Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 10:26 PM

4,889 posts, read 3,334,501 times

Advertisements

Good luck finding consumer products that are actually made in the US...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 11:13 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,516,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
it's really sad to read through all these posts...

and not see one poster mention the real reason why we don't make anything..

businesses (manufacturing/producers of tangible goods) , are not locating to the US, or are moving away from the US to build their products.

Why is this?

It's because America did it to herself.

The businesses leave b.c America told them that they were selfish pricks who didn't help anyone but their own bank accounts. Thus America taxed and regulated (stepped their foot inside someone else's house) businesses till the owners eventually gave up, and couldn't be raped any longer. They headed for more greener pastures overseas.

America just didn't know how good she had it, till she lost it.

Thank you Big Government for all you've done!
Couldn't one argue that businesses that head oversees in order to set up shop in countries where working conditions are deplorable and children area allowed to work 12 to 15 hours a day are run by pricks? Maybe you have it backwards.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:29 PM

432 posts, read 603,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Couldn't one argue that businesses that head oversees in order to set up shop in countries where working conditions are deplorable and children area allowed to work 12 to 15 hours a day are run by pricks? Maybe you have it backwards.
are you kidding?

those businesses are the best thing that ever happened to those foreigners

they can afford to give their families food/shelter/clothes, because of them

they were starving before they went over there and were sleeping on mud and wearing scraps for clothing...

I'd rather work in ****ty conditions and be able to feed my family and provide other needs for them, than not be able to feed them at all..

those workers are not forced to work there, they choose to

stop your michael moore fantasy of dissing americans for helping other countries out...

sure i'd wish the jobs stayed here, but you idiot libs and big gov't repubs kicked them out with your rules and theft..

Old 10-25-2009, 11:35 PM

184 posts, read 509,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Most US companies have learned their lessons after companies like Nike were exposed. Walmart, for example, does frequent audits of all its overseas suppliers and will cut-off any of them that do not meet its requirements for how to treat employees. There have been problems in the past with slavery, terrible conditions, etc., but that has happened here in the US too. I believe most companies have found a proper balance and can now produce things cheaply overseas while employing people who work voluntarily and under good conditions.

I don't care about buying American, I buy from wherever I get the best value. US minimum wage laws have made it impossible to produce some products here, they are just not worth the cost. To starving people in developing countries, making half of minimum wage is huge and they compete for those jobs. By buying overseas I'm not only getting a good value, I'm potentially taking a starving kid off the streets and providing him with a job so that he can eat.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:57 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,053,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
John Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6 am.
[***]
and then wondered why he can't find a good paying job in AMERICA
Buy GM. And Cooper tires.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:02 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,829,208 times
And support the unions and the administration who stole from and screwed the original investors?

No thanks.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:05 AM

11,254 posts, read 18,764,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You must depise Clinton then. I would imagine thread after thread, railing against bubba must be very tiring. No?

Ross Perot was right, wasn't he?
Hey, I voted for Perot so don't blame me..

Old 10-26-2009, 06:07 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,053,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
And support the unions and the administration who stole from and screwed the original investors?

No thanks.
GM is going public soon, maybe next year; Chrysler as soon as it can stand on its own feet. The "original investors", if you mean the bondholders who were dumb enough to keep holding GM all the way into the toilet, got a good deal on the other end of the new GM company. As for the horrible evil administration, see

Administration 'Shocked' By GM & Chrysler's Condition Last Spring, Former Task Force Chief Says - ABC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies