Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:51 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times

Advertisements

"The measure would end public benefits to illegal residents, challenge the citizenship of their U.S.-born children, cut welfare payments to those children and impose new birth certificate requirements."

Activists push ballot initiative to end state benefits for illegal immigrants and their U.S.-born children - Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 03:57 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,578 times
I do not see how that would be constitutional.

Edit: I'm referring to the birth citizenship portion.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
I do not see how that would be constitutional.

Edit: I'm referring to the birth citizenship portion.
I totally agree. I can see how it might stand up to legal scrutiny if they only went after the illegal immigrants, but that's not good enough for them, of course. Going after their American-born children is what will doom this initiative, even if it passes.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:11 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,273 times
It would be so much cheaper if we built a hospital and called it the Mexican consulate, then the babies could be born in Mexico!

Seriously though, I'd say it wont go far based on it's unconstitutional treatment of those who are American born, but, we did recently here pass a law denying marriage to certain Americans, and with the current budget crisis, illegals make an easy target.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
Seriously though, I'd say it wont go far based on it's unconstitutional treatment of those who are American born, but, we did recently here pass a law denying marriage to certain Americans, and with the current budget crisis, illegals make an easy target.
And yet, they keep saying that California is just a bunch of liberals.

Whenever there's economic problems, people look for a scapegoat. Last year, it was the gays. This year (as it was in 1994), it's the illegal immigrants and their American children. It sounds like they're having trouble raising money and gathering enough signatures, but if it does get on the ballot, I won't be surprised to see it pass. But it will be challenged immediately, and I'm very sure the courts would strike it down as being unconstitutional.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:19 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
"The measure would end public benefits to illegal residents, challenge the citizenship of their U.S.-born children, cut welfare payments to those children and impose new birth certificate requirements."

Activists push ballot initiative to end state benefits for illegal immigrants and their U.S.-born children - Los Angeles Times
All they really need to do is make the benefits available ONLY to legally born citizens who are ADULTS, not the newborn and children of illegals. This would cut down on the wasteful spending.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
All they really need to do is make the benefits available ONLY to legally born citizens who are ADULTS, not the newborn and children of illegals. This would cut down on the wasteful spending.

Basically, if you're born in the U.S., you are a U.S. citizen. You're saying that the children of illegals born in this country should be denied benefits until they are adults?

Old 07-13-2009, 04:25 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
The benefits are given to their parents (the illegals) - even if they are for the children. No benefits should go to illegals whatsoever. Period. Even if it's for their kids - citizen or not.

As far as birthright citizenship itself, the State of California can't end it, but there's a huge push for it at the federal level. Some people interpret the 14th Amendment to mean that it does not require children of illegal aliens to be granted citizenship.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:26 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,947,765 times
Default We only NEED 600,000 CA Signatures to Put this on our Ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Why the MSM is going broke. Because they suck at what they do. Teresa Watanabe, one of the main tenets of your trade is to identify what the - you are talking about. In the whole of the article and links, she fails to cite the proper name of the purposed legislation even once: California Taxpayer Protection Act of 2010.

Q - What if someone says denying the official birth certificate to the children of illegal aliens, tourists, and other foreigners is unconstitutional?

A - The United States Supreme Court has never decided a citizenship case for legal temporary residents, tourists, or those here illegally; only legally admitted permanently domiciled aliens.

More Information

We need grassroots support. Make sure the word gets out. Here is a LINK to the petition to place this on the ballot.

Last edited by mossomo; 07-13-2009 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: Doing the Work MSM Cant

Old 07-13-2009, 04:26 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,273 times
Perhaps they could legislate something to the effect of: If you come here with the intent of having a baby to establish citizenship(anchor baby) and take advantage of our services, it is an attempt to defraud the system and therefore the citizenship is denied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies