Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minority Groups - American or Not?
Yes - Citizenship = American regardless of ethnicity 57 74.03%
No - Citizenship does not mean American 20 25.97%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 10:27 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHornGuy86 View Post
I'm going to be completely honest and say no. Most Americans do not see Asians as "Americans" at all. I think Asian males have it especially bad because no matter how much success they acheive in academia, they are undesireable not only to other races sexually, but even their own women go for white men.

I saw what happened at VT coming--it was really inevitable. No group of people can be underrepresented, disrespected for so long without someone lashing out.

I think many Asian women marry into white families hoping themselves to assimilate into American society--some do, but I still don't see an Asian woman as "white", no matter who she is married to.

I think Asians as a whole need to be more accepting of their own cultures.
longhorn,

i disagree with your statement. I think that it depends on knowing the person and their experiences. If a person talks like you, dresses like you, has had similar experiences like you, then they are 100% american no matter what the race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 11:01 AM

606 posts, read 698,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I don't know about the others, but all of the Sioux speak English. They were forced into schools miles away from their homes and were forced to stay there during the week and were forbidden to speak their own language. They kind of have something like an accent, but English is their main language.
wow,that's the why they learn English.
that's the why whites treat Native Americans.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:32 AM

508 posts, read 1,673,069 times
I look at it like this. Anyone has the right to be an American and most have the ability. If you tell me that you are African-American, or Japanese-American, or Mexican-American, then I do NOT consider you to be an American because what you are saying is that for whatever reason you yourself cannot or will not call yourself an American. During WWII when our soldiers were overseas fighting and dying to stop Hitler and Musolini et al. we did not call ourselves German-Americans, or African-Americans etc. . . We were AMERICANS on a united front fighting as one people. When you devote your loyalty solely to America and stop proclaiming you are X-American, then I consider you American.

The exception in my mind is African-American. This nomenclature is used to signify alegiance to two nationalities. Africa is a continent. I think African-Americans are Americans with black or dark skin whose ancestors are from one of the many countries in Africa. It is sad that there is need for a variety of reasons to seperate themselves. I dont mean to sound rude, and I dont mean to go to far off topic, but what is wrong with simply saying you are American? The color of your skin is just as obvious as mine so i dont see the need to point it out, help me understand.

As for whether I think someone is American or not when I see them walking down the street, I honestly have to many things on my mind that are more important.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
I look at it like this. Anyone has the right to be an American and most have the ability. If you tell me that you are African-American, or Japanese-American, or Mexican-American, then I do NOT consider you to be an American because what you are saying is that for whatever reason you yourself cannot or will not call yourself an American. During WWII when our soldiers were overseas fighting and dying to stop Hitler and Musolini et al. we did not call ourselves German-Americans, or African-Americans etc. . . We were AMERICANS on a united front fighting as one people. When you devote your loyalty solely to America and stop proclaiming you are X-American, then I consider you American.

The exception in my mind is African-American. This nomenclature is used to signify alegiance to two nationalities. Africa is a continent. I think African-Americans are Americans with black or dark skin whose ancestors are from one of the many countries in Africa. It is sad that there is need for a variety of reasons to seperate themselves. I dont mean to sound rude, and I dont mean to go to far off topic, but what is wrong with simply saying you are American? The color of your skin is just as obvious as mine so i dont see the need to point it out, help me understand.

As for whether I think someone is American or not when I see them walking down the street, I honestly have to many things on my mind that are more important.
The reason that I call myself Mexican American is not b/c i love mexico so much. It is b/c many euro americans refer to themselves as "americans" and think NOTHING of it and every other group seems to acknowledge that b/c whites are the majority in this country and they own everything in sight. Some white and asian(just off the boat kind) Americans go so far as to question me, "what is your nationality?". When I say American, they look dumbfounded, expecting me to say anything but. Some white Americans also tend to cling together and don't acknowledge others who may look different. Just look at office situations and look who goes to lunch together. This perpetuates the distance between different ethnic groups.
I as a 4th generation mexican american am not given the same "american" designation as a 1st generation born euro american despite the fact that my ancestors have been here longer and i am totally "americanized". When I am applying for a job, they see a "hispanic" of "mexican american", doubtful that they would call me plain ol vanilla "american".

You might be surprised to learn that many (if not the majority) of Mexican Americans are NOT for illegal immigration. Not only b/c they use up so many resources and pay little in taxes, but imo it creates a permanent underclass much like blacks have to deal with and lumps us with them.

I blame the media for perpetuating the ignorance about "hispanics". When they trot out for example their most recent survey of Hispanics, they act as if we are some MONOLITHIC group that all thinks and lives the same way. Like when they say that "**% of hispanics don't have health insurance"- well duh it's b/c many of the people that they lump in these surveys are new to this country and have the least access to insurance.

I do call myself "american" ( i think that i pay enough taxes to do so). But to maintain a sense of self-respect and in appreciation for what my ancestors had to go through, i call myself mexican american. This country has never given me the luxury of calling myself "American" and i get tired of fighting ignorance all of the time.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:39 PM

52 posts, read 122,209 times
Quote:

African Americans and others did not create these labels for themselves. But I also don't see the big deal because most people when they are referring to somebody don't say "you know that American fellow from where ever" no they say "you know that black guy or that asian guy or ..." so I don't really understand your point or anybody who shares your point because we all categorize people not out animosity, insensitiveness, or racism its just what humans do. African Americans are not the only group who does this obviously so why single us out people of Irish ancestry do the same thing so really who cares.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:49 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,504 times
No shortage of ugly names to call people...narrow minded ways for people to characterize themselves...

Here's a little thought experiment. You're sitting next to a guy on an airplane that's just been hijacked by a terrorist. He hates us all.

That guy sitting next to you...maybe his name ends in a vowel...or -stein...or maybe he's some brutha man wearin' a doo-rag, that you'd cross the street to avoid. What do you call him now?

Brother.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:50 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Yes, everyone here who has U.S. citizenship is an American. No single one of us is "literally" American except Native Americans, so it would make no sense to think of anyone as non-American based on heritage.
I disagree with this.This land was not considered America before settlers arrived.Indians I would consider them natives to their respective tribes,and in this day and age Americans as part of this country.

I dont care who someone is though,if they take part in this country,respect the laws,are willing to defend it,give yet profit also then they are American to me.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:50 PM

"You might be surprised to learn that many (if not the majority) of Mexican Americans are NOT for illegal immigration. Not only b/c they use up so many resources and pay little in taxes, but imo it creates a permanent underclass much like blacks have to deal with and lumps us with them. "

Calm down. I never said anything at all about illegal immigration. I understand your point and what you have to say. My feeling still stands that if you are American, call yourself American. I dont call myself a German American because I am fifth generation in this country. If people are ignorant and set you apart because you are of a different ancestory, then it is even more important that you stand up and proclaim that you are American and have every right that I or your neighbor or anyone else has. My basic point is that we as a country need to start calling ourselves Americans as a unified nation of people from different heritage. That is not easy to do without losing a sense of your ancestory, but I think for the sake of our country it is necessary to do so. As for your comment about lumping illegal aliens into the same permanent underclass as black people because they pay less taxes and use up resources . . . WOW, talk about sterotyping and racism. Is that really what you meant or am I mis-intrepreting you?

Old 05-03-2007, 01:23 PM

"African Americans and others did not create these labels for themselves."
Actually, Malcolm X was the person who coined the term at a speech in the mid 1960's at an Organization of Afro-American Unity meeting and Jesse Jackson was responsible for making that term acceptable for widespread use in the late 1980's.

But I also don't see the big deal because most people when they are referring to somebody don't say "you know that American fellow from where ever" no they say "you know that black guy or that asian guy or ..." so I don't really understand your point or anybody who shares your point because we all categorize people not out animosity, insensitiveness, or racism its just what humans do."
You are mixing the simplicity with identifying a specific person in a group by the most obvious physical feature - skin color or facial features, if we were identifying a spefic black person in a group of black people, we would say the guy with the yellow shirt and black pants - same thing if we were identifying a spefic white person or Asian person in a group of all white or all Asian people. When you are trying to identify a single white person in a group of black people it is most obvious to say "the white guy" and vice versa. My argument is on how people classify themselves culturally and the divisions it creates. Lets say you were a black person from Haiti - you are not African-American, you are Haitian. Should you be called an African-American simply because of your skin tone, or should you not be counted as an American if you are an American citizen, or a Haitian if you are a citizen of Haiti? You should refer to yourself as a citizen of the country to which you belong, period.

African Americans are not the only group who does this obviously so why single us out people of Irish ancestry do the same thing so really who cares."
I singled out African American because they are the most vocal group in making sure everyone uses the correct terminology. If you read my post more carefully, you will see that I addressed it to anyone who calls themself something other than American. If you or anyone else has such a problem with just simply calling yourself an American, a citizen of the greatest country in the world then perhaps you should take a look at how lucky you are - we are to be Americans.

Everyone has heritage and ancestory that they do not want to forget and wish to remain tied to. Luckily we have the freedom to do so. But the time will come when we have exploited our freedom to much and we will pay the price for our arrogance. I hope we can fix ourselves before that happens, but that cant happen as long as we arent willing to all play on the same team - America.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
"You might be surprised to learn that many (if not the majority) of Mexican Americans are NOT for illegal immigration. Not only b/c they use up so many resources and pay little in taxes, but imo it creates a permanent underclass much like blacks have to deal with and lumps us with them. "

Calm down. I never said anything at all about illegal immigration. I understand your point and what you have to say. My feeling still stands that if you are American, call yourself American. I dont call myself a German American because I am fifth generation in this country. If people are ignorant and set you apart because you are of a different ancestory, then it is even more important that you stand up and proclaim that you are American and have every right that I or your neighbor or anyone else has. My basic point is that we as a country need to start calling ourselves Americans as a unified nation of people from different heritage. That is not easy to do without losing a sense of your ancestory, but I think for the sake of our country it is necessary to do so. As for your comment about lumping illegal aliens into the same permanent underclass as black people because they pay less taxes and use up resources . . . WOW, talk about sterotyping and racism. Is that really what you meant or am I mis-intrepreting you?

britt,

thanks for your response. i agree with you and have thought along those lines before. i think that recently i am not too crazy about being an american. you know, this is a country that takes our tax money without mercy, causes unjust wars with faulty logic, permits legal discrimination against gays, does not enforce its immigration laws, pits its people against one another, i could go on and on. as far my comment about the underclass, what i was saying is that we have the burden of having a continuous stream of poor people with no end in sight coming in that we are stereotyped with. like i said before, the media always broadcast "hispanics say". they will never have a poll where they say if the person is 1st generation, 2nd, 3rd and so on. i was comparing this to what black americans have to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies