Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:41 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's different this time folks. It's not like any previous recession we've lived through.
Today you have both bankers and carpenters both lining up for that Wallymart cashier job.

In the past, companies did fire folks but they didn't offshore the work. The company cut back, cut the dividend, reduced production for a while. These layed off workers did side jobs and freelance work in more affluent neighborhoods (where the bankers lived) while they waited it out.
I had an uncle that did that.

This time though, companies are not slashing dividends, not to a great extent that I see and the jobs that can be offshored are. Other companies are just going bankrupt.

Big names are gone folks in all areas of the economy. This is affecting jobs in all industries.
I remember hearing the family talk about the many times that my grandparents had to move to Pennsylvania and even Canada when the coal
mines shut down. Today, there are few places for laid-off workers to begin again. I see posters (who are employed) saying, "Get a job!" to others, and I always wonder where that job is. As you say, all industries are affected;
eventually many of those now denigrating others will find themselves without employment as well. I fear that the future will mimic The Grapes of
Wrath
for quite some time, but without a place like California for salvation. I heard an economist say that America will never again know the level of affluence that we enjoyed in the past 2 decades; we'll have to learn to be less materialistic. But the job outsourcing should be illegal; if money is more
important than the welfare of the country that you claim as your own, you
don't deserve to live here and enjoy her freedoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 01:21 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,276,662 times
There are many reasons why people find themselves homeless. Being "lazy" or stupid is not one of them.

Some folks are very enterprising, it's true. This is in the "antiques" for sale section of Craigslist in my state:

ME (http://westernmass.craigslist.org/atq/1265704708.html - broken link)

Old 07-13-2009, 03:15 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
What's your point? America provides people with the tools and freedom to succeed, and part of that freedom is the freedom to fail. If you don't save and plan for your own financial future, and you get caught flatfooted as these people in the article appear to have been, then that's not my fault or the government's fault or the system's fault. That's the person's fault who failed to plan.

BTW....with your sarcastic anti-American tone you appear to be saying the US isn't the greatest nation on earth. If so, then what is? If the US is so terrible, then maybe these millions of people who come here year after year, many illegally, could just divert to this better place that you know about. Please share.
Anti-American tone?
I thought that's what you have; you hate liberals, etc.
The US is not the greatest country on earth. Its citizen think so, but I never see it ranking at the top of the list except for:

Teen Pregnancy Rates In The Usa | LIVESTRONG.COM
Highest teen pregnancy rate in an industrialized nation.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/US.html (broken link)
Look about 1/2 way down the page and see where the US really is.

Look at infant mortality rate; highest in the industrialized nations.

There are countries that provide health care and housing for all of its citizenry.
Your argument is trite.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:13 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
So..............back to the actual topic.

A question to y'all.

If the paychecks stopped coming,how long could you last?

In the personal finance forum, posters there already have billions set aside so no point asking them....

Old 07-13-2009, 06:20 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
An in depth look at your debt.
Do all you can to get out of it.
Find a cheap place to live, strip down to the bones. I think it will get worse, worry about the ones with small children.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:27 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,981,476 times
Default So sad!

It's frustrating to me to see these people living in tents, when so many people across America are taking advantage of Section 8. These people deserve the money.

I'm talking about the people who worked and lost their jobs and homes.

These people payed their taxes and now they don't have anything to show for it!

Old 07-13-2009, 06:43 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Yeah...unless you ask us to help out other Americans who are less fortunate. The OP is right on...a family member recently had a quadruple bypass surgery. She's worked as a nurse for almost 40 years, her husband (a vet who flew jets in Viet Nam) held down two jobs for at least 20 of the almost 40 years, and this is going to make a major dent in their lives, even though they had obviously worked hard, paid extra for good insurance, and had (they thought) plenty of money saved. The surgery was $250,000. It doesn't take much to change your life forever.
The idea that we're seeing "tent cities" again is infuriating; those CEOs who ruined businesses yet left with hefty retirements and "golden parachutes" should be found and left with one home, 2 cars and a million bucks...and be grateful that they aren't in prison or living in a "Bush Burb," and have the rest be confiscated to help the economy. It isn't like they
earned the money.
The idea.
Not reality.
Go see the 'Bush burbs' for yourself.
No one like those folks there.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:18 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Could you tell me what the people in the article did wrong???
I'm not saying that anyone did anything "wrong" but there are a few examples of people who apparently failed to plan. The article relates the stories of people who made "good incomes" and got buyout packages, but still they find themselves in a state of woe.

I have 2 years of expenses in the bank to protect my family. Plus I got an education and built up a network of people that I can lean on if things get tough. Most of the people in the article don't appear to have done any of that to be so broke that they find themselves being foreclosed upon and living in a tent.

I'm sympathetic to their stories, but for the most part they can be summed up as people who thought the good times would never end, and they made no plans for that rainy day....and now it's pouring.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:23 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Could you tell me what the people in the article did wrong???
if he was in the building industry, he sat back while our elected government officials allowed millions of illegal immigrants into this country to take his livelihood away from him...... liberals are still talking about legalizing illegal immigrants even with stories like this one out there.
people need to tell the government that they need to protect american workers, not sell them out with importation of cheap labor and exportation of good jobs!

Old 07-13-2009, 07:25 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,924 times
Why don't we use those FEMA trailers from Katrina?

Oh wait, they are still being used, never mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies