on welfare usually "make" more than someone making minimum wage, so why even bother???
This country is so far gone, I doubt it will ever get turned back around.
I agree with everything you wrote. But some people don't want to believe that this is happening. They think that these people you are describing is a dime in a dozen when in reality thats not the case at all.
The problem with food stamp is that many people get used to the lifestyle of not working and getting government help, that they just stop trying to find a job. It is not worth it for them.
defiantly, if you are a healthy person there should be no reason to live on welfare year after year.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:19 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,427,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWARK MAGIC View Post
Where do you work? Just curious because your spelling and verb conjugation skills are terrible.
English is my second language.I'm Sorry that you have a problem with that.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
The problem with food stamp is that many people get used to the lifestyle of not working and getting government help, that they just stop trying to find a job.
That's a misconception that the media breathes life into; I personally only know of one person who has been on food stamps for an extended period of time and that's just because she's a moron who keeps having kids.

Like I said people are people. Some people have low expectations and will work the system as long as they can because barely making it is good enough for them. Some people are grateful for their food stamps but work toward getting off them because they don't wish to spend their whole lives in poverty.

As far as I’ve know there's no way to determine which one there are more of. I’ve never seen any research showing the number of people who get off food stamps within 6 months – a year, 1 -2 years, 2- 3 years etc. If someone has seen it, please share.
I can tell you that you will see more the first group represented by the media because it makes better news - no one wants to read about the woman who used to your tax dollars to buy food while working several part-time jobs until she was able to find full-time employment because that will burst people's little allusion that every person on food stamps is a lazy bum.

It's stupid and pointless to judge a whole group of people based on the LCD.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:13 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,918,663 times
I know you were (hopefully!!) kidding, but if not, you must have been the person in line in front of me a few weeks back here in New Hampshire, who went through the register with a cartload of lobsters, steamers and shrimp, all paid for by the taxpayers... I wondered what the heck was going on when I saw the cashier's face turn red/purple... and by the time I got to her, she was almost in tears saying "that person just spent more on a seafood feast with food stamps than I make in a month's salary".

While I'm against the idea of government-paid food stamps (probably an unpopular opinion on this thread) I'd be more supportive for a program that had specific APPROVED healthy foods, such as milk, juice, fresh meats, veggies & fruits, and a minimum of snack and "luxury" items. Unfortunately, the ones who know all too well how to work the system set a bad example for those hard working people who really do need a helping hand to keep their families fed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I'll just let folks know that I catered my sister's entire 150 person wedding w/ JUST my food stamps. cakes, lobster, king crab legs, cocktail shrimp platters, oysters, Filet Mignon, and New Zealand lamb, all paid for w/ food stamps! I used my cash benefits to pay for the open bar too

Last edited by Valerie C; 08-22-2009 at 08:27 PM..

Old 08-22-2009, 09:12 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,262,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
I know you were (hopefully!!) kidding, but if not, you must have been the person in line in front of me a few weeks back here in New Hampshire, who went through the register with a cartload of lobsters, steamers and shrimp, all paid for by the taxpayers... I wondered what the heck was going on when I saw the cashier's face turn red/purple... and by the time I got to her, she was almost in tears saying "that person just spent more on a seafood feast with food stamps than I make in a month's salary".

While I'm against the idea of government-paid food stamps (probably an unpopular opinion on this thread) I'd be more supportive for a program that had specific APPROVED healthy foods, such as milk, juice, fresh meats, veggies & fruits, and a minimum of snack and "luxury" items. Unfortunately, the ones who know all too well how to work the system set a bad example for those hard working people who really do need a helping hand to keep their families fed...
Let's go through this again.

That person could have been using an EBT card with their spousal maintenance on it. Food stamps are not the only benefits that can be on EBT. The cashier jumped to the conclusion that, because the person used EBT, they were using food stamps, and you were not educated enough to be able to make her feel better.

I know many people who would like to be the food police for people on food stamps, but you simply don't have that power. People get guidelines, and there are foods they cannot buy on food stamps, including prepared foods and alcohol.

Please educate yourself:

FNS Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) (http://www.fns.usda.gov/FSP/Default.htm - broken link)

Someday, you might need food stamps, or get spousal maintenance, child support, or other non-governmental assistance on an EBT card. Do you want to continue to propagate the falsehood that all EBT cards are food stamps only, and that people who use EBT cards are only entitled to buy what you think they should have?

Old 08-22-2009, 09:41 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,383,249 times
Answer

Seems to be some confusion about how one qualifies for Medicare, I thought this might help. I say again I am astonished at the general ignorance of how the insurance industry runs.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post

Sounds like the cashier is over-sensitive. I worked as a cashier for a long time and I never turned red/purple (but black people really don't change colors that often so that may have had something to do with it) and I certainly never cried over people's purchases.

As for the specific approved healthy foods, I wouldn't really be opposed to some restrictions on EBT benefits but you do realize that if that happened you'd end up paying $8 for a bag of chips because junk food is the main staple for food stamp recipients

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Someday, you might need food stamps, or get spousal maintenance, child support, or other non-governmental assistance on an EBT card. Do you want to continue to propagate the falsehood that all EBT cards are food stamps only, and that people who use EBT cards are only entitled to buy what you think they should have?
In Florida it was common to see all types of people using food stamps, especially after storms, because the county will give them to you if you lost power for an extended period of time. And they don't expire for 12 months so depending how much you get you could have used the amount over a short period of time. After hurricane Charlie they gave me $400 and I made that last for 6 months (poor college student with crappy eating habits)

Old 10-25-2009, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 1,935 times
So, I was doing research for food stamps and stumbled across this thread. It made for some interesting reading. I have a cousin. She is 27 and has 3 wonderful little girls. Her husband is a former US Marine and has been to war. He was hurt and had to leave the Marines. However, he was not hurt enough to qualify for disability from the Marines or otherwise. Now they both were able to get jobs and take care of their kids and all was wonderful in the world. Then this crisis hit us. He was an electrician and lost his job. She worked in retail and was laid off. They were forced to move in with her in-laws and apply for food stamps. Sometimes she buys things that people would not approve of. She does have a part-time job and IS paying taxes and her husband risked his life for all of us even though we did not ask him to (someone has to do it). Her kids recieve free lunches at school. They only have one car but it is a nice car. It is a 2006 Focus. Looking in on them you would think they have it all. They seem healthy and happy. For the most part they are. They have just hit hard times. We talk about the whole cake controversy and she said she would buy a small decorated cake for her kids birthdays if they asked her with her food stamps. Who are you to judge anyone, any where, for any reason. Maybe if we all put more focus on our own lives instead of bothering with everyone else we could all be happier people.

As a side note. Just because you see someone in the line at the store buying something with their food stamps that seem inappropriate it may be a one time deal. Never judge a book by its cover or you may miss a very good read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies