Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 07:01 PM
emh

298 posts, read 852,010 times

Advertisements

Another thing I wanted to say (slightly off-topic) is that even though I'm a liberal, I'm very conservative in my own behavior.

No piercings or tattoos. Don't do drugs, drink maybe one beer every six months, don't swear, don't sleep around.

I've seen some of the conservatives on this forum insinuate that liberals lead wild and crazy lives. I'm sure there are some who do but I'm as bland as they come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 07:08 PM

785 posts, read 1,050,106 times
Gun control: I don't think that more guns lead to more crime like alot of extreme liberals do. Although I don't currently own a gun, I've owned some in the past and I feel that everyone has a right to a gun for self-defense. I think that in order to reduce the amount of crimes with guns involved, we shouldn't be focused on getting guns off the street; we should be focused on eliminating the causes that lead to a violent society: poverty, unemployment, lack of education, illegal drug blackmarkets.
Plus alot of people like to hunt and, while I've never been a hunter myself, I think people should have the right to do so. I also recognize that hunting can be good for the environment because it stops some animal populations from becoming so big that they completely screw up their habitat.

Balancing the Budget: I am for big spending, but I consider myself to be more concerned about red ink than my fellow lefties. I think that there are plenty taxes that could be raised, plenty of wasteful spending that could be cut, and the government could create some state run enterprises such as the Tennessee Valley Authority, saving taxpayers millions, if not billions, every year.

Eminent Domain: While eminent domain is ok in some situations, I disagreed with the Kilo Vs. New London decision. In that decision I believe it was the conservative judges that said they believed that the city of New London did not have the right to expropriate people's homes in order to give the land to developers for commercial purposes. Hopefully I will have enough money to buy a house one day. When and if that day comes, I'll be really pissed if the city council forces me to sell my house so that a Wal-Mart or a Home Depot can be built.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:11 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emh View Post
Another thing I wanted to say (slightly off-topic) is that even though I'm a liberal, I'm very conservative in my own behavior.

No piercings or tattoos. Don't do drugs, drink maybe one beer every six months, don't swear, don't sleep around.

I've seen some of the conservatives on this forum insinuate that liberals lead wild and crazy lives. I'm sure there are some who do but I'm as bland as they come.
yep, the stereotypes are hilarious...
I don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs and never have....
I have never had any debt, other than a mortgage,
never received any "assistance" from the government....
And have been married to the same guy for 25 years

And I bet there are many, many more here that don't fit the stupid "stereotypes".

forum rules, please read them

Old 07-19-2009, 07:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
strong union supporter strong NRA supporter, strong law and order supporter, strong supporter of anybody that will stop the overspending, anybody.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:15 PM

785 posts, read 1,050,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'm registered as a Democrat.

But:
I think our border with Mexico needs to be much stronger. I'd like to see a double-wall built along the entire border. The border should be airtight.

I believe English should be our official language.

I don't demonize people who drive SUVs.

I have mixed feelings about all of the environmental activism.

I'm against affirmative action.

I have mixed feelings about hate crime laws.

I believe there are differences between races and ethnicities. We're not all alike.
Although I'm for taking aggressive measures to reduce carbon emissions, I don't like it when people demonize SUV and pickup truck drivers. Some people need these types of vehicles because of the kind of work they do.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:17 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
Although I'm for taking aggressive measures to reduce carbon emissions, I don't like it when people demonize SUV and pickup truck drivers.
I am one of those and am for taking aggressive measures to reduce carbon emissions.

And, no, I don't NEED to drive one - I just prefer it.

Quite the hypocrite I know.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:20 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
And I bet there are many, many more here that don't fit the stupid "stereotypes".
That is why I started this thread. I think a ton of people on here who are very staunch on some issues might surprise people on other issues.

I rag on the left and liberals pretty hard in a lot of my posts, but I think its because the vast majority of the threads in this forum seem to go so over the top, even when the OP is a well thought out post, it is hard to take things seriously and post thoughtfully. I try to and do so pretty regularly. But I also post over the top regularly too as its just easy to get caught up in the heat of a thread.

So far 3 pages into this thread, I have seen that a lot of us here are pretty level headed when speaking about ourselves rather than trying to debate a specific topic. Its also nice to see people are really so much more than just left/right, liberal/conservative.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:26 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
I cant STAND political correctness. I hate what has happened to "academia". Im against illegal immigration, think English should be the official language. I have no patience with people who say we need to get out of the Mideast "NOW." I wish the unions hadnt become corrupt and dont see a way to change them. I wish the only drug people were interested in was pot.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:42 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
That is why I started this thread. I think a ton of people on here who are very staunch on some issues might surprise people on other issues.

Yep, I agree.

I rag on the left and liberals pretty hard in a lot of my posts, but I think its because the vast majority of the threads in this forum seem to go so over the top, even when the OP is a well thought out post, it is hard to take things seriously and post thoughtfully. I try to and do so pretty regularly. But I also post over the top regularly too as its just easy to get caught up in the heat of a thread.

I think this goes for "both sides". Most people probably would come across quite different in "real life" than they do on these forums. Sitting behind a keyboard and being totally anonymous seems to bring out the worst in some people, unfortunately... and then there are some people that just love to stir the pot...and start flame wars...

So far 3 pages into this thread, I have seen that a lot of us here are pretty level headed when speaking about ourselves rather than trying to debate a specific topic. Its also nice to see people are really so much more than just left/right, liberal/conservative.
I agree.

forum rules, please read them

Old 07-19-2009, 07:49 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,291,973 times
I support responsible people having guns but please don't tell me its necessary for anyone but the police or military to have assault rifle or a .50 cal Barrett thats used to take down elephants and tanks..when elephants start walking in our cities than ill be the first one to get a .50 cal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies