Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Congress Get The Same Health Care Plan They Make For All Other American Citizens
yes 54 88.52%
no 4 6.56%
other 3 4.92%
not sure 0 0%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 07:20 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,902,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
I see you don't understand what a option is. A choice.

You get a choice:

1. Keep your employeer paid health care
2. Buy your own.
3. Enroll in the Fed's Program

I know it's hard to understand.

But if you have #1, you could take option 1 or 2 or 3
If you have #2, you could take option 2 or 3
If you have nothing, you get option 3

See, that is a option.
Do we have government health care now? No
Congress does, however. And my point is that they should not get those benefits if they are voting against the same for their constituents.

Do we have a public option now? No.
If they give us a public option, then I have no problem with congress keeping their health care, or purchasing their own private health insurance plan. They could have that option.

I don't know how you misunderstood my previous post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 07:27 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Should Congress Get The Same Health Care Plan They Make For All Other American Citizens
Problem with the question, where do you get "All Other Americans" from, not All Americans would be on it. Nice twist of words.
Casper

Old 08-08-2009, 07:35 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,344,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Do we have government health care now? No
Congress does, however. And my point is that they should not get those benefits if they are voting against the same for their constituents.

Congress and every federal employee has the same health plan (i believe it's BC/BS). It's not a government plan, like medicare/medicade. Just like any other employeer/employee plan.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:37 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,902,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Congress and every federal employee has the same health plan (i believe it's BC/BS). It's not a government plan, like medicare/medicade. Just like any other employeer/employee plan.
Apology accepted

Here, I'll make my point REALLY clear.
They should get nothing more than their constituents.

They should be able to afford insurance, on $150,000 / year, or whatever they are at now.

$174,000

Old 08-08-2009, 07:40 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
My mom was asking about this, she said we should have Congress all sign up for the nationalized proposal and put their families under it so we can see how it goes. I don't see anything wrong with that I guess.
Right now I am fully against the proposal but if congress puts themselves under it I am all for it.

But I am not worried, our imperial rulers know a turkey when they see it and there is no way they want a piece of that garbage.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:40 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,464 times
No, the Executive/Legislative/Judicial branch should get NO healthcare benefits because the pay NO FICA (that's Social Security and Medicare taxes on their income, folks) taxes. Since we're funding their fiddling while Rome is burning, let them pay out of their own pockets. Start with Nancy Pelosi's psychiatric evaluation...

Old 08-08-2009, 07:42 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
They shouldn't get healthcare. They shouldn't get paid either. Politics should be a volunteer job only.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:47 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,344,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
They shouldn't get healthcare. They shouldn't get paid either. Politics should be a volunteer job only.

Thats almost funny.

So you want it to be truly elitist.

The candadates for all federal offices will be:
Gates
Buffett
Walton
Ellison
Bloomberg
or Koch

The most powerful and richest will get even richer and more powerful.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:47 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,535,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
People still aren't getting the "choices" part.

CEece..No they do not..I posed the question yesterday if anyone has read the entire bill from both the democrat and republican or were they just going by what they've heard...

I've read both bill versions. If you take pieces of both plans, then you would have the Health Care overhaul both sides boast about..Neither plan is the best in their current states, but overall the Democrat plan is better than what the Republicans propose. I just don't get the difficulty in these people doing their job

Old 08-08-2009, 07:58 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
What I do not like is that you can NOT choose an insurance company YOU want, once this bill starts you will HAVE to pick from the companies in the Health Insurance Exchange. So if say I have Blue Cross and Blue Cross is not in the HIE you can not choose them. This limits my choices and I don't want that. To me this IS government control.

From the bill:

Quote:
(1) IN GENERAL- Individual health insurance coverage that is not grandfathered health insurance coverage under subsection (a) may only be offered on or after the first day of Y1 as an Exchange-participating health benefits plan.
My other issue is that this Commissioner will be deciding benefits I can have.

Quote:
SEC. 203. BENEFITS PACKAGE LEVELS.
(a) In General- The Commissioner shall specify the benefits to be made available under Exchange-participating health benefits plans during each plan year, consistent with subtitle C of title I and this section.
Then this section, it makes it seem like you can chose any policy you want BUT for this section.

This is the key word, (acceptable) so if the insurance company you have or what does not meet the Governments ideals you can not use them. I see many private insurance companies going bye-bye and Hello to Government run health care.

Quote:
a) Access to Coverage- In accordance with this section, all individuals are eligible to obtain coverage through enrollment in an Exchange-participating health benefits plan offered through the Health Insurance Exchange unless such individuals are enrolled in another qualified health benefits plan or other acceptable coverage.
This section states that every policy must be the same, so your employer can not change the policy to suit his workers.

Quote:
2) LIMITATION ON CHANGES IN TERMS OR CONDITIONS- Subject to paragraph (3) and except as required by law, the issuer does not change any of its terms or conditions, including benefits and cost-sharing, from those in effect as of the day before the first day of Y1.
I don't know but it see like every section I read it gets more and more like a Government controlled health care. I don't think I can support that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies