U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:13 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,860,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Well, some of the Middle Eastern countries have interesting ways of dealing with loud, obnoxous feminists.

Yes, just wondering why the burqa hasn't taken off in the fashion world here?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 09:13 AM

898 posts, read 1,453,921 times
America can learn from other countries. The problem is that americans refuse to. Yes, it's true that other cultures seep into the culture of this country (if there is such a thing) but that's exactly how it happens, it seeps in. Look at the history of this place. Everything that is known as "American" was brought in by immigrants but wasn't recognized as "American" until all history of its origin was erased and stamped with the "American" lable. Apple pie, hot dogs, rock and roll (which was actually invented here but by black people and not really acknowledged as "American" until white people got into the act), almost everything having to do with christmas; I could go on.
As far as the reason why America became the "world police", it's because nobody else was able to do it after WWII. This country took on the responsibility so that the communists wouldn't try to do what they helped us stop the NAZIs from doing. Now it's just a matter of not willing to give up that power. But me having to even point that out proves my point. If americans paid attention in their own history classes this question wouldn't even need to be asked.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:20 AM

8,973 posts, read 15,644,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
So we can learn from Switzerland or Canada. They have no enemies because they dont tell people how to run their country and they butt out of everyones business. America has a lot of balls telling anyone how to run their country when our own is in complete shambles.
There's some truth in this...however, it's also possible that these 'nice' places are able to STAY nice, (and keep to the 'moral high ground') precisely because America is willing to do some of the 'dirty work' of policeman.

Canada and Switzerland may 'chafe' at life in a world where they're 'bullied' by America....but I'm sure, if asked, they'd admit it was infinitely preferable to a world in which all of us were 'bullied' by Moscow or Beijing.....and the fact is, there may be no other option. I doubt we could HAVE a world in which NO country was dominant. The best we may be able to hope for is to have a 'good' bully rather than a truly bad one.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
There's some truth in this...however, it's also possible that these 'nice' places are able to STAY nice, (and keep to the 'moral high ground') precisely because America is willing to do some of the 'dirty work' of policeman.

Canada and Switzerland may 'chafe' at life in a world where they're 'bullied' by America....but I'm sure, if asked, they'd admit it was infinitely preferable to a world in which all of us were 'bullied' by Moscow or Beijing.....and the fact is, there may be no other option. I doubt we could HAVE a world in which NO country was dominant. The best we may be able to hope for is to have a 'good' bully rather than a truly bad one.

Nail on head. America has always stepped up and done Europe's "dirty work". Only now instead of appreciation, revisionist history has deemed it meddling. The only way to change human nature, so that NO country or people is dominant, is to put lithium in the water. Or legalize marijuana....then nobody would care....about anything.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:33 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,161,219 times
There are some misconceptions here...
People who move to America are a certain type. For example: talk to Canadians who move there, and you might think they all hate UHC. Also, people tend to assimilate. Also, you are extreeeeemely biased by talking only to those which speak English.
You cannpt look in your own borders to discover how other countries work and think. Other countries have the advantage of speaking their home language, AND English. Almost all the world is aware of the Anglo-American worldview. The Anglo-American worldview does not often need to make the effort to understand alternate ideas.
America needs to employee greater understanding of economic/sociologic/cultural etc... views, but studying them and talking to others besides those who just approach America speaking English and appealling to their own interests for one reason or other.
I'm not saying America needs to become another country. It can adapt its own systems how it likes. It can view why and how another culture works. It can say "hmmm, I still am against that", but then better understand how to approach the challenge the rival system works. Or even occasionally, it can adept and filter through other systems to learn how to change its own. Right now, it actually does not do this very much.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:50 PM

24,629 posts, read 26,607,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
American culture is a mixture of different cultures from all over the world (but mostly European). Other nations can't learn anything from American culture though. Most of the world including Europe is extremely xenophobic. I would say America is one of the least xenophobic countries in the entire world.
I guess you don't read this forum much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Not a d*mn thing.

From a proud Xenophobe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Nail on head. America hasalways stepped up and done Europe's "dirty work". Only now instead of appreciation, revisionist history has deemed it meddling. The only way to change human nature, so that NO country or people is dominant, is to put lithium in the water. Or legalize marijuana....then nobody would care....about anything.
Yeah, damn those French for not helping the US in the revolutionary war.

Europe was around way before america was even thought of.
You could use a bit of a history lesson.

Most of the xenophobes have never traveled, let alone lived, in a foreign country.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:52 PM

10,478 posts, read 14,649,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Most of the xenophobes have never traveled, let alone lived, in a foreign country.
You know, I was JUST thinking that today. I want to go to the Corn Islands & I started thinking of people's reactions to heading to a 3rd world county. These sheltered people really need to get out & experience things. They'd understand that they are not the center of the universe.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:54 PM

8,348 posts, read 6,555,702 times
It most certainly can on a few issues. Namely gay marriage and legalization of pot. Many decry both of these as "dissolution of moral standards", but other countries are doing it and getting away with it just fine.

UHC is a debatable issue. There are problems with it, and there are benefits to it.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:55 PM

24,629 posts, read 26,607,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
You know, I was JUST thinking that today. I want to go to the Corn Islands & I started thinking of people's reactions to heading to a 3rd world county. These sheltered people really need to get out & experience things. They'd understand that they are not the center of the universe.
Although I didn't find much benefit in the book The Road Less Traveled, I did like M. Scott Peck's discussion of road maps.

Many people finish high school and that's the end of their road map. They think inside that map. When we go to college, travel or have big.new.experiences, our maps increase and even more becomes possible for us. We don't have to live by self-limitations.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I guess you don't read this forum much.

Yeah, damn those French for not helping the US in the revolutionary war.

Europe was around way before america was even thought of.
You could use a bit of a history lesson.

Xenophobia may come from experience. I am world traveled, couldn't wait to get back home. And would never entertain living outside this country....ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies