Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:22 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
if people would get off their fat asses and go get a job and pay for their own coverage, instead of having to rely on uncle sugar for their next entitlement and health care, then we would not be in this situation either.
I have 2 non fatass relatives who both had jobs and health insurance, and were recently bankrupted due to a health issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 10:27 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
You can always buy private health insurance. This is a constitutional issue freedom to contract. You are misreading your source.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:49 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
maybe you should read the bill before posting such dribble, you might not looks so foolish in the future. keep in mind that this is not a rightwing discussion board where everyone accepts the words of crackpots without doing some research first.
Casper

Old 07-17-2009, 11:17 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I have 2 non fatass relatives who both had jobs and health insurance, and were recently bankrupted due to a health issue.

then maybe a better health insurance plan will work. not my fault or my liberal neighbors fault for their insurance.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:21 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
then maybe a better health insurance plan will work. not my fault or my liberal neighbors fault for their insurance.
They can't get better insurance. Pre-existing condition now.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:24 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Thew lastest democratic skeem to pay for the governamnt cost of their program for health insurance is to tax insurance.That should be a good one make insurance high to make insurance too expensive to buy.What is that per centage of those that drive with no mandated insurance now?More leaving nothing behind for their surviving family seems a good thing i guess to them;crazy IMO.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:29 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Let's Put Some Real Faces on the Casualties of Obamacare - AIP Blog - American Issues Project

Some very real, concrete examples;

Let's Put Some Real Faces on the Casualties of Obamacare

Quote:
Consider Company A, which employs seven people: a manager, an assistant manager, and five workers. The owner pays himself a salary of $70,000 per year (about $35/hour), the manager $52,000 ($25/hour), the assistant manager $35,000 ($20/hour), and the five employees $21,000 (about $10/hour). That makes a payroll of $262,000. Now, the article doesn't say how much the fine for a payroll that size would be, so I'll assume either 6 percent ($15,720) or 4 percent ($10,480). The lowest total, as you can see, is more than half the salary of one of the worker bees and the higher figure is even worse. If I were running that business, I'd say the easiest way to solve my problem would be to fire one of the worker bees. That would reduce my payroll to escape the fine and it would leave me with more money as well. Sure, my business would be less productive, but it's not terribly difficult to get make up for that one lost employee by having my other six work a little bit harder.
Quote:
Let's up the ante a little bit. Company B consists of an owner, who also doubles as general manager (and pays herself a rather modest $80,000 per year), and ten part-time employees who each make $35,000, for a payroll of $430,000. That's large enough to trigger the full 8 percent penalty, which comes to $34,400. Well, that's just about one employee's salary, so out he goes, which not only covers the fine but also brings Company B under the $400,000 threshold, which means a potential smaller fine next year. Bonus!

Company B could easily be a car dealership, a local insurance office, a mid-sized construction company or contractor, or a retail store where the salespeople work at least partly on commission. This could be the final straw that convinces the owner to say "To hell with it."

Old 07-17-2009, 11:39 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
[quote=jcarlilesiu;9806783]delusianne,

But the fact is, some of the highest costs we see associated with the current health system is a direction reaction to government involvement in the system as well.

quote]

Well you got one part right. Hight costs related to the government involvement. The reason doctors make so much money is because they "the medical industry" created a shortage and thereby increased demand, which thereby increased the amount they (doctors) can demand for pay.

They were able to create the shortage by convincing government policy makers -regulators- that there would be too many doctors and that this was somehow a bad thing. This happened in 1980. In response to the urgings or the AMA and their ilk. The Federal government reduced the amount of residency slots that the Federal government pays for...regulation. Eventhough the population was increasing they were actually advocating reducing the amount of doctors. Because of their big money and lobbying efforts they were able to accomplish this.

Apparently government regulation is only bad when it works against the health care industry. It was not a bad thing when it was used to create a doctor shortage.

My guess is that you already know this. You are transparent. Here is a link from a doctor explaining the problem better than I can.

http://www.facs.org/fellows_info/bul...cooper0308.pdf

Old 07-17-2009, 12:00 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
i've seen the gov't screw my wife (social security disability, years wait just for a hearing while she sufferend), the military members (champus being replaced by tricare, sorry about that free healthcare we promised you, now you are going to have to pay for it).
I know exactly how the gov't works, which is why it scares me to death that they want to take over healthcare.
Did you know that medicare's drug benefit plan is largely unfunded because they don't know how much it is going to cost?
Medicare Drug Benefit May Cost $1.2 Trillion (washingtonpost.com)
I was told that I had to pay for my promised military healthcare after I started making $12k, in about 1980. That was before CHAMPUS.
So you're for socialized medicine, but only for your particular group, screw the rest?
They have historical data on drug costs; the costs are usually ridiculously inflated so that the drug industry can make $$.
Sorry that you'd rather have individuals pay outrageous amounts for overhead; I'd rather see health care for all.

Last edited by chielgirl; 07-17-2009 at 01:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies