Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:44 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,291,575 times

Advertisements

Because every TV Channel is WET
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 12:51 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
Because every TV Channel is WET
I guess you don't ever watch those channels that carry mostly sit-coms from the 80s about black families, etc. Not that I don't like those things, as could be seen by the amount of times I watch the Cosby Show each day. I don't even manage to see the skin color of those people anymore.

Why Starz even has one channel that never carries anything but primarily black movies. You can't call them WET. Well maybe you could.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
It turns out that identification by hyphenation and the goal of diversity have a Balkinzing effect on communities. Diversity is extolled as a virture but Harvard Political Scientist Robert Putnam found out it has its costs. Putnam found "the greater the diversity in a community, the fewer people vote and the less they volunteer, the less they give to charity and work on community projects. In the most diverse communities, neighbors trust one another about half as much as they do in the most homogenous settings."
I am not allowed to rep you for this post so will do it by saying GREAT POST People need to see some of that kind of info now and then. Especially those who are so strong on diversity as the end all of things.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:04 PM

I guess you don't watch too much daytime CNN. They have black co-hosts all day every day and that is about 50 - 50.

I remember a high school in Topeka, Ks back in integration days, you know right after Brown v. Topeka Board of Education. Well the biggest high school in town, the one Brown attended, had a varsity basketball team which had 11 blacks and one white on it. The kids joked a lot about that like the white getting on the bus and demanding the lights be turned on because it was so dark in there. Well, now the NAACP showed up in the principal's office one day demanding more than one black cheerleader and the principal ran them out without even arguing. He just said we can well get a more racially balanced group of cheerleaders but we MUST apply the same formula to the team itself.

It is things like this that have always had the worst effects on kids that get along because they don't really see the difference in skin color. BTW, the white boy was a starter. I wonder if that was because they needed a token white.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:20 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,477,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
there's no WET? (Black entertainment television)

There is..ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox

Caucasian College Scholarships & Grants? (African American College Scholarships & Grants)

They're called legacy entrants. Also, they're called minority grants which whites use to attend HBCUs

White Enterprise Magazine (Black Enterprise Magazine)

Every other magazine in America is.

a website named Whitenews.com (Blacknews.com DOES exist)

It's called foxnews.

White History Month....????????????????????

They are 11 of them..Blacks just got the shortest.

p.s. Americans for a White History Month Petition
Sad thing is, you probably genuinely don't understand why these things came about. There were few if any AA themed shows on T.V. when BET was formed and even today for that matter. There are were no magazine and news outlets for blacks. Funny how people say blacks should do for themselves but when they do, they are critisized. This country was until recently segragated and remains that way in part in sections of this country. If you wanted to be heard as an African-American, you had to use these outlets. AA history month was created because it wasn't being taught in schools. It's actually a henderance because teachers feel the need to cram AA history into the shortest month of the year instead of treating it as American History.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:40 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Sad thing is, you probably genuinely don't understand why these things came about. There were few if any AA themed shows on T.V. when BET was formed and even today for that matter. There are were no magazine and news outlets for blacks. Funny how people say blacks should do for themselves but when they do, they are critisized. This country was until recently segragated and remains that way in part in sections of this country. If you wanted to be heard as an African-American, you had to use these outlets. AA history month was created because it wasn't being taught in schools. It's actually a henderance because teachers feel the need to cram AA history into the shortest month of the year instead of treating it as American History.
You know what cracks me up is when these people cry about "reverse racism" & "affirmative action". You know, the whole "it's even more racist to have affirmative action. We should totally eliminate it, then we'll get rid of racism". They're argument is so transparent it's amusing. You're not fooling anyone!

Old 07-20-2009, 01:48 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post

you are on fire with bad information today.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:02 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
You know what cracks me up is when these people cry about "reverse racism" & "affirmative action". You know, the whole "it's even more racist to have affirmative action. We should totally eliminate it, then we'll get rid of racism". They're argument is so transparent it's amusing. You're not fooling anyone!
Oh really? So, judging people by the color of their skin is not racist? Martin Luther King must have been way off when he said:
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." It doesn't matter what your judgement is, treating people differently based on the color of their skin is discrimination, because somebody has to get the short end of the stick (unless you can make an argument for 'separate but equal').

Old 07-20-2009, 02:03 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Oh really? So, judging people by the color of their skin is not racist? Martin Luther King must have been way off when he said:
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." It doesn't matter what your judgement is, treating people differently based on the color of their skin is discrimination, because somebody has to get the short end of the stick (unless you can make an argument for 'separate but equal').
You might want to re-read my post. I don't think you get where I'm coming from.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:13 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,477,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
you are on fire with bad information today.
You are on ice with NO information as usual. You haven't refuted any of my facts. Just simple minded comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies