Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 01:20 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention to current events to realize what is actually going on, but it appears from my perspective that the Hope and Change song and dance has played itself to a blind, bewildered and desperate conclusion evidenced by the latest and equally desperate, meritless and pointless Cheney distraction. With all that besets the nation including near double digit national unemployment that could soon reach 20% in my home state of Michigan, Barrack Hussein Obama is scheduled to give a speech at one of our local community colleges. OK, let me back up. It was originally scheduled to be a townhall meeting that was closed to the public like all townhall meetings are and with preselected guests in keeping with the spirit and integrity of a genuine townhall setting.

The original topic of the "townhall meeting" was to be the positive effects of the $800,000,000,000 "stimulus package" on our economy. I don't know how far in advance these events are planned since that would offer some insight into the rational behind the change in format. Obviously the folks who selected the location did their homework since Maccomb County has not been hit nearly as hard by the recession as neighboring Oakland or Wayne Counties. With the setting and format carefully constructed so as to provide a one way dialog free of all dissenting views or potentially embarrassing questions, Dear Leader will be free to chew the cud of lowered expectations and revised commitments with starry-eyed college students. I did mention only pre-selected college students will attend, didn't I? Well, that's who'll be there, kids.

So here we are folks. Six months into the Hope and Change administration with a completely failed stimulus package, we now have the leader of the free world dodging tax-paying grown-ups and their pre-screened questions to produce yet another infomercial. This can't be all there is to this administration, can it? Is this what liberals, cross-over voters and young people really wanted? Will you simply accept failure, finger pointing and carefully staged infomercials in place of the promised transparency and accountability? What change have we to be hopeful about now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 01:31 AM

646 posts, read 801,783 times
He was a one term senator,the american people blind with hate for the Bush administration,has elected what will be the worst president in history.Ofcourse he will not put himself in any position to answer any tough questions and he has the media 100% behind him.His flip flops make John Kerry look good.I'm sure he is already planning another trip for him and Michelle "I have never been a proud american in my life" Obama on tax payer expense,and like I said he will get a free pass from the media

Old 07-14-2009, 01:37 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
I don't remember hearing anyone say that things would be rosy by now. We were all told that this would be the greatest recession since The Great Depression. I think it's a bit immature to whine and carry on about it at this point.

After Reagan took office in 1981, the unemployment rate climbed to 11.8%, and it took two years for the economy to begin to improve.

Bad economies don't turn on a dime. They take time to recover.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:54 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,829,447 times
The (R)s have a serious immediate gratification problem. We can't bomb our way out of this problem and the federal government can't fix your problems in Michigan, I don't see why you would want them to if you're a conservative anyways.

As far as townhalls, I would be suprised if there has been a real public debate within the last hundred years.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
He was a one term senator,the american people blind with hate for the Bush administration,has elected what will be the worst president in history.Ofcourse he will not put himself in any position to answer any tough questions and he has the media 100% behind him.His flip flops make John Kerry look good.I'm sure he is already planning another trip for him and Michelle "I have never been a proud american in my life" Obama on tax payer expense,and like I said he will get a free pass from the media

Well, not all the media.

washingtonpost.com

Old 07-14-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't remember hearing anyone say that things would be rosy by now. We were all told that this would be the greatest recession since The Great Depression. I think it's a bit immature to whine and carry on about it at this point.

After Reagan took office in 1981, the unemployment rate climbed to 11.8%, and it took two years for the economy to begin to improve.

Bad economies don't turn on a dime. They take time to recover.

Yes, that is true. And the underlying causes of our economic woes need to be rooted out and delt with in a responsible manner. None of that has anything to do with the current administration or the promises that were made to get the stimulus package passed. Unemployment was to be limited to eight percent. That was the point to spending nearly a trillion borrowed dollars against the expressed desires of the American people. The stimulus package has been a complete failure. Even its supporters admit as much. That's why they want another one. Reagan's approach was the correct one as painful as it was. Spending borrowed money will not replace our missing exports any more than artificially inflating the price of our goods and services with hidden taxes on business and energy. And keep in mind we still haven't seen the inevitable inflation this monopoly money will cause.

Hmm, seems I remember being mocked last year for belonging to the party of no new ideas. Quadrupled the deficit with nothing to show except an election year slush fund? We all need to whine and carry on about that.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
The (R)s have a serious immediate gratification problem. We can't bomb our way out of this problem and the federal government can't fix your problems in Michigan, I don't see why you would want them to if you're a conservative anyways.

As far as townhalls, I would be surprised if there has been a real public debate within the last hundred years.

Are you unable to see why I didn't want any of this irresponsible self-serving spending? The economic problems we face now have been caused by the left's obsession with trying to get something for nothing. We have the worst economy in the nation because we have an extremely business unfriendly tax structure and lots of unions to include the UAW which has destroyed the US auto industry. So will card check improve anyone's lot except the Democrats who pushed it? We tax our businesses at a rate second only to Japan. How can you expect to retain jobs when it is prohibitively expensive to business in the US?

Old 07-14-2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
We tax our businesses at a rate second only to Japan. How can you expect to retain jobs when it is prohibitively expensive to business in the US?
Perhaps Republicans should have done something about that during the many years they were in power. They must not have thought that it was very important.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:47 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,829,447 times
I'm unable to see how all the "conservatives" on here, including you, cannot comprehend that the majority of people that voted do not agree with you. Whether you like it or not Barack Hussein Obama has 3.5 more years and then you can vote for Sarah Louise Palin. Of course she will never make it out of Iowa alive and if elected will be writing her quitting speech after her first year in office.

If you have problems with Michigan, move or run for office. I still am unable to see how the rest of the country should care or the federal govt should do something for your states problems. You guys should have diversified your local economy if you can't weather the collapse of a slowly dying industry.

Did our federal tax system for businesses undergo any change from 20 Jan until today? Or are we still on the same system that the problem child had implemented in his failure of an administration.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
Did our federal tax system for businesses undergo any change from 20 Jan until today? Or are we still on the same system that the problem child had implemented in his failure of an administration.
I remember a couple months ago around tax time, a few of them were whining that their tax bills hadn't decreased, and they were blaming Obama for it. I reminded them that the taxes they paid were based on their incomes for 2008 - when Obama wasn't President. Duh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies