Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 06:11 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,340 times

Advertisements

If I knew how to post the article here, I would have done so.

It took great pain for me to read this article in CNN/Crime, about the above individual's actions. And as a human being, cannot fathom how someone can perpetrate such an act in two innocent animals.

Ladies and Gentlemen: This the story of a FIREFIGHTER from Columbus, Ohio, with a stable job that was going on a cruise, and decided he did not want his two dogs any longer, so instead of taking them to the local shelter and disposing of them the proper way, so they will have the chance for adoption, he hung each one of them, in a basement, and put 12 bullets through them.

MAY THE LORD HAVE MERCY ON HIS SOUL............................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 10:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,689 times
I have known Dave Santuomo for years, my children have known and admired him. That's why I haven't told them what he's done. We respect what Firefighters do for us, and Don't want our children to view all Firefighters in his image. We have two dogs of our own. We place stickers on our doors which read, "Please save our pets". How can we expect this from one who will so coldly and heartlessly murder his own pets? I would have gladly cared for his dogs while he was away. I hope to never see him again

Old 07-14-2009, 11:07 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,087,454 times
When I read stories like this I always think they are terriable but then I remember that we live in a country where in some places they actually preform abortion right up to nine months and these babies do not get a quick bullet, they get something far more brutal.

When there is no value on human life, I wouldn't expect much value to be placed on animals.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:18 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,276,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
When I read stories like this I always think they are terriable but then I remember that we live in a country where in some places they actually preform abortion right up to nine months and these babies do not get a quick bullet, they get something far more brutal.

When there is no value on human life, I wouldn't expect much value to be placed on animals.
No, when there is no value placed on the lives of animals, or on Nature in general, that is the foundation for discrimination and violence against humans:

We must fight against the spirit of unconscious cruelty with which we treat the animals. Animals suffer as much as we do. True humanity does not allow us to impose such sufferings on them. It is our duty to make the whole world recognize it. Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

From beasts we scorn as soulless,
In forest, field and den,
The cry goes up to witness
The soullessness of men.
~M. Frida Hartley

Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him? ~Pierre Troubetzkoy

As often as Herman had witnessed the slaughter of animals and fish, he always had the same thought: in their behaviour toward creatures, all men were Nazis. The smugness with which man could do with other species as he pleased exemplified the most extreme racist theories, the principle that might is right. ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with extension of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth. ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

The indifference, callousness and contempt that so many people exhibit toward animals is evil first because it results in great suffering in animals, and second because it results in an incalculably great impoverishment of the human spirit. All education should be directed toward the refinement of the individual's sensibilities in relation not only to one's fellow humans everywhere, but to all things whatsoever. ~Ashley Montague

Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages. ~Thomas A. Edison

Old 07-14-2009, 11:49 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,087,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
No, when there is no value placed on the lives of animals, or on Nature in general, that is the foundation for discrimination and violence against humans:

We must fight against the spirit of unconscious cruelty with which we treat the animals. Animals suffer as much as we do. True humanity does not allow us to impose such sufferings on them. It is our duty to make the whole world recognize it. Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

From beasts we scorn as soulless,
In forest, field and den,
The cry goes up to witness
The soullessness of men.
~M. Frida Hartley

Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him? ~Pierre Troubetzkoy

As often as Herman had witnessed the slaughter of animals and fish, he always had the same thought: in their behaviour toward creatures, all men were Nazis. The smugness with which man could do with other species as he pleased exemplified the most extreme racist theories, the principle that might is right. ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with extension of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth. ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

The indifference, callousness and contempt that so many people exhibit toward animals is evil first because it results in great suffering in animals, and second because it results in an incalculably great impoverishment of the human spirit. All education should be directed toward the refinement of the individual's sensibilities in relation not only to one's fellow humans everywhere, but to all things whatsoever. ~Ashley Montague

Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages. ~Thomas A. Edison

I agree with that but until we have respect for human life there will be people that have no respect for animals.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:59 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
I agree with that but until we have respect for human life there will be people that have no respect for animals.
This isn't an abortion debate.

I am the daughter of a firefighter and I've always held a special place for them in my mind and heart. This is just so sad and confusing. I can't imagine what he was thinking.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:22 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,276,662 times
Quote:
No, just the opposite. Until we have respect for animals and all of Nature, there will be continued human violence. As long as there is ALWAYS one level of being--the animal being--that is denigrated and abused, and held in contempt, that level of contempt serves as the baseline for ALL contempt, and infects all of human society. Hence: "He treated me no better than you would treat a dog." Meaning: "It's okay and understandable to treat a dog contemptibly, but not a human." Yet, as long as it's okay and understandable to treat a dog contemptibly, there will always be a baseline for treating humans contemptibly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies