Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you miss George W Bush?
Yes, Bush was a great president! 7 6.14%
Yes, Bush did a fine job. 30 26.32%
No opinion 3 2.63%
I wasn't too crazy about Bush 74 64.91%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:53 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
So we can just ignore the million or so Iraqi's that died because he lied us into an unnecessary war of aggression that was never justified?
By million or so you mean less than one hundred thousand, right? Specifically about 87,000 as of February. Perhaps you should research before you post, and stop lying about something you clearly know nothing about...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 01:14 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Clinton didn't plant the thermite that brought the 3 towers down in a controlled demolition.

O boy...

Old 07-15-2009, 01:16 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Bush left the country bankrupt while he tripled the wealth of the rich and ruined the middle class. I'm not crazy about Obama but Bush destroyed our economy and the Republican Party

Lolol Bush did? I guess you missed the whole Obumer stim..trillion thing.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:18 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,847,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
Lolol Bush did? I guess you missed the whole Obumer stim..trillion thing.
This was before Obama. try to clear those RW goggles you're wearing.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:24 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Really, GWB left office with a low approval rating? Hmm, I wonder why I never heard that before. Well, anyway he also had the highest of any president ever at 92%. The next highest is 88%. It really wasn't a squeaker. Bush owns it.

Here's a scary little mental exercise. Imagine it's a cool autumn morning in 2001. As you catch glimpses of CNN on the TV in the employee break room you see what is drawing the attention of your coworkers to the set is an on-going terrorist attack against a number of target within the United States. As you are continuing to take in the magnitude of the attacks the news channel breaks away to a school room in Florida where president Obama is reading to children.

No thanks buddy! That heavy lifting was done by someone who put the interests of our nation before his political aspirations. Gore would have been a disaster too. I'll give Clinton a slightly better rating simply due to his time on the job.

No, the right person was there at the right time and he did the right thing. So when your grandchildren come up to you one day in the far future and ask why GWB still has the highest job approval rating of any president in history, you can tell them, he was the right person in the office at the right time to do the right thing.
Um, genius. Yes. Bush left with an approval rating of 25%. He was the least popular president in modern history.

Any president would have had an approval rating of 90% after 9/11. It had nothing to do with what he did. That's what our nation does when we are attacked. We rally together in support of one another against a common enemy.

We had the support of the entire world. To watch the lies, immoral conduct, and criminal behavior from the Bush administration erode that goodwill as they chased after selfish interests and let so many drown in New Orleans (amongst so many other failings) was one of the darkest periods in American history.

You are absolutely wrong in your assessment of why Bush had over 90% for a few weeks. Garfield would have had similar numbers because we were under attack.

Here's to new beginnings and a bright new direction.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:00 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Gee golly, for a president that "isn't conservative but liberal" the conservatives sure are out to defend him.

Like I always say, the conservatives sell us a conservative and when conservatism fails they throw the person and not the principles under the bus.
W was not a conservative. Spending the country into debt is not a conservative principle. Fighting two wars simultaneously is not a conservative principle.
I really have no idea what you are talking about

Old 07-15-2009, 07:01 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Um, genius. Yes. Bush left with an approval rating of 25%. He was the least popular president in modern history.

Any president would have had an approval rating of 90% after 9/11. It had nothing to do with what he did. That's what our nation does when we are attacked. We rally together in support of one another against a common enemy.

We had the support of the entire world. To watch the lies, immoral conduct, and criminal behavior from the Bush administration erode that goodwill as they chased after selfish interests and let so many drown in New Orleans (amongst so many other failings) was one of the darkest periods in American history.

You are absolutely wrong in your assessment of why Bush had over 90% for a few weeks. Garfield would have had similar numbers because we were under attack.

Here's to new beginnings and a bright new direction.
talking about bush or nagin?

here's to new beginnings indeed. wait, we're still in a recession and in iraq. I guess that bright new direction is DOWN.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:53 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,669 times
[quote=ryanst530;9760673]
Quote:
Fact check:

1) Bush did not cause 9/11
But he did sit around doing nothing for 9 minutes after the first plane hit when he could have shown some leadership and scrambled jets to intercept the second plane headed towards the tower. His 9 minutes of inaction caused the deaths of hundreds.
Quote:
2) Bush did not invade iraq like we were a bunch of drunken sailors. They have had WMD's in the past and Sadamm is FAR from being a trust worthy Leader. The fact that they didn't actually have them at the time we invaded should be blamed on poor intelligence.
He didn't? "We'll be greeted as liberators" "Mission Accomplished" "It will only take a few months". Come on. There were no WMDs and even if there were, why do we choose Iraq over North Korea, Iran or another dictatorship to invade? It was a foolish thing to do then, and we're still paying the price. At least 100,000 people have died (including ~5,000 American heroes) as a result of this action, that's certainly more than Hussein would have killed in the same time frame.
Quote:
3) Fema response to Katrina? You have to be joking... give me a break. How about that corrupt slacker of mayor Ray Nagin, doing nothing but sitting around point fingers? You can't possibly blame Bush for that... thats like blaming the cows for giving you bad cheese at the store.
Who was in charge of FEMA? Michael Brown. How did he get the job? Not from his qualifications, but from his friendship with Bush. His lack of experience caused many more people to die and cost us billions of dollars. I used to live in New Orleans and I know that the city was simply not equipped to handle a disaster of that magnitude, it's very poor and has only a few ways out. Had Bush given the FEMA job to someone with actual disaster management experience, many of those lives and billions of dollars could have been saved.
Quote:
4) Destroying the economy... Bush did not destroy the economy, people destroyed the economy. People spent too much money, money they did not have, and that is what killed our economy. Plain and simple.
No, you clearly don't understand macroeconomics. Government policy caused this meltdown. It was not consumer debt that caused it, but large-scale commercial paper that did. Bush de-regulated and de-regulated while ignoring plenty of signs that something had to be done. It all began in 2005, with 2007 being the beginning of the true meltdown. I sold my Citigroup stock at $48/share in August of 2007 when I realized the economy was going to crash...it's a $3/share now. If I, as a 20-something professional could see a major disaster looming, how could the president not see it? If he didn't see it, he was oblivious and his stupidity caused the meltdown. If he saw it and just said "not my problem", then he is someone whose negligence caused the meltdown. Either way, it's his fault. A lot of policy could have been passed between August 2007 and October 2008.

Before Bush, who was your favorite president of all time?
Who are your top-5 presidents of all time?

Mine:
1. Jefferson
2. Washington
3. T. Roosevelt
4. Jackson
5. Truman

Old 07-15-2009, 10:05 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
[quote=Pug Life;9775251]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
But he did sit around doing nothing for 9 minutes after the first plane hit when he could have shown some leadership and scrambled jets to intercept the second plane headed towards the tower. His 9 minutes of inaction caused the deaths of hundreds.

He didn't? "We'll be greeted as liberators" "Mission Accomplished" "It will only take a few months". Come on. There were no WMDs and even if there were, why do we choose Iraq over North Korea, Iran or another dictatorship to invade? It was a foolish thing to do then, and we're still paying the price. At least 100,000 people have died (including ~5,000 American heroes) as a result of this action, that's certainly more than Hussein would have killed in the same time frame.

Who was in charge of FEMA? Michael Brown. How did he get the job? Not from his qualifications, but from his friendship with Bush. His lack of experience caused many more people to die and cost us billions of dollars. I used to live in New Orleans and I know that the city was simply not equipped to handle a disaster of that magnitude, it's very poor and has only a few ways out. Had Bush given the FEMA job to someone with actual disaster management experience, many of those lives and billions of dollars could have been saved.

No, you clearly don't understand macroeconomics. Government policy caused this meltdown. It was not consumer debt that caused it, but large-scale commercial paper that did. Bush de-regulated and de-regulated while ignoring plenty of signs that something had to be done. It all began in 2005, with 2007 being the beginning of the true meltdown. I sold my Citigroup stock at $48/share in August of 2007 when I realized the economy was going to crash...it's a $3/share now. If I, as a 20-something professional could see a major disaster looming, how could the president not see it? If he didn't see it, he was oblivious and his stupidity caused the meltdown. If he saw it and just said "not my problem", then he is someone whose negligence caused the meltdown. Either way, it's his fault. A lot of policy could have been passed between August 2007 and October 2008.

Before Bush, who was your favorite president of all time?
Who are your top-5 presidents of all time?

Mine:
1. Jefferson
2. Washington
3. T. Roosevelt
4. Jackson
5. Truman
Rep unto thou

Old 07-15-2009, 10:13 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Really, GWB left office with a low approval rating? Hmm, I wonder why I never heard that before. Well, anyway he also had the highest of any president ever at 92%. The next highest is 88%. It really wasn't a squeaker. Bush owns it.

Here's a scary little mental exercise. Imagine it's a cool autumn morning in 2001. As you catch glimpses of CNN on the TV in the employee break room you see what is drawing the attention of your coworkers to the set is an on-going terrorist attack against a number of target within the United States. As you are continuing to take in the magnitude of the attacks the news channel breaks away to a school room in Florida where president Obama is reading to children.

No thanks buddy! That heavy lifting was done by someone who put the interests of our nation before his political aspirations. Gore would have been a disaster too. I'll give Clinton a slightly better rating simply due to his time on the job.

No, the right person was there at the right time and he did the right thing. So when your grandchildren come up to you one day in the far future and ask why GWB still has the highest job approval rating of any president in history, you can tell them, he was the right person in the office at the right time to do the right thing.
What was Bush doing when 9/11 happened? NOTHING!

Even for you, this is a pathetic post. So his approval rating was really high when people were scared and needed someone to worship? How about after he'd actually shown what he could do as president (screw things up) and when people actually knew how he was doing? The fact that his approval rating ended up less than 1/3 of what it peaked at should tell you something.

I was in my Navy Unit's building and we were all getting ready for war. My father was in NYC on business and his phone was going straight to voicemail. One of the guys in my unit had a cousin working on the 85th floor of the second tower.

I don't get your analogy about Obama being president during 9/11. You prefer that you see Bush reading to the kids instead of Obama, that it gives you comfort? What does that even mean? Bush wasn't even reading to kids,
he was just sitting there. What is it about Bush that would make you feel comfort? His inaction? His confused look? His bumbling speeches? What possible comfort can you get from that reaction to our nation being attacked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies