Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this the right thing?
Yes. They should spend their hard earned money on the slackers of society 40 35.09%
No! This is outrageous 64 56.14%
No 10 8.77%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:11 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
....then go cry me a river....there's far worse in this thread and on CD in general.
Tell that to someone who earned one of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 07:22 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
That is the problem, you do too much guessing and not enough fact searching. It is why you jump on the bandwagon with the social mob and are easily led by controlling parties with agendas. A pawn, nothing more and pawns are designed for sacrifice. I hope you like playing the part of fodder.
You yourself said you made enough money to buy your own health insurance. Is that not a fact? The rest of your post is as nonsensical as all your previous ones.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:30 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
"For what does it profit a man if he gains the world but loses his soul?" The idea that people value money above human life depresses and scares me. And the idea that people are so foolish that they actually buy the insurance companies spin that somehow you lose if the insurance companies don't make billions and billions of dollars off of giving people as little health care as possible for as much money as possible is mind boggling.
Now that's right on. Their ridiculous belief system made suckers out of them.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:39 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Your boat is so full of self-righteous bitterness and holes it won't even make it out of the harbor.

I continue to be amazed at how cavalier some are with others' money. It begs the question as to why anyone would bother working hard to get ahead.

Now, filled with hubris, the malcontents are going to tell me what to do with my earnings and where to live? I don't think so. Ya see, I'm one of those true Americans who stood up and fought to defend the rights you enjoy.

People rarely fully appreciate anything they're given for free. It's what they've worked for that they cherish and preserve.

Then again, it's nothing more than I expect from a tejano!

No wonder this country is on the down-hill slide with such as you taking up otherwise useful space in it.
" Then again, it's nothing more than I expect from a tejano!"

*sigh*

You really lost all credibility you might have had with that sentence, not that you had any credibility in the first place.

What makes you a better American than anyone else? All I see from you are pompous, self-righteous posts that indicate that you really don't give a damn about your fellow man.

If you don't want to be a part of a society where everyone's duty is to contribute and help those who are less fortunate, I suggest you go find yourself a desert island somewhere and be truly self-sufficient.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:

*sigh*

You really lost all credibility you might have had with that sentence, not that you had any credibility in the first place.

What makes you a better American than anyone else? All I see from you are pompous, self-righteous posts that indicate that you really don't give a damn about your fellow man.

If you don't want to be a part of a society where everyone's duty is to contribute and help those who are less fortunate, I suggest you go find yourself a desert island somewhere and be truly self-sufficient.
Perhaps with you but that won't ruin my day because it really doesn't matter.

It would likely surprise you to know that that included in my 45 year work history, 35 of them were spent in service to the country and its citizens; to include specific healthcare-related services and assistance to the mentally ill, the developmentally disabled and the elderly. Now you may not consider military and law enforcement to be of service to those less fortunate but I can assure you that most of them did as did those of us who provided them.

What I consider pompous and self-righteous are those who dare tell me how to dispose of what I have earned as a result of those many years of service which likely span a longer period than many of them have been alive.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 07-16-2009 at 08:30 PM..

Old 07-16-2009, 07:56 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
For all of those on this thread who talk about people who don't have insurance being "losers", "lazy", etc., you can suck it. My friend died of cancer, he didn't have insurance which is why he didn't go to the doctor til it was too late. I got his bill after he died, it was for around $100,000. Did your heart leap out of your throat? Mine did when I saw that bill. My friend right now doesn't have health insurance, he was denied insurance by Badger Care & he makes very little money. He's looking for another job, right now he does free-lance. And if something were to happen to him? He'd be sh*t out of luck. I have NO problem w/my tax money going towards a universal health care program so ALL people can get health care. I don't care if they're total strangers. But I'm crazy like that, I actually have compassion for others. Many of you don't & I actually feel bad for you & your sinister disgusting attitude.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:59 PM

422 posts, read 756,998 times
Quote:

*sigh*

Ahh leave him alone not worth it, yah I'm a tejano, means I was born and raised in Texas by Italian Immigrants and Texans, hope you feel better about stereotyping with names. I'm a highly educated educator of the Texas system and I would gladly give my 4500 a year to the UHC if it meant some poor soul got some medical attention. I spent 2.5 years in Afghanistan and have 19 medals including a bronze star and a purple heart...want me to go on....didn't think so....these forums are anonymous I would becareful who you judge on here....

Old 07-16-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
For all of those on this thread who talk about people who don't have insurance being "losers", "lazy", etc., you can suck it. My friend died of cancer, he didn't have insurance which is why he didn't go to the doctor til it was too late. I got his bill after he died, it was for around $100,000. Did your heart leap out of your throat? Mine did when I saw that bill. My friend right now doesn't have health insurance, he was denied insurance by Badger Care & he makes very little money. He's looking for another job, right now he does free-lance. And if something were to happen to him? He'd be sh*t out of luck. I have NO problem w/my tax money going towards a universal health care program so ALL people can get health care. I don't care if they're total strangers. But I'm crazy like that, I actually have compassion for others. Many of you don't & I actually feel bad for you & your sinister disgusting attitude.
Go easy now, especially with those of us who are old farts. Many of us have friends and/or relatives who have faced similar situations. Not all the outcomes have been positive.

I don't believe it's lack of compassion. I think it's more a matter of degrees. I would gladly help provide towards universal healthcare coverage IF I had assurances that I could retain what I have now and not see it diminished or made conditional; i.e. having to pay a penalty to keep it or suddenly lacking the ability to change or upgrade it at my own costs and IF, and this is the big one, I was convinced that EVERYONE would be required to participate at a level commensurate with their earnings, if any, and, as government is wont to do, required participation didn't increase year after year as funds were redirected to others' pet projects.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:06 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
45% tax now on $1 million earners

All of this to now pay for Bama's health care plan. Your thoughts?

The Associated Press: House plan boosts taxes on rich to 20-year high

When have we ever not paid for the poor people in this country?

We've been doing it since 1930's and you seriously think that is going to change.

Let's put the tax rate in perspective. I think many people quickly forgot the tax rate on the Wealthy before the Regan-Kemp tax cuts in 1981.

The highest tax rates reached more than 70% for those making in the top 1% in the 50-70's. I think many people are being history revisionist and are conveniently excluding this fact from their memory. Do you have an idea, how massive the tax cuts were for the Rich in the 1980's? (Granted everyone received the tax break).

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=16385

"In 1978, I had, along with my Senate colleague Bill Roth of Delaware, co-sponsored the Kemp-Roth Bill that advocated a 30 percent across-the-board tax rate cut. The top rate in the '70s was 70 percent, and the capital gains rate was 49 percent. I argued that lower tax rates on labor and capital would grow the economy and put an end to the Keynesian dilemma of simultaneous inflation coupled to recession." Jack Kemp

Now, that being said, it does not mean that i agree with the tax increases, I'm just merely point out historical fact. Relax, and stop going so nuts, this did not destroy the American Economy in the 50's-70s and i highly do not anticipate it will destroy the economy this time around. In fact, if you remember post war, the American economy grew at a rapid rate even with these high tax burdens placed on the rich. Funny thing happened during those periods as well. The money supply increased at a very high rate during those 20 years, which helped increase and raise salaries, and also lead to a bit of inflation, but in the end, i think "chicken little the sky is not falling down."

Old 07-16-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejano2828 View Post
Ahh leave him alone not worth it, yah I'm a tejano, means I was born and raised in Texas by Italian Immigrants and Texans, hope you feel better about stereotyping with names. I'm a highly educated educator of the Texas system and I would gladly give my 4500 a year to the UHC if it meant some poor soul got some medical attention. I spent 2.5 years in Afghanistan and have 19 medals including a bronze star and a purple heart...want me to go on....didn't think so....these forums are anonymous I would becareful who you judge on here....
Apologies then. That is not the usual definition of a tejano. Thanks for your service and I'm glad you made it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies