Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 07:07 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chav View Post
Some people will not change their minds no matter how much you teach them something. For example, a young man who grew up listening to his fathers racist rants will think that his father is speaking the truth. What boy would go against his father?

Like father, like son?

these boys.

http://www.biography.com/notorious/images/crime_files/menendez-brothers.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 07:07 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
What does that even mean, when races go away? I think you can do it by educating people about it. As in, when you're w/friends who are racist, talk to them about it, get them to see where you're coming from & hopefully over time they'll get over their prejudices. It can really only be done in small circles, that's where you have the most influence.
I was going to say something similar. Racism will never go away if we do not work to eradicate it. We have got to be willing to "name it" when it occurs, and be able to dialogue about it when the opportunity presents itself. Silence only serves to perpetuate and reinscribe racism.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:08 PM

79 posts, read 74,101 times
Racism in the US will never die. US citizens don't want to understand racism or how their words affect others, Americans don't have the time or the patience to learn about cultures. You can't change the mind of an American, the laws regarding everything including ownership of firearms, makes them believe in the "rights" system to much.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:08 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Exactly! White folks are not the originators of racism as folks like to proclaim them to be nor are they the only ones to engage in racism.
Hmm, nice deflection. So because white man didnt start it, they could be at least the best at it?? will you even deny that??

Old 07-11-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
these boys.
Ahh, the Menendez Brothers! That was all about money, I don't think they had a racist bone in their rich bodies. They killed mammy too.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:09 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chav View Post
Racism in the US will never die. US citizens don't want to understand racism or how their words affect others, Americans don't have the time or the patience to learn about cultures. You can't change the mind of an American, the laws regarding everything including ownership of firearms, makes them believe in the "rights" system to much.
Agreed. and its ok.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:11 PM

382 posts, read 954,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Hmm, you could be on something there.

I mean, there were'nt any racism before the white race got to America, perhaps we should all vacate the premises and give back the land to the Native Indians
Yeah, American Indians never discriminated, persecuted, enslaved and killed other tribes. It was only the "bad white guys" who taught them that. Before the whities came to America all the Indians lived in idyllic harmony. Right!

Old 07-11-2009, 07:13 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Duhh, so what if the tribes didnt get along, it was'nt as if it were of a different race trying to undermine the other. Do you even have a clue what Racism IS???
do I know what racism is, or do I wanna know how you define it? to me, racism is anyone who thinks they are better than someone else because of race. examples of racist statements IMO:

blacks are better than whites at basketball
whites are better than blacks at quarterback
blacks are better than whites at boxing
whites are better than blacks at hockey

but if you want to throw in a definition, go ahead. that's my definition.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:13 PM

The Native Indians were killing each other before the White settlers came to America. They why the settlers and later, the Cowboys called them "Savages". The Whites just made the Native American Indians more agressive when they trespassed on their lands to build towns and railways, as well as the Gold Rush.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:14 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
you can talk to people until you are blue in the face, but you can't change people. people have a right to their opinions. I live in NC. while this town is basically a college/retirement town, I have been out to the outskirts. I get looked at like I'm crazy when I call black people sir and mam. it's just how I refer to people when I don't know their name. I have only run into racism a couple times all the years I have lived in the south. I ran into it a lot more in the rural north.
You know what? There are simply some topics that I WILL talk about til I'm blue in the face. I will not give up about it, I don't care how idiotic the other person is. Some things are too important to just gloss over. Is it only black people that you call sir or ma'am? Why not other races? I'm just curious, I think it's respectful to say that to another stranger, regardless of race. Although, I've had men call me ma'am & I'm like HELLO! I'm only 38, I'm a chick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies