Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:42 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,029,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I actually find it fascinating. Time-consuming, but fascinating.
I hear you...it IS time consuming and has given me a whole new appreciation of the folks who research these things like this for the POTUS..of course their access and info is a lot better,but still....We've only been farting around for a few minutes at it and my eyes are already crossing. Pretty neat tho'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 02:44 PM

551 posts, read 853,169 times
Happy to hear that Sotomayor will "sacrifce" on yer Supreme Court income:

Quote:
Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor says she's lived on a judge's salary for 17 years, and she can, in her words, "suffer through more of it."
Supreme Court justices make a little more than $200,000 a year.

Sotomayor was responding Thursday to questions from Republican Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama, who asked if the nominee can continue to live on a salary that Sotomayor had earlier said was much less than she was making in private practice.

Sotomayor said pay is a "difficult" issue for many judges, who she said haven't received a significant raise in more than 20 years.

But Sessions pointed out that the Supreme Court salary is about four times the size of the average family income in the nation. And he told her that if she can't live on that, she shouldn't take the job.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:44 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,735,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I hear you...it IS time consuming and has given me a whole new appreciation of the folks who research these things like this for the POTUS..of course their access and info is a lot better,but still....We've only been farting around for a few minutes at it and my eyes are already crossing. Pretty neat tho'.
I'll make a deal with you. If I come across a candidate I really like, I'll pm you, and you can have a whack at 'em. Don't be surprised, though, if my candidate is more liberal than you would like. I do sit on that side of the fence, after all.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I'll make a deal with you. If I come across a candidate I really like, I'll pm you, and you can have a whack at 'em. Don't be surprised, though, if my candidate is more liberal than you would like. I do sit on that side of the fence, after all.
Deal....although I am a HARDCORE Dem and socially very liberal....I am almost a rabid right winger when it comes to crime and punishment,illegals and gun owners rights....so we may find the right person together anyway

I'm not kidding...this crap is WAY more intense than I thought it would be.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:54 PM

439 posts, read 442,142 times
It was nice to see the Democrats take the process seriously.

They put comic Al Franken on the Judiciary committee.

Instead of asking her to retract her racist statement that she would make better decisions that any whitey, Franken wiped the wetness behind his ears and asked her about her memory of TV trivia.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:09 PM

1,179 posts, read 3,795,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
In response to some of the questions she was asked, specifically the ones about her comments that included references to ethnicity/backround, it seems to me that she did a lot of back pedalling and misdirection. She was asked a few of those questions again and/or told she didn't answer the actual question. What do you think?
I agree she never directly answered the question, at least during the time I was watching. She did seem to be doing some major backpedaling. Frankly I don't see why they are even bothering with the whole charade. The Republicans are afraid to ask too many hard questions so as not to offend the hispanic voters, and the dems nominated her just to make points with the hispanic voters. The fact that she said something that if a white man had said he wouldn't even still be considered for the post, and it's apparently ok for her to say just offends me to no end. The whole thing is just a travesty so they should quit wasting time and move on to fixing the darn unemployment situation.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:38 PM

16,950 posts, read 16,189,386 times
I just finished watching some of the testimony from today's panel (I didn't get to see the whole thing). But the New Haven firefighters from the Ricci vs. Destefano case were really impressive.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:54 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,735,191 times
It appears she'll be confirmed before the end of the month. Maybe next Tuesday?

Old 07-16-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
It appears she'll be confirmed before the end of the month. Maybe next Tuesday?
Yes,I think she'll sail through the way things going right now.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Joe White View Post
It was nice to see the Democrats take the process seriously.

They put comic Al Franken on the Judiciary committee.

Instead of asking her to retract her racist statement that she would make better decisions that any whitey, Franken wiped the wetness behind his ears and asked her about her memory of TV trivia.
It was kind of funny watching that limp wristed Graham try to play the "tough guy" .....I'll bet he gets to play the girl role in his "relationships" and actually enjoys getting to role play as the tough guy every once in awhile..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies