Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: waterboard or not
yes 39 56.52%
no 30 43.48%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 06:54 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,452,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Wrong.. and that should be evident by my first response to you, now if you actually feel that way about yourself, I can not help that....... As I said I dont even want to discuss if it is or isnt torture, but I will say, myself, if I knew I could indeed stop 3000 Americans from dying, by torturing someone I would..sorry...........
My entire point has been that you wouldn't know.

If we could know that it would be effective in advance (which means knowing that an attack was planned AND knowing that the information provided would be true AND knowing that we could use the information to do something to prevent it), then I'd be for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 06:56 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,817,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
Look, if I knew for sure that putting someone through excruciating pain would save thousands of lives... yeah, I guess I'd do it. Khalid Shaikh Mohammed who provided accurate intelligence before they started water boarding him?
thank you see that wasnt so hard......... actually waterboarding him gave them information that prevented having a hole in the ground in LA the size of the one in New York, he became a virtual consultant in the prevention of more attacks.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:57 PM

551 posts, read 1,924,144 times
Quote:
Simple question, If you knew for a fact that you could have prevented the terrorist attack on 9/11 by waterboarding a prisoner, would you ?
If it worked, I'd say yes! If it didn't work and it is a fact the terrorist killed an American, I'd say yes, on a daily basis until his trial and hanging.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:11 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,860,174 times
Quote:
Simple question, If you knew for a fact that you could have prevented the terrorist attack on 9/11 by waterboarding a prisoner, would you ?
Gladly. Gleefully. And with extreme prejudice.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:12 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,384,997 times
Quote:
thank you see that wasnt so hard......... actually waterboarding him gave them information that prevented having a hole in the ground in LA the size of the one in New York, he became a virtual consultant in the prevention of more attacks.
Understand that I don't accept your premise that water boarding would provide the info needed to prevent the attack. I qualified the answer saying that if water boarding guaranteed a truthful answer, I'd consider it. But it doesn't... so I wouldn't.

Ok?

Old 07-15-2009, 07:40 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,084,852 times
Not only would I do it, but I would enjoy doing so immensely! Pouring a little water upsomeone's nose to save even one American is not a bad thing. As for the Geneva Convestion, do you remember the slaughtered, burned, and strung-up Americans who the crowds took great pleasure in displaying to the world? What about Nick Berg, the American who was beheaded on tape? Did you watch that and listen to him scream? Remember Daniel Pearl? Have you seen the people dancing and shouting "Death to America"? Note they did not say "Death to America But Only Within the Confines of the Geneva Convention".

A little water up the nose is nothing. I'd be willing to slowly hand feed them into a meat grinder if it saved one of US.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:48 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
The USA pushed for the adoption of the Nuremberg Doctrine as International Law, now we say it doesn't apply to us? In the Doolittle Raid on Tokyo, Army bombers took off from an aircraft carrier that they could not return to. The Japanese didn't know where the attack came from, and feared another attack. They Waterboarded the Americans they had captured to find out where the attack had come from. We hung all of the Japanese involved

Old 07-15-2009, 07:54 PM

481 posts, read 805,845 times
It has been proven that torture does not produce meaningful information. It is barbaric.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:48 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,387,780 times
Quote:
No because waterboarding does not prevent attacks. All waterboarding and other forms of torture do is get the prisoner to tell you what you want to hear regardless of whether it is true or not.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:53 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,183 times
Your 100% nuts! Gone! Wake up! All terrorists are barbaric!! We cant be weasels and sit back and do nothing! Who cares how our enemies feel? Teach them a true lesson and they will stop messing with us all together! Like a kid being bullied, that nice talking your way out of it works like 12% of the time! If that! Crush and hurt who messes with you, with America and we will be fine!

Remember obama is weak! Super scared and weak! Thats why America is falling apart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
It has been proven that torture does not produce meaningful information. It is barbaric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies