Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 04:01 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandvicky View Post
Obviously the vote no longer works. Look what we have. Maybe you like it.
Sure didn't like it during the Bush years, when the SCOTUS, not the people selected the president.

So, it really is sour grapes and nothing else.
Thanks for confirming that for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 04:05 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
They have their own retirement plan, not SS. They have their own insurance which will not lump them with the rest of us under a new "health care plan".
Every Senator and Congressperson first elected since 1983 pays into Social Security. They do not have some cushy system all to themselves. Their retirement plan is the same as that of every civilian federal worker except that they are eligible at age 50 with 20 years of service, where others need to reach 55 and 30. Members of Congress also participate in the same health insurance program as is available to all civilian federal employees. Nothing special for them there either.

609 posts, read 2,118,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Good heavens

You either want what they have, or you want them to have what you have. Are you this way about your boss, too?

It's okay to be a communist, you know.
I do not need what they have. I have taken care of myself all my life. Have not used ANY government assistance in any way.

Seems like a lot of you still live with mommy and daddy or have your hand out.

Very very sad.

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Obviously the vote no longer works. Look what we have. Maybe you like it.
By "the vote no longer works", do you mean you voted a certain way but didnt get the result you wanted? So "the vote" is broken?

Old 07-18-2009, 04:06 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Gee, maybe not.

Are you a communist?
Are you saying that you don't see that the Congress is totally corrupted? I know that you understand that but won't see that elections don't really work anymore because they make all the rules and don't bother to make the rules fit them.

The "rules" that they operate under in their house floor operations aren't what they say they are. For instance, Nasty Nancy rules the House with an iron fist. She decides what they will talk about and when and even cuts her opposition off when they try to get involved. I am not talking about the Dems running the House because the same rules apply when the Reps are in the majority there. However that is hard to remember since they were in control there for a part of Clinton and 6 years of Bush and nearly not at all in the 40 years before Clinton.

Dirty Harry Reid is one of the "worst" of the Senators but he decides that they can throw certain new things on bills that have to pass. There is one right now that he is trying to sneak the Hate Crimes bill that has been around for about 11 years without being passed onto a military bill that is sure to pass. The President has said that he will veto it if it doesn't have the proper things on it and I don't believe him so I hope the Senate passes it even though I think that Eric Holder will declare my right to free speech on any forum not free any more.

Right now the Senate is the biggest pile of Pelosi in the whole government. They have that 60 vote rule, that I call the 60 vote fool rule about what it takes when a majority should be all that is needed. The idiotic Republicans must have thought they would have a huge majority forever when they allowed the Dems to insert that rule while they were the minority.

We need some severe changes in the Congress. We need term limits there and there is no way to get them since they have to propose the amendment to get them and who is going to vote for something like that that would take away his $174,000 per year salary for doing so little of anything?

Yep, the corruption has to be dealt with and the voters are starting to get fat and happy with all the things that Obama is holding out in front of them. This is so much like the carrot and stick routine with the jackass.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:08 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
I think a lot of Americans have had it. I certainly have. The political elitists do not have to play by the rules they make for their constituents.

It has become the 535 against 300,000,000. They have their own retirement plan, not SS. They have their own insurance which will not lump them with the rest of us under a new "health care plan".

Amazing they are exempt from the rules they make. I wonder how long this can continue and when the masses instead of a few will actually wake up and catch on.
I'm especially frightened of this "C Street " Cult that seems to think they were appointed by God and their first loyalty to each other, rather than their electorate.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:08 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
I think a lot of Americans have had it. I certainly have. The political elitists do not have to play by the rules they make for their constituents.

It has become the 535 against 300,000,000. They have their own retirement plan, not SS. They have their own insurance which will not lump them with the rest of us under a new "health care plan".

Amazing they are exempt from the rules they make. I wonder how long this can continue and when the masses instead of a few will actually wake up and catch on.
You should check your facts before posting...

Quote:
Under a law enacted in 1983, all members of Congress both contribute to and receive benefits from the Social Security system. Upon retirement, members receive either a combination of federal pension and Social Security benefits or Social Security alone, depending upon when their term of service started and how they configured their individual plan.

Members elected after 1983 pay into the Federal Employees Retirement System. Members elected before 1983 participate in the older Civil Service Retirement Program. In both cases, members of Congress contribute to the plans at a slightly higher rate than ordinary federal employees.
Congressional Pensions vs. Social Security - Netlore Archive
On what information do you base your assertion:
They have their own insurance which will not lump them with the rest of us under a new "health care plan".

Old 07-18-2009, 04:09 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
It's okay to be a communist, you know.
As long as you're on the receiving end of a live fire rifle range!

609 posts, read 2,118,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Are you saying that you don't see that the Congress is totally corrupted? I know that you understand that but won't see that elections don't really work anymore because they make all the rules and don't bother to make the rules fit them.

The "rules" that they operate under in their house floor operations aren't what they say they are. For instance, Nasty Nancy rules the House with an iron fist. She decides what they will talk about and when and even cuts her opposition off when they try to get involved. I am not talking about the Dems running the House because the same rules apply when the Reps are in the majority there. However that is hard to remember since they were in control there for a part of Clinton and 6 years of Bush and nearly not at all in the 40 years before Clinton.

Dirty Harry Reid is one of the "worst" of the Senators but he decides that they can throw certain new things on bills that have to pass. There is one right now that he is trying to sneak the Hate Crimes bill that has been around for about 11 years without being passed onto a military bill that is sure to pass. The President has said that he will veto it if it doesn't have the proper things on it and I don't believe him so I hope the Senate passes it even though I think that Eric Holder will declare my right to free speech on any forum not free any more.

Right now the Senate is the biggest pile of Pelosi in the whole government. They have that 60 vote rule, that I call the 60 vote fool rule about what it takes when a majority should be all that is needed. The idiotic Republicans must have thought they would have a huge majority forever when they allowed the Dems to insert that rule while they were the minority.

We need some severe changes in the Congress. We need term limits there and there is no way to get them since they have to propose the amendment to get them and who is going to vote for something like that that would take away his $174,000 per year salary for doing so little of anything?

Yep, the corruption has to be dealt with and the voters are starting to get fat and happy with all the things that Obama is holding out in front of them. This is so much like the carrot and stick routine with the jackass.

You got it right "roysoldboy". Just the far far left posting here will never get it.

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
I do not need what they have. I have taken care of myself all my life. Have not used ANY government assistance in any way.

Seems like a lot of you still live with mommy and daddy or have your hand out.

Very very sad.
Picking my way through these nutty personal attacks...

You're unhappy because Congress wont be using the public option health insurance plan, is that it? We're all down in the mud and they're all roistering up on Mt. Olympus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies