Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:18 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,315 times

Advertisements

Was in South Africa a year ago, my dad was born there and fled under white rule(apartheid) to complete his undergrad and masters degree in the US.

I personally love South Africa, imo it doesn't get much better then Cape Town. The nature is amazing and the setting is second to none imo.

The government heavily favors blacks now. The biggest telecomm company Vodacom doesn't allow whites to purchase shares of its stock and there is rampant discrimination in the government against whites now.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just saying how it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 03:44 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,392 times
During apartheid South Africa was considered a first world nuclear power with the white population enjoying the highest standard of living in all of Africa while the black majority were disadvantaged in income, education and housing. I don't know what, if anything, was being done regarding this disparity.

Apartheid ended in 1994 when the ANC won an overwhelming majority. The ANC has been in power ever since. Black rule in this South African democracy is unlikely to change due to the fact that blacks are a large majority of the population.

Since apartheid ended, South Africa has experienced a serious 'brain drain' with large numbers of whites leaving. These were, of course, the whites who had the means to emigrate. That's one reason why the percentage of poor whites is increasing. Other reasons include discrimination against whites.

This 'white flight' from South Africa is not occurring because of black rule per se. Its happening because South Africa has become a very different place. South Africa has become a place where they simply do not want to live anymore.

A survey conducted by the UN for a period between 1998 and 2000 ranked South Africa second for murder and first for assults and rapes per capita. South Africa has some of the highest incidences of child and baby rape in the world. The spread of AIDS has become epidemic with an estimated 20% of the population affected. Much of the countries infrastructure, including the electrical grid, is collapsing. South Africa is having a problem getting its pilots through flight schools and its airline, SAA, is not allowed to land in or overfly many other countries.

It seems to me that the majority blacks might should have left the whites in many of the positions that they were in rather than practicing discrimination themselves. One could understand their desire to practice discrimination against whites but what they should have done was pass laws making it illegal to discriminate. With blacks in power and the brain drain averted they could then turn their attention to the skills gap by investing in education and training.

What they did instead is proving to be a disaster so far. In my humble opinion, of course.

- Reel

Old 07-13-2009, 01:10 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,392 times
This thread sure died quickly.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:44 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
This thread sure died quickly.
Not much to talk about with South Africa anymore. The evil apartheid government has been displaced, the ANC has taken the reins and the country has become of little consequence to most folks. One thing I do lament about South Africas sliding into turmoil and strife is how their once thriving game herds and other wildlife resources have suffered. One thing the apartheid government did do right was manage the wildlife and keep it safe from poachers. They let the bush tribes handle that a lot. They would provide food, medical care, education, all the equipment needed to take on the poachers, advisory personnel, etc. The bush tribes had a lot of incentive to keep the poachers out of South Africa, and they were VERY good at it. This was one of the first things to go away when the ANC, under Mandela, took over. The Outdoor channel had a program on this a while back, and I remember Discovery doing a piece, back a ways, where they went into the scrub with some of the bushmen after poachers. With their incentive to protect the animals gone, and funding they were acustomed to gone, they have taken to poaching themselves to make ends meet. South Africa is not the safari destination it used to be. . Not that I could ever have afforded to hunt South Africa anyway, but I have no desire to see all those amazing animals fall victim to poachers. A White Rhino slaughtered for no more than some Arab shiek wants a dagger handle made for his son, the prince. yep, South Africa has surely not been headline news lately. To bad.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:54 PM

Don't believe what Reelist says. I have been to South AFrica several times, it is progressing very well and will shine in 2010 for the World cup.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:05 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
1 in 4 South African men admit to raping someone.

Violent crime is incredibly high.

There is a constant drain of the educated from the nation.

It looks like the South African gov't is looking at taking the farms of some of it's (white) citizens....

Yep,it's doing just great.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
1 in 4 South African men admit to raping someone.

Violent crime is incredibly high.

There is a constant drain of the educated from the nation.

It looks like the South African gov't is looking at taking the farms of some of it's (white) citizens....

Yep,it's doing just great.
you read stormfront too much.

btw, britain and the US have higher murder rates.

white farmers are not having there land taken away. My dad is friends with a white farmer and I was on his farm when I visited last year.

Still a lot of poverty, but 100,000 Africans a year are entering the middle class and more and more africans have money to spend.

The government is favoring blacks more. But like I said, thats not necessarily bad or good.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:12 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Are you asserting that this is a lie???
Quote:
South Africans received a horrifying measure of just how bad their country's rape crisis is with the release this week of a study in which more than a quarter of men admitted to having raped, and 46% of those said that they had raped more than once.
South Africa's Rape Crisis: 1 in 4 Men Say They've Done It - TIME

Old 07-13-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Im saying you over exaggerate based on what you read on a white nationalist site.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:26 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
For cripes sake, there is no such thing as reverse discrimination.

It's discrimination or not.

Can't you at least try to get the terms right?
Excellent!

And I might add - State sponsored discrimination is the only true hate crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies