Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:06 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I thought from this quote that you wanted to extend benefits or have the government step in and do something.

If you don't want the government to extend benefits, and you don't understand the concept of toughing it out, what's your plan?
No I simply wanted to know what others thought should be done....and it seems that those who were so worried about the plight of the little guy BEFORE the election now think he should simply 'tough it out'.

By the way,how exactly does one 'tough it out' when there is no money coming in???Perhaps he becomes a hunter/gatherer in the woods...oops nevermind he would need $$ for a hunting license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 10:09 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
No I simply wanted to know what others thought should be done....and it seems that those who were so worried about the plight of the little guy BEFORE the election now think he should simply 'tough it out'.
BULL!

What we think SHOULD happen is that unemployment benefits be extended.
What probably WILL happen is that they will probably need to "tough it out".
Those are 2 VERY different things.

Ken

Old 07-16-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
BULL!

What we think SHOULD happen is that unemployment benefits be extended.
What probably WILL happen is that they will probably need to "tough it out".
Those are 2 VERY different things.

Ken
Okay so they should get more fedgov. help but won't(that doesn't seem very caring on the part of the administration).

And so will have to 'tough it out'.

Could you expand upon what 'toughing it out' entails?

Old 07-16-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Okay so they should get more fedgov. help but won't(that doesn't seem very caring on the part of the administration).

And so will have to 'tough it out'.

Could you expand upon what 'toughing it out' entails?
"Toughing it out" means exactly what's been mentioned here before in this thread - moving in with relatives and cutting back in expenses - the same kinds of things people ALWAYS have to do under dire circumstances.

Regarding the Administration "not being very caring" - I suspect they are a LOT more caring than you are. I've not seen you proposing extending unemployment benefits. In fact, considering your constant complaining about government spending I suspect you'd just as soon get rid of unemployment entirely.

If I'm wrong, go ahead and tell me YOU would be in favor of extending unemployment benefits.

Ken

Old 07-16-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
"Toughing it out" means exactly what's been mentioned here before in this thread - moving in with relatives and cutting back in expenses - the same kinds of things people ALWAYS have to do under dire circumstances.
Psst,for benefits to run out means they have been claiming for over eight months....I am sure they have done these things already.

Quote:
Regarding the Administration "not being very caring" - I suspect they are a LOT more caring than you are.
Well you do not seem to think they will be,you don't believe benefits will be extended....

Quote:
I've not seen you proposing extending unemployment benefits. In fact, considering your constant complaining about government spending I suspect you'd just as soon get rid of unemployment entirely.

If I'm wrong, go ahead and tell me YOU would be in favor of extending unemployment benefits.
Unemployment is paid for by the employee in a roundabout way...it is money that an employer factors into your pay.

Extending the benefits is a little difficult as it would seem that the money has run out in many many states,to continue to do so is to go deeper and deeper into debt by the gov.

Perhaps not throwing money away on businesses might have helped???

Of course if GM and Chrysler hadn't got that money who knows what might have happened....they might have gone bankrupt or something.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Psst,for benefits to run out means they have been claiming for over eight months....I am sure they have done these things already.

Well you do not seem to think they will be,you don't believe benefits will be extended....

Unemployment is paid for by the employee in a roundabout way...it is money that an employer factors into your pay.

Extending the benefits is a little difficult as it would seem that the money has run out in many many states,to continue to do so is to go deeper and deeper into debt by the gov.

Perhaps not throwing money away on businesses might have helped???

Of course if GM and Chrysler hadn't got that money who knows what might have happened....they might have gone bankrupt or something.
Actually, upon further investigation it appears that benefits have already been extended through the end of the year by the "American Recovery and Reinvestment Act". After that we'll have to see.

Ken

Old 07-16-2009, 10:36 AM

291 posts, read 413,930 times
I cant belive no one said, obabba will create jobs so dont worry.
what we will do is any job that will feed us, stand at the corner for work.
trade anything of value for food and clothing and shelter.
squatter rights are already in effect so no problem right ?

Old 07-16-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Actually, upon further investigation it appears that benefits have already been extended through the end of the year by the "American Recovery and Reinvestment Act". After that we'll have to see.

Ken
For some that has run out too....

By the way,did you know those claiming benefits under this act aren't counted as unemployed under U-3???

Weird huh....they are ON fedgov. unemployment but not counted(I believe there is almost two million of them) in the official number of unemployed.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:54 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times
Quote:
Again you seem to miss the point that those jobs ARE being sought out by more and more people....when was the last time you applied to sweep floors or flip burgers?

1: Try not to lose your job.
2: If you do lose your job, try to find another one as soon as possible.
3: If you can't find a job in your field, look in another field.
4: If you can't find a job in your locality, move to where jobs are available.
5: If you can't move to find a job, start your own business. Tons of grants available to do so if you just LOOK.
6: Don't be too proud to work more than one job, or work menial jobs to get by. It's better than being a drain on society.

And for the poster who said I'm unrealistic in my opinion -- I've never been unemployed more than a couple weeks in my life, since the time I was 12 years old. Why? Because I look hard for jobs and I'm not too proud to take an interim position that I don't like, while I hunt for something I do like.

Anyone who lives in the USA lives in a country that has wonderful available opportunities for success even in a heavy recession. If dirt-poor, uneducated immigrants can come here not knowing the language, and in a short period of time own their own successful business and support themselves and their families, then anyone who was born here and has had all the opportunities this country provides since the moment of birth has NO EXCUSE to complain.

Anyone who wants to work badly enough can find work, or make their own job, period.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:48 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
By the way,how exactly does one 'tough it out' when there is no money coming in???Perhaps he becomes a hunter/gatherer in the woods...oops nevermind he would need $$ for a hunting license.
There isn't enough game left to support many people. I suggest watching "Cinderella Man" again for some pointers on survival when times are tough. Cooperation with others will be very helpful if you can arrange it. Bartering will be wide-spread. Multi-generational households will be common again. Back yard victory gardens will be necesssary; self-reliance will be they key: don't count on anyone else to care about your survival! They will be very busy surviving themselves.

Last edited by Bideshi; 07-18-2009 at 10:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies