Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this the right thing?
Yes. They should spend their hard earned money on the slackers of society 40 35.09%
No! This is outrageous 64 56.14%
No 10 8.77%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:20 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
I doubt anyone in here has a 7 figure salary. Quit whining already booho wahhh. Besides, people with a salary like that have dozens of tax write-offs that'll probably end up saving them half the tax dollars they'd give up under the Obama plan. Boo freaking hoo, I've never seen a group of people whine so much about something that doesn't effect them, in fact it'll probably help them. Cry me a river
What is bs is this constant talk of tax write-offs. Guess what? A lot of people make money and are phased out of almost every single write-off. In fact, you have fewer write-offs.

Tell your envious little selves whatever you want, but not that little lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 02:51 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I had a choice to not be poor. Awesome. At least I can think of what might have been while I'm falling to my death.
You are free to choose how you will live and based on your decisions you will deal with the consequences of those choices. That is your choice and your decision. If you choose poorly, you can learn from it or choose not to and suffer wallowing in that ignorance and displaced blame.

It is a simple concept of what we call "being an adult". We used to teach responsibility to our children, but apparently that is too harsh so now we let them make all kinds of poor decisions and then tell them it isn't their fault, it isn't their responsibility and others should have to clean up for them.

I have lived hard times before. I always did what I could to improve. Sometimes I fell backwards, made poor decisions and suffered the consequences of them. I learned and tried to avoid those mistakes continuing to find purchase in improvement.

I have never taken unemployment, even when I had it due. I have never taken government assistance, even though I may have qualified for it at times. I believe in being fully responsible for myself. It is the ultimate freedom to be able to choose freely and be held accountable to my decisions. I would have it no other way. It is the true essence of freedom, a concept many have bled for and something I am willing to do the same.

You may think I am being harsh, but people today have become spoiled, they have given up their very freedoms for some spare change or distant promise of reward. They think they are the ones gaining benefit, but the are blinded by their desires. They will suffer a fate far more harsh than my simple words if they continue their path. They will sell the only thing worth having and that is the freedom to live and decide by their own hand.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:54 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I have never taken unemployment, even when I had it due.
Good for you. Me too.

I'm not really on welfare, I just pretend to be wherever people are ranting about it.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:56 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
45% tax now on $1 million earners

All of this to now pay for Bama's health care plan. Your thoughts?

The Associated Press: House plan boosts taxes on rich to 20-year high

I think it's fantastic!

I only wish it were higher!

Old 07-16-2009, 03:26 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I had a choice to not be poor. Awesome. At least I can think of what might have been while I'm falling to my death.
I made the choice to stop being poor about 25 years ago. It worked out pretty good.

After blowing every penny I'd saved in the service (which wasn't nearly as much as it should have been) I ended up living in a room in the 3rd ward of Houston. After that I lived under a tree in Northern CA and bathed in an icy river. I spent 4 years being a soldier, then as a laborer in a steel mill, then I fed a gang saw in a sawmill. I was going nowhere till I made the choice. I got no help and broke no laws to pull myself out. Now I live in Piedmont, CA. I'm not yet 50, retired, and my really freaking nice home in the East Bay Hills was paid off years ago.

Yeah, I've got more than a couple of coins to rub together. I worked my butt off for every penny and I'm not so thrilled about having my taxes raised more to pay for the maintenence and upkeep of slackers, junkies, and land whales who ate themselves into a tax supplied motorized chair. I have no problem with helping people with real disabilities or even a string of bad bad luck but problems that arise from laziness, gluttony, and downright ineptitude should not be the burden of taxpayers. If those people were cut off from the cashflow from the Bureau of Enablement, they might be inspired to get a job.

I donate a significant amount to charity and environmental groups. Yes, most of that is a tax writeoff but it's also clear than may folks on this board don't understand that it's not actually a writeoff. You don't get that money deducted from your taxes. It only means that portion isn't taxed. You actually get to choose which cause you support rather than having the government ram it up your behind . It's not the free lunch so many seem to think it is. The tax deduction for charitable contribution is actually one of the only truly fair parts of the tax code!

BTW, I do realize that you're just baiting and playing devils advocate for giggles and grins but I'm responding more to the attitude of the post than to you personally or even the post itself. All I have left to say is...

Sorry brother, no sympathy here.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:29 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I think it's fantastic!

I only wish it were higher!
Ok cool. So can this homeless guy down the street come into your house and steal all of your stuff?

He needs to sell it all to buy some "food" for himself.

I told him it would be ok if he did.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:34 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
How about this? Have you lived in a county with National Healthcare? Probably not...I have in England and Germany and I remember that it took us up to 3 months just to see a doctor for just about anything. Most of those doctors were uneducated and didn't know what the hell they were doing. Is that a better option? Go live in those countries for about a year and then have a solid opinion. Anyone who thinks this option is a good idea is "bizarre".
Well I live in in the US and if I want to make an appt with my doctor for a check up, I still wait up to 3 months (or longer). In fact, I needed a physical and I made the appt in July and didn't get in until Xmas eve. If I have an emergency, I can see someone sooner. I haven't heard that those in other countries with National Healthcare have to wait a long time if it is an emergency. I don't know first hand, just what I have been told and read.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:45 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,009 times
I've been poor, and still am. But in no way do I think those that strike it rich, create something, or work harder or better than I do should have to pay more for the roads I drive on, more for the school my kid goes to, more for anything.

The rich spend more and makes others richer- as in....if the rich spend millions on a house to build and buy property....so many are making out. Yet each year they must pay more and more (on top of the initial purchase) for taxes.

Never made sense to me. It should be just like a sales tax....everyone pays the same.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:00 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I assume someone else will be paying for your HC? One can hardly expect a different attitude from the entitlement mentality.
You assume wrong (what else is new?).

I do very well.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:54 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I made the choice to stop being poor about 25 years ago. It worked out pretty good.
I made that same choice many years ago and then, 15 years ago, I was hit with divorce and lost everything. In fact, much of it I didn't even fight for because it/she wasn't worth the hassle. Looking back, the divorce would have been cheap at twice the price.

At the end of ast year I retired and my wife of 12 years and I will be quite comfortable if Obamenomics don't take us to the cleaners while trying to play Robin Hood.

I know there are those who don't want to hear or believe it but some of us really can make it on our own without government (taxpayer) handouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies