Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:26 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times

Advertisements

I don't see how it's devastating to any particular group. It's a reflection of how the demographics are changing in this country. I guess for some paranoid people it's the end of "White America."

Also Asians have yet to really assert themselves politically in the U.S. In a uniform way at least. It's probably because "Asian" is such a broad group. Hispanics at least have some common cultural traits such as the Spanish language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
naw tan, beige, taupe, brown as in what? skin color, that would include blacks too lol
By brown I mean Hispanic and Asian. It's just syntax. Bad syntax. I should have been more specific.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:28 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Also Asians have yet to really assert themselves politically in the U.S. It's probably because "Asian" is such a broad group.

huh? hispanic/latino is an even larger broad group based on language and or geographic location not race

asian and hispanic can be compared to
hispanic and black cannot be compared to they classify to different things

Old 07-17-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
huh? hispanic/latino is an even larger broad group based on language and or geographic location not race

asian and hispanic can be compared to
hispanic and black cannot be compared to they classify to different things
See my further edit above.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:33 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
The Latino or Hispanic market isn't one market. It's a combination of markets.

Hispanic buying power is usually referring to all of the Latino groups together but again the Hispanic market is fragmented because it is made up of different groups. Puerto Ricans and Mexicans don't generally buy the same music and eat the same foods etc.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:35 AM

12 posts, read 41,788 times
I wish we didnt have to place labels like white, black, and hispanic America. Why can't we all just be americans? I really dont have a problem with more hispanics (I'm Peruvian) as long as they enter the country legally. There are lots of Latin people who enter the country illegally to commit crimes and further the ruin of this great nation. On the other hand there are also many hard working immigrants from Latin America who could help our economy. Ethnicity should'nt matter.

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
I thought this would be an interesting debate topic.

I recently read an article that expects Hispanic buying power to increase from 1 Trillion dollars this year and grow to more than 12 Trillion dollars.

This will have devastating effects on the following groups.

Whites - will loose considerable economic spending power (as the Hispanic population grows and starts to consume more, the percentage of the consumer spending market that whites currently dominate will continue to shrink over time.)

These changes will drastically effect Marketing spending and the images popularized of what it means to be an America

Blacks - will loose considerable economic spending power, which has often been used to wield political power. The percentage of consumer spending in the US will fall as a total percent of spending.

These changes will drastically effect Marketing spending and erase the increasing gains Blacks have made to be included in mainstream America.

Groups that stand to benefit over the next few years from this shift in consumer spending.

Hispanics

Asians - Asian are the forgotten group, but in reality they pose the largest threat to the current dominance of White spending power. Asians, will eventually come to challenge, the future dominance of the Hispanic buying power. The reasons are listed below

1. Asian on average or twice as educated as whites
2. Asian on average have the highest incomes
3. Asian small businesses despite having a significantly smaller size make up more than 50% of sales and that will continue to increase.
4. Asian on average have the highest education attainment in the country
5. The number one reason Asian will dominate America in the future is the high rate of growth the population will experience.

Now, these two groups combined will probably double the amount of purchasing power Whites will have, but at no point will either of these groups come to actually lead the nation largest group in spending power.

What it looks like now

Total Spending 11,900 Trillion Dollars

Whites 9,600 81%
Blacks 1035.3 8.7%
Hispanics 1071 9.0%
Asians 571 4.8%

What it will most likely look like in 20-30 years (assuming consumer spending grows at the conservative rate of 10% each year)

Total Spending 35,700 Trillion Dollars

Whites 17,850 50%
Blacks 1,785.3 6%
Hispanics 12,495 35%
Asians 3,213 9%

It is all very possible

Read these

Hispanics will top all U.S. minority groups for purchasing power by 2007, according to annual buying power study from UGA's Selig Center for Economic Growth

No parallels between buying power and wealth: blacks have more money available but should save, not spend | Black Enterprise | Find Articles at BNET

Asian Facts and Figures
Still trying to figure out what threat some whites are so afraid of, one second it is the Blacks and the next it is Hispanics, even heard Muslims brought on discussion boards, does diveristy really scare you that much. One thought, if you live anywhere in the south from TX to Cal, the Hispanics were here first.
Casper

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
The Hispanics exert a big influence over other groups.

-Bilingual requirements in schools and the workplace
-Families are typically larger due to religion, abortion beliefs
-Education of adults is at the low end of the scale and this reflects in income

Not every Hispanic can't speak English and hasn't graduated High School and has 8 babies but a good majority of them come from Mexico with bare minimum education. Some that I know have lived here for over 10 years and still cannot speak English.

I'm in Texas which is overrun with illegals as well as legals.
I've lived in South Florida which had many Cubans, both the educated from the 60's flight and the uneducated criminals from the 80's flight.

It will put a huge burden on our educational and social programs.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTATL View Post
I wish we didnt have to place labels like white, black, and hispanic America. Why can't we all just be americans? I really dont have a problem with more hispanics (I'm Peruvian) as long as they enter the country legally. There are lots of Latin people who enter the country illegally to commit crimes and further the ruin of this great nation. On the other hand there are also many hard working immigrants from Latin America who could help our economy. Ethnicity should'nt matter.
even if america was the way you waned it, people, esp latinos will still represent their home countries and even that is seperatism and would cause problems (nationalism) and or chauvinistic attitudes

Old 07-17-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Still trying to figure out what threat some whites are so afraid of, one second it is the Blacks and the next it is Hispanics, even heard Muslims brought on discussion boards, does diveristy really scare you that much. One thought, if you live anywhere in the south from TX to Cal, the Hispanics were here first.
Casper

hispanics werent here first lol...native groups were if you want to break it down hispanic is a US label and therefore is tied to AMERICAN BORN PPL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies