Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 04:38 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,838,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
I feel so sorry for conservatives and there deep hatred and jealousy of Michelle Obama.

I guess the First Lady should be home in the kitchen churnin butter, scrubbing the cupboards and tenden to the youngins.
Not a bad idea!! I think we should email this suggestion to the White House!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 04:46 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Anyone have a calculator? The stats that everyone is referring to basically come from the Washington Post that started tracking this stuff back in 2003. It was used to diss President Bush ... my, my - how things have "changed". This is another fine example of the "double standard".

White House Office Staff List - By Salary . 2003, 2004, 2005

In 2003 - Laura Bush had a staff of 7 with a combined salary of $465,300

I didn't bother to check 2004

In 2007, Laura Bush had a staff of 15 with a combined salary of 1,098,600.

You will notice that each year the staff increases - I believe someone posted that Mrs Bush had a staff of 13 in 2004. Hard to believe she got by with much less than 7 staffers in 2001, 2002 but I suppose it's possible.

Michele Obama has a staff of 22 with a combined salary of $1,600.500. in her first year ..... that number will only grow as it did with the Bush family.

So far - the Obama staffers are 40+ ahead of the Bush staffers which also translates to a lot of dollars.

It's pure numbers ... doesn't have anything to do with bitter haters and all the other excuses offered for the spendaholics. Wait until someone finally gets the figures together about number of days spent in the White House for the first year. The Obama's are on the road every week. Bush spent a lot of time in Texas but Laura didn't take spur of the moment trips to London or Paris and they sure didn't fly off to New York for a dinner and a show. I can't wait for that list - it will be a doozy.

Numbers don't lie.

Awesome post!

Old 07-13-2009, 05:30 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
[i] and she doesn’t perform any official duties.
The Office of the First Lady does however. Established under 1978 statute (PL 95-570) the Office is a statutory office under the Executive Office of the President.

"an unprecedented number of staffers"

Jackie Kennedy had 40 staff members, so Ms Obama's staffing is hardly unprecedented.

But don't let facts stand in the way of a good rant.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:35 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The Office of the First Lady does however. Established under 1978 statute (PL 95-570) the Office is a statutory office under the Executive Office of the President.

Jackie Kennedy had 40 staff members, so Ms Obama's staffing is hardly unprecedented.

Thanks for verifying that it seems to be Dems that need the huge staff....

Old 07-13-2009, 05:38 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

So does this make sense to you? I wasn't alive when Jackie was first lady - but had I been I would still be appalled at 40 staff members!

The First Lady of the United States does not need an entourage - and if she does, let her pay for it out of her own pocket. All First Ladys since Jackie Kennedy certainly had the money to do so - including this one.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:42 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Ummmm.....see Katzenfreund's post above about on topic. Your post has nothing to do with Michelle Obama or her twenty attendants. Katzenfreund, can you please delete the off topic post?

Old 07-13-2009, 05:58 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
I'm no fan of Pres.Obama but this type of complaint (if any) should be against each and every presidents' spouse expense allowance/cost, not just this one.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:13 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,477,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Not a bad idea!! I think we should email this suggestion to the White House!
Typical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmg1 View Post
There has already been talk here in these forums about Michelle running for President after Obama leaves office.

And I guess all the Palin hater threads are not obsessive.
Palin was a Governor (before QUITTING) and a VP candidate (before losing horribly). Michelle Obama is the First Lady, not an elected official.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molish View Post
I really don't see much jealousy in regard to the conservatives and M.O. Hatred? Yeah, I see that. I think she took over the hatred of some for Bill Clinton. I didn't care for that guy, but I never understood the hatred for him. I do kind of get the hatred for Michelle. I don't personally hate her, but I hate her mind set, and a lot of the things she has said.

[color="Red"]I've not met [/COLOR](or read any blogs on the internets) ANYONE jealous of her. She's quite unnatractive and to a lot of us quite detestable.
You don't see much jealousy AND you don't personally hate her BUT you "hate her mind set and feel she's quite unnatractive and detestable"..Can someone contradicat themself anymore in one freaking post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
No, but the First Lady whether it be laura bush or Michelle obama ought to show more restraint on the publics dime.
Restraint? When did you set the parameters for a First Lady's staff? Why is this an issuse now? I'll tell you, it's an odd obsession with the First Lady. Very strange.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:10 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Restraint? When did you set the parameters for a First Lady's staff? Why is this an issuse now? I'll tell you, it's an odd obsession with the First Lady. Very strange.
It's an issue now for me as this is the first I've heard of this practice. And perhaps it is more of an issue with the Obamas because while B Obama may have - in large part - inheirited this economy nonetheless we as a nation are trillions in debt and this type of misuse of taxpayers funds is really not good. Especially when one ran on the premise of change.

But again...whether the first lady is married to a rep or dem president matters not to me - this type of self indulgance needs to stop.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Its yet another example of Obams grand sense of entitlement. We should all make sacrifices, while he jets off to NYC for "date night" on the taxpayers dime. Outrageous!
Good Lord! Did you read the previous threads about the other first ladies' staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Is any one surprised about this?
Because it is nothing new! They've all had staffs! I've been following politics for a lot longer than most on this thread, apparently. I was well aware that Eleanor Roosevelt had a staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies