Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 10:48 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Now this is the best bunch of naive BS I've heard in awhile.

What do you think those Predator drones are doing?

So trying to hunt down and kill UBL should be against the law in your opinion?
Hmm, seems I remember one of the candidates for POTUS last year talking about us not doing enough to hunt down AND KILL OR CAPTURE these same people. Their point was we might have already brought them to justice had we not been side tracked with Iraq.

"...my preference, obviously, is we capture or kill him."

Barrack Obama, January 15, 2009

Exclusive: Obama On Bin Laden - CBS News Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 10:57 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,277,416 times
Quote:
CIA Had Secret Al Qaeda Plan - WSJ.com

Do the dems/libs really want to whine and moan too much about this? Is there something wrong with wanting to kill the guys who took down the towers?

Again - they are on the wrong side, they are on the terrorists side.
Channeling Lynne Cheney, are we?

It's against the law to keep such information from the Intel committee. Pretty simple.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:00 AM

43 posts, read 249,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The fact that this has leaked out is exactly why we should not share a great deal of classified info with politicians... Its a well known fact that politicians can't keep a secret and don't care how many lives they put at risk when they leak the secret.

Well said. This is the real issue, I think.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:37 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The fact that this has leaked out is exactly why we should not share a great deal of classified info with politicians... Its a well known fact that politicians can't keep a secret and don't care how many lives they put at risk when they leak the secret.
The leak is of greater importance than the existence of the program. Unfortunately the program itself was never implemented. The leak proves the democrats cannot be trusted with the defense of this country. The truth is Congress knew of the surveillance program.

Quote:
Former CIA Director Gen. Michael Hayden angrily struck back Saturday at assertions the Bush administration's post- 9/11 surveillance program was more far-reaching than imagined and was largely concealed from congressional overseers.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Hayden maintained that top members of Congress were kept well-informed all along the way, notwithstanding protests from some that they were kept in the dark.
Hayden rebuts surveillance program reports - Los Angeles Times (http://tinyurl.com/lz8v6l - broken link)

But the democrats would rather prosecute imagined 'crimes' and nonexistent cover ups than keep this country safe. It's the same old song. I believe many actually hope for another terror attack, they loathe their country and the Bush administration's huge success in defending their country that much.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:41 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,442,696 times
I wonder if either momonkey or sanrene have served in the miltary.

I have and I find their "logic" to be childish, at best.

If they have, they ought to be ashamed.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:35 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:

Do the dems/libs really want to whine and moan too much about this? Is there something wrong with wanting to kill the guys who took down the towers?

The democrats leak crap like this, and wonder why the CIA does not wish to include ALL members of the Senate Intel committee when they conduct sensitive briefings. If the CIA cannot prevent leaks with leading members, how the hell could they do it when all members are included?

Quote:
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said the chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, Silvestre Reyes, D-Texas, was negotiating with Obama administration officials over a measure that would expand the number of legislators who receive briefings on CIA activities from the eight leading members of Congress. They would include all members of the House and Senate intelligence committees.

Obama, House leaders at odds on CIA briefings -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/topic/sfl-cia-briefings-a071009sbjul10,0,7848301.story?track=rss-topicgallery - broken link)

Old 07-14-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
America doesn't murder people. Even the worst people. That's what sets us apart from our enemies. It's our morality that will survive the centuries, not our army. Anyone involved in this needs to go to prison.
Go for it!

If any politician talks about killing terrorists leaders, you should get these people tossed in prison.

Quote:
NEW YORK (CNN) -- In a contentious taped interview that aired on "Fox News Sunday," former President Bill Clinton vigorously defended his efforts as president to capture and kill al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

Clinton: "I got closer to killing him than anybody has gotten since. And if I were still president, we'd have more than 20,000 troops there trying to kill him," Clinton said, referring to Afghanistan.

CNN.com - Bill Clinton: I got closer to killing bin Laden - Sep 24, 2006
Quote:
0bama: "I think that we have to so weaken his infrastructure that, whether he is technically alive or not, he is so pinned down that he cannot function. My preference obviously would be to capture or kill him.

Is PEBO Changing the Goal When it Comes to Capturing or Killing bin Laden? - Political Punch
Quote:
0bama: Now, what I've said is we should end this war responsibly. We should do it in phases. But in 16 months we should be able to reduce our combat troops, put – provide some relief to military families and our troops and bolster our efforts in Afghanistan so that we can capture and kill bin Laden and crush al Qaeda

Obama: "Capture Or Kill" Bin Laden - CBS Evening News - CBS News

Old 07-14-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottJM View Post
If Mr. Panetta didn't know about the operation then it must be extremely secret. Which makes sense because still it seems that no one knew about it. Also even though he is the director it doesnt mean that he knows every single thing thats happening, plus it wouldnt be smart to have one single person who knows everything that is going on in CIA.
The reason Panetta was not aware of the "operation" was because it was not an "operation", it never reached anything past the spit balling stage.

Quote:
"This was not a program. It never began," the former official said. "The authority was given by Congress to develop this idea. ... There was no need to brief it. It wasn't a reality."

Congress Authorized CIA to Develop Secret Al Qaeda Plan, Former Official Says - Political News - FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/07/13/cia-secret-al-qaeda-plan/ - broken link)
This is just a non story, whose only function is to try and get Pelosi off the hitch for claiming the CIA lies to congress all the time, and to take the focus off the economy and the tragic events that have become the 0bama administration.

Last edited by Wapasha; 07-14-2009 at 09:20 AM..

Old 07-14-2009, 08:46 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
It's against the law to keep such information from the Intel committee.
Unless the program is operational, there is no need to brief the congress.

Besides; Note the date

Bush Has Widened Authority of C.I.A. to Kill Terrorists - The New York Times

Bush Has Widened Authority of C.I.A. to Kill Terrorists

Quote:
Could it be that CIA Director Panetta does not have a good grip on the history of his agency’s post-9/11 efforts? Could it be that his Democratic colleagues have such a knee-jerk hostility to the CIA that they would jump on bad info to attack the CIA and Fmr. Vice-Pres. Cheney as a modified limited defense of Speaker Pelosi’s prior bogus attacks on the CIA regarding briefings on interrogation tactics? Could it be that the geniuses of the NYT forgot they already blew the program?

(Hint: Yes, Yes and Yes.)
Cheney getting 'bum rap' on CIA program, ex-officials say - CNN.com

Quote:
According to both officials, any intelligence program of "great sensitivity" is first approved by the White House after a series of meetings. In any such situation, once the administration decides to pursue a covert program, there is discussion on whether Congress needs to be briefed, the officials said.

President George W. Bush "delegated" then-Vice President Cheney to chair many of the meetings that followed the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, the officials said.
As one official put it, "It should come as no surprise that we would go after the bad guys, the terrorists."

The above statement is the real problem for dems/libs.

Quote:
Both sources said the program that Panetta discussed fell under a presidential finding that broadly authorized covert counterterrorism activities. They said Congress had been briefed on that finding in the fall of 2001, and there was no requirement to brief lawmakers on a program that had not been implemented.

"When it goes operational, then you brief them," one of the former officials said.
Once again, the dems/libs have demonstrated they are not to be trusted with national security or defense.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:55 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,792,481 times
Quote:

As a dem/lib, I had assumed we were already doing this (trying to kill terrorists). The problems I have is that the Gang of 8 was lied to and not informed as required by law. The other problem I have is that apparently the CIA was not trying to kill these terrorists as they are saying this program was not implemented. I thought the Republicans were supposed to be "keeping us safe." They've had 7 years, what the hell have they been doing during that time? Oh yeah....Iraq. That was helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies