Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minority Groups - American or Not?
Yes - Citizenship = American regardless of ethnicity 57 74.03%
No - Citizenship does not mean American 20 25.97%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 10:00 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
No, my question is, if someone is an American citizen, from any minority group other than African American, do you consider them an American?

For example, I am Asian American. I have been a citizen for 8 years and I've lived in the USA for 24 years. I speak perfect English, with a southern drawl even, do you consider me, or millions others like me, an American?
^ Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 09:14 AM

769 posts, read 2,220,069 times
I absolutely believe that any US citizen walking down the street is an American, regardless of their race or ethnic background. Even though I can trace my heritage back to the early 1700's here in America, before that they came from Europe, so how can I legitimately question others "Americanness" based on the fact that they came from another country/culture? I did too, at one time, and my ancestors - some of them - couldn't speak english very well when they got here either. Just because they got here after my ancestors in no way diminishes their right to be Americans and to be considered such.

And because I can't necessarily tell who are or are not legal citizens, I prefer to give people the benfit of the doubt.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:30 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,640 times
Cool US Citizenship does NOT mean American!

This is one of the greatest abuses of the US Constitution in history. The 14th and 15th Amendment was NEVER intended for brithright citizenship. It has been interpreted by the Executive branch (not the courts, as it should be) to mean brithright citizenship.

REGARDLESS OF RACE OR PARENT'S NATIONAL ORIGION - YOU ARE ONLY AN AMERICAN IF YOU LIVE AND BELIEVE IN THE AMERICAN WAY!!

Just because of the 14th and 15th you are born here, you are an American citizen. Several terrorists had parents who entered the US illegally years ago and gave birth to some kid and then went back to their home countries and the terrorist has US citizenship and yet should NEVER be considered an American.

Another problem ios illegal aliens who are born here due to their illegal alien moms jumping the border the week before she is due just so the kid has US citizenship (an "anchor baby"). 99.9% of the time, these kids are brought up back in their home countries or in communities in the USA that are illegal alien communities. They never see American flags, they hear foreign languages on the street and at home all day, and they even have education in Spanish (like in Miami or El Paso, TX). So these people think they are in Mexico or any other country out there and they think they are part of the foreign country they are brought up in.

Are these people Americans? NO! They are legally American citizens, but NOT Americans in their hearts and minds.

To be an American is to understand the American values and the American way. It is to know the culture of courage and determination, the courage Americans used to fight ignorance, to fight Nazis, and to fight tyrany overseas. It is to respect the country, to participate in government (voting, etc). It is to want to improve the country and not just take money and send it a foreign country. It is to own their own home (eventually), to have a family and to befriend others. It is to follow a culture of respect, of lreverence for the flag of the United States, and to SPEAK ENGLISH, the language of the United States.

Now, you can be a foreigner, come to the US, and then become a citizen due to your love for the country and its people. That person is an American in their hearts, therefore should be treated as any other true American who LOVES and respects the USA.

But if a foreigner hates America (as many aliens do) and just becomes a citizen for personal gain (or to be able to bring family member to the USA through "chain migration") then this perso is also an American citizen but NOT an American.

Being an American is a mindset. It is a positive culture that you either are a member of or not. Again, not every American citizen is a True American!

Old 04-23-2007, 09:33 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieMale View Post
i guess ill stand out with the aussie accent MoMark its gonna take a very long time for me to sound american
Well, at least it gives you cache I'm sure if I ended up in Australia the moment I opened my mouth they'd ascertain that I was American in a nano-second and I doubt I'd ever lose my original accent!

Old 04-23-2007, 11:20 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHornGuy86 View Post
I think many Asian women marry into white families hoping themselves to assimilate into American society--some do, but I still don't see an Asian woman as "white", no matter who she is married to.
Yes, I married my white husband so he can change the color of my skin, you know, 'cuz white people have that super power ability.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:38 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
To be an American is to understand the American values and the American way. It is to know the culture of courage and determination, the courage Americans used to fight ignorance, to fight Nazis, and to fight tyrany overseas. It is to respect the country, to participate in government (voting, etc). It is to want to improve the country and not just take money and send it a foreign country. It is to own their own home (eventually), to have a family and to befriend others. It is to follow a culture of respect, of lreverence for the flag of the United States, and to SPEAK ENGLISH, the language of the United States.
I cannot agree with you more.

In defense of those who speak limited English, it took my father over six months to finally have the confidence to take the citizenship test. It was indeed a labor of love. He loved America and wanted to make sure his kids had the same opportunities that everybody else had in the United States. Although he always knew he would never be seen as "American", he wanted to make sure his children wouldn't have to face the same discrimination, at least not on paper. That was his legacy.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:50 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,640 times
Quote:
I cannot agree with you more.

In defense of those who speak limited English, it took my father over six months to finally have the confidence to take the citizenship test. It was indeed a labor of love. He loved America and wanted to make sure his kids had the same opportunities that everybody else had in the United States. Although he always knew he would never be seen as "American", he wanted to make sure his children wouldn't have to face the same discrimination, at least not on paper. That was his legacy.
Even if he spoke broken English, if your father LOVED America, even before he took the Citizenship test (called Natz) he is an American in his heart!

What I cannot tolerate are anchor babies and people who come here to suck off the system and are only interested in US Citizenship to gain welfare benefits and to bring familes into the country (chain migration). That is despicable!

No one should be treated differently because of race, religion, or national origin. But once a person starts with the "I hate America and Americans" talk, they become my ENEMY!!

Anyone that hate America should be:

1. Deported (if here illegally or with a Green card). American haters go home.

2. Shipped to San Francisco and be forced to live near idiots like Nancy Pelosi.

3. Be shipped to Massachussets to work as John Kerry's wife's maid. That woman is CRAZY and I bet she will make you crazy too!

That would show them.

I will say it again: American haters: go home!! Leave the USA!!

Old 04-26-2007, 05:43 PM

43 posts, read 191,946 times
the only real americans are native americans.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:51 PM

43 posts, read 191,946 times
Im not so sure abusing the constitution is such a bad idea. in fact, we should throw the whole thing in the bin entirely. why should we live by the rules that some ignorant rednecks wrote 200yrs ago? times change and so should laws. slavery was legal back then but its not now. all other laws should be the same. i hope the american way isnt to be an ignorant redneck like nirvana, coz if it is then we;re all in big trouble. the problem with usa isnt illegal immigrants, but ignorant rednecks like nirvana. although you can pretty much count nirvana as an illegal immigrant unless hes native or has permission to be here by natives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
This is one of the greatest abuses of the US Constitution in history. The 14th and 15th Amendment was NEVER intended for brithright citizenship. It has been interpreted by the Executive branch (not the courts, as it should be) to mean brithright citizenship.

REGARDLESS OF RACE OR PARENT'S NATIONAL ORIGION - YOU ARE ONLY AN AMERICAN IF YOU LIVE AND BELIEVE IN THE AMERICAN WAY!!

Just because of the 14th and 15th you are born here, you are an American citizen. Several terrorists had parents who entered the US illegally years ago and gave birth to some kid and then went back to their home countries and the terrorist has US citizenship and yet should NEVER be considered an American.

Another problem ios illegal aliens who are born here due to their illegal alien moms jumping the border the week before she is due just so the kid has US citizenship (an "anchor baby"). 99.9% of the time, these kids are brought up back in their home countries or in communities in the USA that are illegal alien communities. They never see American flags, they hear foreign languages on the street and at home all day, and they even have education in Spanish (like in Miami or El Paso, TX). So these people think they are in Mexico or any other country out there and they think they are part of the foreign country they are brought up in.

Are these people Americans? NO! They are legally American citizens, but NOT Americans in their hearts and minds.

Now, you can be a foreigner, come to the US, and then become a citizen due to your love for the country and its people. That person is an American in their hearts, therefore should be treated as any other true American who LOVES and respects the USA.

But if a foreigner hates America (as many aliens do) and just becomes a citizen for personal gain (or to be able to bring family member to the USA through "chain migration") then this perso is also an American citizen but NOT an American.

Being an American is a mindset. It is a positive culture that you either are a member of or not. Again, not every American citizen is a True American!

Old 04-26-2007, 05:54 PM

340 posts, read 744,907 times
Quote:
When you walk down the street and see a (non-black) minority, assuming they are an American citizen, do you consider them an American? Or if you have minority friends who are citizens, do you consider them American?

This is a question I have thought about for many years and just never had the opportunity to ask. I come from Asian descent, married into a white family, who have accepted me for me. I am accepted into their homes with open arms, with love, with unity. I was lucky to have such wonderful in-laws but sometimes I feel that I'm the exception not the rule, especially with the wake of the tragic murders at VTech.

I appreciate your honest response.
Yes foma,

I believe if you are a citizen, you are an American... Nothing else matters...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies