Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 02:23 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

[quote=ergohead;9847425]What would the difference in damage be if it had been hit by a bunker-buster, Mr. Pentagon Man?

The airplanes that hit the towers never made it intact to the middle of the building. No two feet of concrete there. Just a bunch of fancy desks and chairs.quote]

They weren't really that fancy, except maybe in the big exec offices. And per NYFD code, they had to be fireproofed at $500 a pop. Waste of money, that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
The human mind is malleable. One can be completely coerced to a certain point of view and not even be aware of the process. Ideas can and are implanted from a distance, even electromagnetically. Do not underestimate the powers that be. They are in the business of manufacturing certain realities. And those realities are meant to supplant your own for their benefit. Knowing this is occurring then, it can be inferred that no one who is unaware of this process can ever really know what happened. Until, that is, they are able to distinguish their own true thoughts from those that are externally applied.
Very good. Sounds as if that's exactly what has happened to you, via YouTube.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:33 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,594,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am a survivor of the WTC attacks - North Tower, 43rd floor at 8:46 a.m.

Neil0311, you've hit the nail on the head. This conspiracy crap is all just rehashed Robert Ludlum novels from the 1970's and the movies and TV shows of the same caliber that have spawned since that time, updated and tossed through the Internet. Shadow Governments, secret plots, I read all this 30 years ago!

Real engineers who worked at GZ and Fresh Kills will tell you that there was no evidence of explosives, and in fact, can explain the global collapse in such a way that a layperson can understand it. And, no, they are not {{JARRING CHORD}} government agents.
Here is a credible post. Here is someone who lived through this horrible event. I hope all of you read this, and get it through your heads..we were attacked on 9/11. Innocent people died and the survivors will never be the same. This was not Bush or Cheney or Rumsfeld. All of you loons around the country who were not involved in this like we were, need to keep their insane opinions to themselves. Better yet...get therapy !!!

Old 07-29-2009, 02:33 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Or so they tell you on the Internet truther sites.

William Rodriguez was never the "head maintenance man". Further, he was on the B-2 level when the plane hit. I was on 43 and I didn't know it was a plane that hit us, so tell me how this guy knew WHEN the plane hit 500 feet overhead when he is thirty feet underground? (He claims he heard explosions before the plane hit--how did he know this was before the plane hit??? Makes no sense.)

Further, we survivors talk to one another, and I spoke with three electricians who were on B-3, the level below Rodriguez. The shafts for the "cattle-car" elevators--the big 9 X 12 expresses to 44 terminated on that level. What they witnessed were the elevator doors blowing out spewing fire and bodies everywhere. This couldn't be what Willie heard a floor above?

And I know people who were on 44 and had just stepped off an elevator when they were thrown across the lobby and witnessed the elevator cars fill with fire and engulf the screaming people still in the cabs, and then watched them drop.

Everyone else's stories seem to fit together, except Willie's.

I hate to dis the guy, because he did stay there and saved a few people who might not have gotten out otherwise. The prevailing thought on why he's saying what he's saying is PTSD, but at this point, I am jaded enough to think he is just enjoying the attention he's getting.
He said he heard explosions before the building collapsed.

Would you be so kind to explain all of the molten steel found in the debris - and also offer your explanation as to how kerosene could have melted steel?

Old 07-29-2009, 02:39 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post

Would you be so kind to explain all of the molten steel found in the debris - and also offer your explanation as to how kerosene could have melted steel?
Jet fuel is noxious stuff, and easily distorts steel in small spaces. Especially after you ram a 50 ton jet into at at 600 mph.

Jet fuel burns at 800° to 1500°F, not hot enough to melt steel (2750°F). However, experts agree that for the towers to collapse, their steel frames didn't need to melt, they just had to lose some of their structural strength — and that required exposure to much less heat. "I have never seen melted steel in a building fire," says retired New York deputy fire chief Vincent Dunn, author of The Collapse Of Burning Buildings: A Guide To Fireground Safety. "But I've seen a lot of twisted, warped, bent and sagging steel. What happens is that the steel tries to expand at both ends, but when it can no longer expand, it sags and the surrounding concrete cracks."

"Steel loses about 50 percent of its strength at 1100°F," notes senior engineer Farid Alfawak-hiri of the American Institute of Steel Construction. "And at 1800° it is probably at less than 10 percent." NIST also believes that a great deal of the spray-on fireproofing insulation was likely knocked off the steel beams that were in the path of the crashing jets, leaving the metal more vulnerable to the heat.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...42.html?page=4

Last edited by subsound; 07-29-2009 at 02:49 PM..

Old 07-29-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Jet fuel is noxious stuff
So is Di*k Cheney.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Jet fuel is noxious stuff, and easily melts steel in small spaces. Especially after you ram a 50 jet into at at 600 mph.
Oh! Of course!

Now it all makes sense!

NOT!

Old 07-29-2009, 02:46 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,594,130 times
Quote:

I'll answer that. The impact of the planes hitting the towers caused the spray on fire proofing to shake loose from the supports. Once steel is unprotected, it will melt just like any other metal...especially when exposed to temp of about 2200 deg F. I work in emergency mgmt in NYC with the FDNY so I would suggest that you stay off the loonie websites and go get some credible facts about what happened on 9/11

Old 07-29-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
I'll answer that. The impact of the planes hitting the towers caused the spray on fire proofing to shake loose from the supports. Once steel is unprotected, it will melt just like any other metal...especially when exposed to temp of about 2200 deg F. I work in emergency mgmt in NYC with the FDNY so I would suggest that you stay off the loonie websites and go get some credible facts about what happened on 9/11
You should have finished high school.

Kerosene Burns at approx. 575 degrees in open air

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_tempe..._kerosene_burn

What's the melting point of steel?

Kerosene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by ergohead; 07-29-2009 at 03:20 PM..

Old 07-29-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:

Everyone "knows" about the molten steel found in the debris but no one seems to have actually witnessed this. I know George Tamaro, one of the contractors whose firm took one of the quadrants for the cleanup is quoted as having said he saw some. The fire burned for what...100 days? I'm not an expert on whether any metals could melt or what the temps were down there over those months, so I really don't know.

And no one ever claimed that any steel melted (I assume you're referring to a cause of collapse), so I don't know where you're going with that. I know it's a popular claim on the truther sites.

There were enormous amounts of fire inside, and fire can weaken steel, which was a contributing factor, but basically it's common sense. The support structure was heavily damaged--there's absolutely no question about that--other elements then have to pick up the design loads, and eventually they couldn't hold the weight and gave way. What IS amazing is that the buildings stood for as long as they did, enabling 15000 of us to get out alive before they fell.

It is somewhat amazing to me that on the Naudet film AA11 looks as if it is smoothly parking itself into the building. It was hell inside, we felt like we were going over sideways, fire blasting, ceilings crumbling, and the building never righted--it was at a lean and you could tell that in the stairs. The steel sounded horrible, screaming and going one way and not coming back and not sounding at all like it normally did, so you knew something was really really wrong.

Yes, there were many sounds of explosions throughout the entire event. Random, not timed. And "explosion" does not equal "bomb".

How about those 1400 destroyed vehicles that were carried into Fresh Kills? None of them were the results of explosions? How about the pieces of the building that were crashing down between impact and collapse? None of those sounds could be called explosions? The heavy mechanical equipment in the MERS on 41/42 75/75 and 108? None of that crashing down would sound like an explosion? People running from the building before the collapse were impaled by steel breaking off the exterior and crushed by chunks of concrete. Throw something large from a few hundred feet up and see if it makes a loud sound or just quietly falls to the ground. Hell, watch the Naudet film and listen to what the bodies of the jumpers sounded like when they hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies