Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 12:09 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
go fight with the dept of soc sec's budget committee then. they were allotted $400/night/hotel room, btw.
Nah, I think I'll let the congresspeople take care of that for me. That's what their salaries are supposedly going toward.

The only thing more ridiculous than this sabbatical is the idea that SSA employees need to "destress". Every day at work is like a little vacation for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 12:09 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
oh but he is to limit how much a ceo an american citizen can earn. Tell me what president has told a citizen how much they can earn before

You act like he cant fire someone for not doing as he says lol

Really he hasnt changed the standard of light bulbs? Yes he did tell us what temp we should keep our house. He even wants in the cap and trade bill that we have to have certain windows and such to be able to sell our house the energy efficent that he wishes

yet he cant tell the head of the social security office look put this conference off till a later date.

He cant have Pelosi do something for them.

Nothing but excuses and no outrage at gov waste
Either (1) you're so blinded by hatred of Obama that you can't think logically, or (2) you've been brainwashed by Limbaugh and his shrill brethren or (3) you really have no clue about how government works. Or perhaps it's some combination of these things. But you clearly do not understand that Obama, even though he is head of the executive branch of government, does not have the sweeping power to do the things that you want him to be able to do. Hugo Chavez has that kind of power. Kim Jong Il has that kind of power. Medyedev probably still has that kind of power. Obama, thankfully, does not have that kind of power.

As far as outrage at government waste, I and others have said repeatedly that the SSA probably could, and should, have found another way to do what they needed to do. But that still does not make it Obama's fault.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:11 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Why would I have a link to my grandma's cut in entitlements? What do you think she does? Maintain a blog site or something? SS told her that they re evaluated her survivor's benefits and that they've been overpaying her $97 dollars per month for years. That's it. No further explanation. THank you for your support.
Hey guy, you gave no explanation and I offered links and possible reasons why. I suggested that you help her out.

If you only give half a story and whine about it, expect this kind of response.
No need to be a jerk about it.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:11 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
You know, I got off the phone with my grandma last weekend. She's 94, healthy but you know, has the regular aches and pains, has worked hard her whole life, is widowed, lives on a fixed income, and she told me that the SS office sent her a letter saying they were cutting her monthly entitlements by $97 dollars. Might not seem like a big deal but that's alot to an elderly person living on a fixed income. That could go towards groceries, especially in a high cost of living area like Chicago. Anyway, at first they told her she'd have to pay back all the money they "overpaid" her---then they backed off. So when I hear stuff like this 700K junkett, it just jacks my jaw.
You should definitely ask her to send you a copy of the letter to see what's going on. My mom is on SS and there haven't been any across-the-board benefit cuts that I'm aware of.

ETA: I just saw your other post. So they overpaid her and now they're going to stop. I'm sure it will be hard on your grandmother, but it's not an outrageous action on part of the SSA. In fact, it seems like their auditing regs must be working.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:16 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,342 times
Quote:
you're 2 for 2 with the mystifying nonsense. Obama =/= Bush. I dont get it about Jimmy. Perhaps if you stayed on topic.

For once I agree with you. Obama is far worse than Bush was.

Looks like the Blue team wins! Congrats!!

Old 07-16-2009, 12:17 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You should definitely ask her to send you a copy of the letter to see what's going on. My mom is on SS and there haven't been any across-the-board benefit cuts that I'm aware of.

ETA: I just saw your other post. So they overpaid her and now they're going to stop. I'm sure it will be hard on your grandmother, but it's not an outrageous action on part of the SSA. In fact, it seems like their auditing regs must be working.
My POINT is that is seems ridiculous to spend 700K on this crap when they're picking $97 dollars away from little old ladies. I know this sounds stupid, but it isnt when it hits home. I'm glad for audits but they should be doing discretionary spending, whether or not the junkett funds come from the same purse.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:20 PM

551 posts, read 855,887 times
Quote:
Either (1) you're so blinded by hatred of Obama that you can't think logically, or (2) you've been brainwashed by Limbaugh and his shrill brethren or (3) you really have no clue about how government works. Or perhaps it's some combination of these things. But you clearly do not understand that Obama, even though he is head of the executive branch of government, does not have the sweeping power to do the things that you want him to be able to do. Hugo Chavez has that kind of power. Kim Jong Il has that kind of power. Medyedev probably still has that kind of power. Obama, thankfully, does not have that kind of power.

As far as outrage at government waste, I and others have said repeatedly that the SSA probably could, and should, have found another way to do what they needed to do. But that still does not make it Obama's fault.
I think what Jadex has been trying to say here is that Obama told the corporations to knock it off after they got the TARP money.

Did he have the sweeping power to do that over a civilian company?

Obviously he did. But you are saying he does not have the power over his own administration.

I get what you are trying to say, that Obama can't be watching over everything at once. Which is why it is very important for him to pick a good Cabinet to do the right things.

They all need to be on the same page. Doesn't seem to be happening here.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:24 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
He was talking about companies that were receiving TARP MONEY!!!

Do they just forget to put that part in at Faux, or what?!!!!
"TARP MONEY!!!" and TAX MONEY is the same money!

Old 07-16-2009, 12:29 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times
Quote:

No I understand how gov works just fine. I am simply trying to get one democrat tell me this is a waste of money and it shouldnt have happened. You know like how they did with companies that got bailout money.

No see others have said that its in the budget so what. They saved money so what. I have yet to see one person clear as day no excuses to be made say that this should not have happened point blank clear as day

Oh you might wanna explain to democrats how gov works because they are the ones under the impression that is how the gov works since all things that happened while Bush was president was his fault since he is was president. Now that Obama is president all things that happen in washington arent his fault.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:29 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
My POINT is that is seems ridiculous to spend 700K on this crap when they're picking $97 dollars away from little old ladies. I know this sounds stupid, but it isnt when it hits home. I'm glad for audits but they should be doing discretionary spending, whether or not the junkett funds come from the same purse.
You'd be better off reading or learning about the appropriations.
As delusianne stated several times, there are different pots of money for different classes of work.
The two pots can't be mixed.
There are anti-deficiency laws that will be applied if there's a comingling of funds.
It's ridiculous to get all bent out of shape on an issue that was already addressed as you did.

If you don't understand how the government works, you look silly when you criticize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies