Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:44 PM

20,259 posts, read 36,964,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yes, but federal law says that hospitals may not refuse emergency treatment for anybody, regardless of citizenship status. I don't believe that passing a state law in California would override that.

In 1982, the U.S. Supreme Court said that children of illegal immigrants cannot be denied admission into public schools.
When Federal laws trump state laws, then the Federal Government has to pay for the laws they have created. States have their own Constitutions, and that's why illegal immigrants in other States are rounded-up and put in jail. Besides, an "illegal" alien has not citizenship status of any kind. He or she has illegally entered this country, so he or she should be detained and deported, unless the person is her under political asylum. That's the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 11:53 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,055,780 times
Since everybody in here seems to agree to disagree I have a solution for California. Since California has been making many bad decisions over the years which led to their current bad situation I have a very simple solution for them. The CA government should look at their decisions that they have made the last 50 years and do just the opposite of that for the next 50 years. It will go from the crappiest state in the union to the best state in the union. When you're doing something that isn't working the obvious solution is to try something else.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:56 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,055,780 times
It's just like Albert Einstein once said "A fool is someone who does the same things over and over but expects different results."

Old 07-14-2009, 12:08 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,592,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
The CA government should look at their decisions that they have made the last 50 years and do just the opposite of that for the next 50 years. It will go from the crappiest state in the union to the best state in the union. When you're doing something that isn't working the obvious solution is to try something else.
I don't think everything needs to be scrapped. The state still has the largest economy in the U.S. and the seventh largest in the world.

And I guess your definition of "crappy" is different from mine.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:24 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,592,923 times
Another flattering news story for Texas lovers:

With high wages relative to cost of living and a fairly low unemployment rate of 6.3 percent, considering the financial turmoil over the last year, these factors make [Houston] the best city to get ahead.

Places you can actually get ahead in recession - Forbes.com- msnbc.com

Old 07-14-2009, 06:27 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,976,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
Well then explain your assertion. Don't just fire a cowardly drive-by shot.

As a business owner in Texas and as someone who has studied economics extensively in undergraduate and graduate school I beg to differ.
Surely you then know that the Texan economy is anti-cyclical to the national economy?

Old 07-14-2009, 07:12 AM

785 posts, read 1,047,370 times
California's economy is bankrupt because the state is spending and not taxing. If it was raising enough tax revenue to pay for the govermnet spending, this crisis wouldn't be happening. I know that everyone thinks the whole state is full of left leaning areas like San Francisco and LA but there are many centrist and right leaning areas as well. The main reason that California has so much trouble raising revenue is because Howard Jarvis's (who is an extreme conservative even by Texas standards) prop 13 made it so that the government could only increase the property taxes of people that bought their home before 1978 by something like 1% per year and it created a rule that in order to pass a bill that raises revenue for the government, you need a 2/3rds vote in the Senate and Assembly. Therefore a small minority of right-wing Republican lawmakers are able to block any tax increase, or any other revenue raising bill for that matter, from passing.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:24 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,590,047 times
California cannot tax to pay for the expenses mandated by referendum. Thus the government is going broke. I suggest they implement a form of my all inclusive increasing rate, high deductable Income Tax to put the government on a balanced budget while leaving 80% of the population with more money to spend.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:30 PM

37,058 posts, read 42,023,443 times
It's seems everyone is going to swarm to Texas with the big hoopla it's getting nowadays. I personally can't go to Texas but I stongly encourage everyone else to do so. NOW.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:49 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,751,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Surely you then know that the Texan economy is anti-cyclical to the national economy?
That is a false statement and shows that you don't even have an understanding of basic economics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies