Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:36 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,811 times

Advertisements

Put the kids in the Army at age 5 so they can start working on their GED sooner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 01:04 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,775 times
NCLB has done more to improve the lives of the "educational experts" and data analysts than the target group it was designed to help.

NCLB has given the federal government too much say in local education decisions. This has resulted in states and municipalities being held hostage for the funding of NCLB's mandated programs.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:16 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,298,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestClimb View Post
This would be a great start

We could also add positive role models in the community in poor AA neighborhoods. Better mentors to help steer these youths toward educational success
That would help the poor folks but what about the achievement gap among the middle class.

- Reel

Old 07-16-2009, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
I'd like them to start publishing these statistics as it relates to income and parental education. We all know there is a disproportionate number of minorities in the lower levels of the income bracket as well as parents in the lower level of education attainment bracket. It would be nice if instead of lumping all minorities in an under performing group and all whites in an over performing group (to sell papers) they actually focused on those children, who are most likely in need of educational help and spent public monies to help them.
They do look at statistics by income groups. Middle income income blacks do better but so do middle income whites. The gap persists.

Also, Washington DC spends more money per student than any other school district in the country. The results for the Washington DC schools are very poor.

- Reel

Old 07-16-2009, 02:58 AM

I think the graduation rate for the United States as a whole is around 68%. The average IQ in the United States is around 100. I believe it takes an average IQ of about 100 to fully comprehend high school material. Folks with IQs between 90 and 100 could probably graduate with poor grades without fully understanding the material. Twenty five percent of the population has IQs below 90. This could explain most of the 32% who fail to graduate from high school.

I think all students should be tested for aptitude and academic ability. It makes no sense to put all students into an academic setting where 25% are doomed to failure. Those folks could be directed to 'trade-type' schools where they might could learn a trade and other basic life skills.

I realize that this could, and probably would, have a disparate impact on some minorities. That's why this kind of testing is no longer done. The results of such testing would not have to be the determinant factor. But each child could be counseled so that they understand what their chances may be in an academic setting as opposed to a trade type school. Dumping these kids onto the street without basic skills is just not working. Also, we could stop spending more and more money on a problem that may not have a financial solution.

- Reel

Old 07-16-2009, 03:10 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,922,446 times
have you heard the average kid talk these days, regardless of race.

this country has been dumbed down so much through tv and video games.

i personally do not pay attention to scores, i believe it is misleading.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Reelist, thanks for the post.
I found links that pretty much support your findings, if anyone is interested.

IQ and the Wealth of Nations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Look 1/3 down the page for average IQs by nation. The US is ranked tie for 17th, with a score of 98.

US high school graduation rate climbs to 69.2 percent | csmonitor.com
US high school graduation rate climbs to 69.2 percent

Among states, graduation rates vary widely – from a low of 47.3 percent in Nevada to a high of 82.1 percent in New Jersey, according to the "Diplomas Count" study. Gaps have also persisted among subgroups of students: Non-Hispanic whites gained 4 percentage points in the decade examined, rising to a graduation rate of 76.1 percent; the Hispanic rate rose 1.7 points, to 55 percent; the rate among blacks rose 2.4 points, to 51.2 percent.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
NCLB has done much to destroy the American education system.
Dumb down the curriculum so that "No Child is Left Behind".

I had a son just graduate HS. What the schools are doing to pass kids is sickening.
Here's some things that actually occurred during my son's HS years:
-Get an automatic test grades of 100 if you return papers with parent's signature
-Redo tests up to three times to get a passing grade
-grading heavily curved in favor of the lower achievers
-teach to the state tests rather than teach content and apply to state test questions
-push to have all kids take academic courses with college as a goal. Not all kids are college material but there are little to no classes to help them train for jobs after HS

Now move on to let's say the Community College. I recently started taking classes again. I took a remedial math class (Intermediate Algebra) because it's been so long and I needed to get back up to speed. This is HS level math mind you.

Many, many high school graduates were in the class. More than 1/2 of them dropped to where the last couple of classes were mostly the adults that were returning to school. And these kids that dropped just had this stuff a few months to a year ago..but it was so watered down that they couldn't do it.

Education is in sad shape today.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:54 AM

769 posts, read 887,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
I think all students should be tested for aptitude and academic ability. It makes no sense to put all students into an academic setting where 25% are doomed to failure. Those folks could be directed to 'trade-type' schools where they might could learn a trade and other basic life skills.

- Reel
This is a slippery slope though, start with education and we could end up in the same rutt Japan is in; the class you are born into is almost always the class you will end up in. It is a contradiction of the American Dream. I agree the 'trade=type' schools should be an option, but they are. 25% of my high school left every day to go to a trade school. There were there most of the day and came back for basic English, Accounting, etc. If they chose to stay and take Honors courses, it was their choice. We should never lose the choice to try and fail.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:55 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
They do look at statistics by income groups. Middle income income blacks do better but so do middle income whites. The gap persists.

Also, Washington DC spends more money per student than any other school district in the country. The results for the Washington DC schools are very poor.

- Reel
You can spend all the money you want in the world but you can't force someone to want an education or to take advantage of a "free" public education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies