Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 06:52 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You know, there actually are people who can afford to pay for their health care - out of pocket. It seems most here don't believe it
That's fine. If one can pay out of pocket and will.
I do not agree with the fining part of opting out...as long as the option to refuse treatment is there.
But I do think you and I know that refusal in an ER of someone having a heart attack (for instance) is just not a reality.
The odds of someone willing and able to pay large amounts of cash is much less than someone needing treatment without the means to pay for it

As in most things, never will everybody be happy so decisions have to go with the odds.
Edited to add...or programs with a multitude of exceptions (which is Ok but seldom has that been known to work)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 06:55 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Well if folks have that attitude healthcare facilities should be able to require the uninsured pay up front and no treatment received until then.
i agree 100% lets start with illegal immigrants before native born Americans though

Old 07-14-2009, 06:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
As soon as I saw that it will be a MANDATED plan (individuals are required to participate if they don't have other health insurance, or face a penalty equal to 2.5% of their adjusted gross income) I saw sixteen shades of red.

What the heck happened to Obama's promise that a government health insurance plan would not be "forced on anyone" but would merely be "one of several options"????
You could buy your own private insurance. The payroll provisions for requiring employers to provide insurance are low enough that almost every employer will have to comply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
ichoose to go without health ins as i never need it do to my good genes and lifestyle.when i do need any care i pay cash and usually negociate a 70% discount.works for me. will never sign up for this crappy plan even if forced. i'll find a way around it just like i do every other forced tax
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
dont worry about it if i get a heart attack i will die. thats how it works.but noone in my history ever had one anyway.so i dont worry about it.all died quietly of natural causes.all heavy smokers and not even lung cancer or assosiated probs.nobody gets out alive no matter how much insurance. deal with it PS all averaged over 90
You genes will only do so much for you. You could be in an accident, or exposed to some nasty communicable disease.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:58 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Actually - many of them don't work. Trust fund kids -

Look at this an estimated 43% of the uninsured are voluntarily uninsured. There are not 15 million trust fund babys out there.

New EPI Healthcare Study By June O'Neill Shows Uninsured 'Crisis' Wildly Overestimated

Old 07-14-2009, 07:00 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Another thing to consider though is, regarding the "fine" provision - we have a significant "underground" economy now - many who do not file tax returns (Yes, I know that it is wrong - but it is still reality). What will happen is this group of people will never be "fined" because you cannot collect it - and, you are going to likely see an INCREASE in the number of non filers.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:01 PM

782 posts, read 3,789,474 times
2.5 % of 60k base pay is $1500. That cheap compared to $13,000 now. Where do I sign up.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Look at this an estimated 43% of the uninsured are voluntarily uninsured. There are not 15 million trust fund babys out there.
I never said, nor suggested there were that many.

The key though is - 43% are VOLUNTARILY uninsured -

FREEDOM

Old 07-14-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whips View Post
2.5 % of 60k base pay is $1500. That cheap compared to $13,000 now. Where do I sign up.

No, no. That will not get you anything. It is simply a fine for you NOT buying insurance.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:03 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,152,376 times
I'm no economist, but I doubt that the taxes on the rich will be enough to cover the to 2 trillion dollar price tag. Are there that many millionaires in America to offset the millions of the uninsured that will be subsidized by this bill?

Does anyone have a link to the specific cuts that will be made to Medicare/Medicaid? I wonder if it will be across the board or hit certain areas of healthcare?

Old 07-14-2009, 07:05 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,927 times
For those that agree with taxing "the rich" What do you consider "rich"? Earning how much per year? Because there are not enough "rich" people to tax to pay for this plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies