U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-15-2009, 07:00 PM
 
Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 5,282,630 times
Reputation: 668

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
Never been to DC - live no where close - I've no way of knowing whether gentrification is taking place or not. If it is, whats causing it?
DC was very poor. the urban sprawl in that area is totally absurd, so people stopped moving to the burbs. they started moving back into the city and cleaning up the neighborhoods, raising property taxes and displacing the poor. the gay community did a great job with dupont circle. that used to be ghetto, but now it's really nice. the crime is moving out of the city. plus, not having a crackhead mayor helps.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2009, 07:00 PM
 
4,586 posts, read 4,952,839 times
Reputation: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
LOL - it'll be interesting to see how the libs respond to this.
That was easily refuted..LOL
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2009, 07:02 PM
 
Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 5,282,630 times
Reputation: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
I unlike YOU grew up IN D.C. during those years. The crime rate in all of the surrounding jurisdictions are also down. Barry wasn't a "nationwide" Mayor..Crack was an epedemic across the country and those two were in charge of the country and created the fictitional drug war.
I lived in the DC area, 5 miles outside the city, for most of my life, and you are only 11 years old. at least I think that's what you said. it's gentrification, and nothing else. you gave the example of DC, and I corrected your words to be factually correct. they built a baseball stadium in what was one of the worst neighborhoods.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2009, 07:03 PM
 
4,586 posts, read 4,952,839 times
Reputation: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
DC was very poor. the urban sprawl in that area is totally absurd, so people stopped moving to the burbs. they started moving back into the city and cleaning up the neighborhoods, raising property taxes and displacing the poor. the gay community did a great job with dupont circle. that used to be ghetto, but now it's really nice. the crime is moving out of the city. plus, not having a crackhead mayor helps.
Dupont circle was NEVER a ghetto..It's always been the "gay" part of town. Some gentrification did occur in small sections of the U Street Corridor and areas near RFK but there has been very little if any east of the Anacostia where the vast majority of the murders were occuring.

Stick to VA where you're most likely from.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2009, 07:04 PM
 
48,509 posts, read 85,500,028 times
Reputation: 18097
But the thning is for most even the administrtion agrees at last that the unemploymnet that got above their *% nationally will get higher. Businesses hav ecut ;lpeople are not buying ;so even with profits improved the hiring isn't going to happen. There is every indiction that has even people with a job have losses its changed their hapbits for some time.Could be a large per centage will permanently change their spending habits. Rememebr that teh 70's recession caused a whole generation to never reenter the markets. That os not likely with changin pensions but they can stop ohter activity like spending habits for a generation.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2009, 07:05 PM
 
4,126 posts, read 4,539,076 times
Reputation: 1615
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
it's called gentrification.
...and now the gentries have guns!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2009, 07:07 PM
 
Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 5,282,630 times
Reputation: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Dupont circle was NEVER a ghetto..It's always been the "gay" part of town. Some gentrification did occur in small sections of the U Street Corridor and areas near RFK but there has been very little if any east of the Anacostia where the vast majority of the murders were occuring.

Stick to VA where you're most likely from.
dupont was rough. you ain't been around all that long kiddo. I am actually from detroit, and know ghettos you have never dreamed of.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2009, 07:08 PM
 
4,586 posts, read 4,952,839 times
Reputation: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I lived in the DC area, 5 miles outside the city, for most of my life, and you are only 11 years old. at least I think that's what you said. it's gentrification, and nothing else. you gave the example of DC, and I corrected your words to be factually correct. they built a baseball stadium in what was one of the worst neighborhoods.
And what was that neighborhood?? They built the stadium on the banks of the Anacostia where nothing but vacant buildings stood. That's ONE small section of a vast city you surely don't know. That area of SW is a mixure of good and bad and not even remotely the worst in the city. Got to cross that bridge behind the stadium to see the worst which you haven't.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2009, 07:10 PM
 
Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 5,282,630 times
Reputation: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
And what was that neighborhood?? They built the stadium on the banks of the Anacostia where nothing but vacant buildings stood. That's ONE small section of a vast city you surely don't know. That area of SW is a mixure of good and bad and not even remotely the worst in the city. Got to cross that bridge behind the stadium to see the worst which you haven't.
you are from bethesda.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2009, 07:12 PM
 
4,586 posts, read 4,952,839 times
Reputation: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
dupont was rough. you ain't been around all that long kiddo. I am actually from detroit, and know ghettos you have never dreamed of.
Dude I'm the same age as you and actually GREW UP IN DC..18 years worth..Not VA or MD when I was 11 but DC from birth to 18. Dupont would NEVER be considered rough. You probably consider Georgetown rough then. I don't know shyt about Detroit and wouldn't pretend I do like you shouldn't pretend to know D.C.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top