Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:27 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,384,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1025 View Post
Yes Racism and discrimination exists for all races. No we shouldn't get over it. We should learn from one another. I think there's a direct correlation between racism and ignorance. Ignorance and unwillingness to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1025 View Post
Growing up I was big on stereotypes. I grew up in NYC and was scared of black kids because some of my black classmates picked on me in school. I was always the smallest kid in class and they pulled my hair, made me trip, once I was almost pushed down the stairs! Racial tension between blacks and Hispanics was big in my school and I was the easiest target because of my size!!
I thought all black people were mean. Then I had an awesome black teacher in 6th grade and learned to look at people as individuals and not judge the whole race because of the actions of some. Today, some of my best friends are black, they're amazing friends and human beings and I would've never been able to befriend them if I kept my narrow minded, short sighted views.
Exactly backwards. Thinking our cultures and values are the same is the view of the ignorant. Thinking this can also get you killed.
So we're the same? Avail yourself the diversity discount the real estate market offers. We'll talk later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 09:31 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,559,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Racism is alive and well.

My poor white Dad got screw over by affirmative action and was a victim of racism.

Then when the minority who they gave the job to could not do the job and was a goner in no time.

Guess that worked real well.

I see nothing but whites being the victims of racism anymore and it is growing.

Sad to see this and I believe it all comes down to the election of Obama. The real racist are now out feeling like they can do whatever they want and Obama will sit on his butt and do nothing about it.
I'm gonna say it, this post is what is wrong w/everyone. You're going to take ONE example & use it as your poster child for defending racism? How completely ignorant. Another ignorance? Blaming Obama for it. It is unreal the lengths some will go to blame someone else for their failings. This post is just all kinds of wrong.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:41 PM

486 posts, read 983,598 times
Where in my post did I say our cultures are the same? WHERE? I said LEARN from one another. It would be foolish to think were are homogeneous. We're a product of our environment. Growing up black in the south is not the same as growing up white in the south, for example, duh!!
I post was referring to learning from our differences and learning that although race is a factor on who we are it ISN'T who we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
[u]

Exactly backwards. Thinking our cultures and values are the same is the view of the ignorant. Thinking this can also get you killed.
So we're the same? Avail yourself the diversity discount the real estate market offers. We'll talk later.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:53 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,636,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
seriously. people are always going to hate. hate has existed since the beginning of time, and it will always exist. people need to get over race issues, or else they are going to be in for a lifetime of disappointment. or perhaps the government will start trying to legislating thoughts. we know how much some people would like that.
The people who ocontinually create these types of threads are doing the exact same thing that they accuse Al & Jesse of doing. Ill apply the same line of thinking that they use when talking abut them, that they have a vested interest in keeping the pot stirred. People who keep creating these type of threads can't handle that the wold is changing and that their views and ideas will become outdated. Starting these type of threads does nothing to help progress, which I suspect is the goal.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:56 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,033 times
Been to a lot of KKK meetings eh?

Old 07-11-2009, 09:59 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,993,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Been to a lot of KKK meetings eh?
Who are you asking?

Old 07-11-2009, 10:17 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,154,124 times
I grew up hearing racist comments from my family all my life. It wasn't until I grew up, read alot about anthroploogy,& got out in the real world that I realized that no matter the race,people are PEOPLE. Time to break the cycle,Karma is a B*tch.

Not all of the human race has evolved past their animal instincts to "keep to their own kind". If you pay attention,you'll notice that the racists are the least educated,least successful groups in the US. AND, they are a dying breed,as demonstrated by the last election. There IS hope.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:25 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,516 times
Racism happens everywhere. I was recently in Baltimore and I experienced some reverse racism for not being Black. In cities like El Paso and other small New Mexico Hispanic majority towns, if you are not Hispanic, you will experience a lot of racism, stares and such. If you are a White person and go to any majority Native American town in the Southwest, you will deal with racism also.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:29 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,368,412 times
Quote:

Sad to see this and I believe it all comes down to the election of Obama. The real racist are now out feeling like they can do whatever they want and Obama will sit on his butt and do nothing about it.
Yes we were all sitting on our porches eating watermelon and drinking Kool-aid just waiting for the day when we would have us a black president so we could take over.

Quote:
My hubby already told me if he goes to vote and those panthers are going to be blocking his way to the booth like they did before that he will not only fix the problem but carry a much bigger stick!!!
He was going to fix it how? By hitting them with his bigger stick? Then when he was arrested I guess you could cry reverse racism

Quote:
Wonder why there are so many more blacks in jail then whites that have committed crimes? And there are far less blacks to begin with?
White mans fault those people committed all those crimes?

Get real.
Oh yeah and while there are more blacks in jail than whites; there are more whites on death row*. Probably because while black men just walk out on their families, white men have a habit of choking their wives and tossing them into lakes. I guess as a woman you're screwed either way.

Last edited by nat_at772; 07-11-2009 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: * That's based on a report I saw on Florida prisons;I know someone will ask for it so let me find a link

Old 07-11-2009, 10:42 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,948,956 times
I am sure this man had to deal with racism on a daily basis, but he overcame it through his song.

YouTube - 'Statesboro Blues' BLIND WILLIE McTELL, Blues Guitar Legend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies