Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 07:18 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
Why is this thread turning into a discussion on acceptable levels of PDA? This was a quick kiss and the news show I saw (some local station in SLC) set up cameras and showed footage of plenty of heterosexual couples kissing each other.

The ONLY reason one finds same-sex affection "gross" or uncomfortable is because you've been taught that. In some cultures two men will kiss on the mouth as friends and or family.
Actually, I wasn't taught that kissing another man in a passionate manner was wrong. It is a feeling that comes from the very depths of my being. Just like when you do something you know is wrong and you get that tight feeling in your stomach. That is how I feel when I see two men kissing each other. But, as I said earlier, it is a free country and as long as they(hetero or homo) are not exposing themselves I have nothing to say about it. I will simply keep walking and go on about my business.

But you are wrong about being taught that it's wrong. For those of the heterosexual nature, it simply feels wrong. Just as I am sure to the homosexual person, it feels right. See, by your own reasoning, it would be safe to say homosexual behavior was also taught. If you don't believe this is true, and that homosexuality is natural, then you should easily understand the concept that feelings aren't taught to you, they simply are. Isn't that what the homosexual community has been telling us all along. That this is just who they are, and how they feel. Naturally, the same is true for heterosexual people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 07:20 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Precisely. Love is love. There truly is no difference.
If kissing equals love, then feel free to propose to my posterior.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:23 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

I'll be the first to state that watching two men slogging is about one of the grossest things that I can think of, but that is my problem, not theirs.
Heh. I'll be the first to state that watching two men slogging is about one of the biggest turn-ons that I can think of.

Kind of like straight men like watching girls going at each other, I like seeing the boys. More boy parts for me to enjoy!!

Some of you guys would hate my husband and me. We kiss all the time. We kiss so much that people can't help but take pictures of it!

Old 07-19-2009, 07:24 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
No need to feel uncomfortable and get upset. Next time, just make a joke about it. Live and let live.
Yeah, my kids enjoyed watching these two fondle each other

Old 07-19-2009, 07:32 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
But you are wrong about being taught that it's wrong. For those of the heterosexual nature, it simply feels wrong. Just as I am sure to the homosexual person, it feels right. See, by your own reasoning, it would be safe to say homosexual behavior was also taught. If you don't believe this is true, and that homosexuality is natural, then you should easily understand the concept that feelings aren't taught to you, they simply are. Isn't that what the homosexual community has been telling us all along. That this is just who they are, and how they feel. Naturally, the same is true for heterosexual people.
You can't ignore the cultural component, however. Even though I am definitely gay, it took me awhile to get used to the idea of seeing two guys kiss and to not feel grossed out about it. I still sometimes feel grossed out when I see it. That's how powerful societal and cultural bias can be. Hopefully, you consider yourself fortunate that you've never had to deal with it in this respect.

If you grow up and you're taught that something is very bad or wrong, you have to work very hard to overcome that, even if your own personal feelings are telling you that it's alright. It's one reason why so many gay men and women struggle with coming out of the closet, and even after they come out, it can take years (or even decades) to fully accept themselves for who they are.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Yeah, my kids enjoyed watching these two fondle each other
I'd tell them to get over themselves and grow up.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:34 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,152,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I did not bother reading the link but I think ALL ranchy displays of public affections (PDA's) should be abolished for BOTH homo and hetero sexuals. Let's keep it rated "G" folks.
Abolished?

Someone please remind me again how Americans and Christians are so much more progressive, tolerant and civilized than Islamic/Muslim societies?

Because the Americans I'm seeing, hearing and reading from over the last few years; don't resemble anything even remotely close to what America and Americans are supposed to stand for.

While I'm personally not all that fond of any people going overboard by making out and/or fondling each other in a public setting; I certainly would ever entertain the concept of abolishment.

Some light kissing, that's cool. A little making out, that's okay.

Overboard making out......... tacky and distasteful in most public settings.

Fondling is pretty much always distasteful in most public settings.

And this goes for Hetros and Homosexuals. It's a matter of showing a little class, tact and consideration for the people around you. That's all.

No need to abolish. Just show a little class.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:38 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
All right so listen up! Ironic how my originall title describing the act,was edited because it was offensive, but most post argue that the act is not! Just sayin. The bottom line is, you have a whole bunch of homo's and hetero sympathizers, purposely taunting and provoking the church with their , digusting behavior,( my opinion) at the risk of ruining his credibility kevk had it exactly right! For the record, I am not big on any pda, I just lined out one of my sons 16 year old classmates for sitting in the grass, sucking face with a girl at a carnival, if it would have been two homos or lesbians in front of my kids, it would have been alot more than a lining out. Keep it in your closet and I will stay out of it. End of story!

Old 07-19-2009, 07:42 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
No need to abolish. Just show a little class.
Uh -- you do realize that this is being read mostly by Americans, don't you?

Classlessness appears to be what we're best at these days....

Old 07-19-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I just lined out one of my sons 16 year old classmates for sitting in the grass, sucking face with a girl at a carnival
You scolded one of your son's classmates for kissing a girl? Why?

Quote:
Keep it in your closet and I will stay out of it. End of story!
Forget it. I don't agree with causing a disturbance on private property if the owners don't approve of it, but on public property or on the street, you have no right to butt in. No closets for anyone, thank you. If you don't like it, look away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies