Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 01:52 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayiga View Post
Africans were tortured , killed and forced to leave their continent for many years by whites. Instead of developing like other countries they spent the time hiding,jailed and treated like animals or tractors and being sold to other countries by whites that had the most power, that went on for decades and it makes me mad that people always complain why Africa is so behind. But Africans we are strong , we don't complain to why our great great great grand parents were sold and shipped to many strange countries instead we work hard get our education and don't expect petty from anybody. The way we see it we have already been down so the only way to go is UP.
Factually incorrect. It's called the slave trade for reason, Africans were willing participants and in some cases big proponents of the slave trade. After all it was the biggest source of foreign currency for them for centuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 02:18 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayiga View Post
Africans were tortured , killed and forced to leave their continent for many years by whites. Instead of developing like other countries they spent the time hiding,jailed and treated like animals or tractors and being sold to other countries by whites that had the most power, that went on for decades and it makes me mad that people always complain why Africa is so behind. But Africans we are strong , we don't complain to why our great great great grand parents were sold and shipped to many strange countries instead we work hard get our education and don't expect petty from anybody. The way we see it we have already been down so the only way to go is UP.
You've contradicted yourself in your own paragraph.

You don't complain about being slaves but complain about being killed and tortured.

American. Proud of it.

Last check, I wasn't looking into going to Lagos for grad school.

Last edited by GreyDay; 10-09-2011 at 02:45 PM..

Old 10-09-2011, 02:51 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
You've contradicted yourself in your own paragraph.

You don't complain about being slaves but complain about being killed and tortured.

American. Proud of it.

Last check, I wasn't looking into going to Lagos for grad school.
Exactly where did the poster contradict himself??

Old 10-09-2011, 03:50 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
I have an African friend, that believes that all Black Americans are poor and not as hard working as Africans. I have also noticed forums on this board, that state that Africans are harder working than African Americans.

I looked up some information and African Americans have a GDP of over 1.1 Trillion Dollars and a population of 35 Million people. The US total GDP was 14 Trillion (300 Million population) and the total GDP for the entire continent of Africa is just under 2 Trillion and there are almost 1 Billion people living there.

My question is do all African's believe this? Also, how can you look down on the "supposed" poverty of African Americans, if your country has a population, that is 28x's bigger than the US African American population, but as an entire continent you only have a trillion dollars more in GDP?

My second to lat question is why don't African Americans just leave the US and start their own country on some island? Based on those GDP figures African Americans have a higher GDP than Russia, Spain, Netherlands, Canada, Brazil, India, Mexico, Australia, South Korea, Turkey, Belgium, Switzerland, Sweden, Austria, and etc.

My last question is how bad is it really in America as a "minority" considering if you left the country and went anywhere else in the world you would still be a first world country be leaps and bounds?
There was another forum on here which stated African immigrants are the highest educated demographic in the US, even more so than Asian immigrants. By contrast, AAs are among the lowest educated. This doesn't surprise me.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Exactly where did the poster contradict himself??
Essentially by saying Africa hasn't advanced as a country but they're strong and don't expect pity like black Americans using the legacy of slavery as an excuse for not succeeding.

So Africans can use slavery as an excuse but Black Americans can't?

Old 10-09-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
There was another forum on here which stated African immigrants are the highest educated demographic in the US, even more so than Asian immigrants. By contrast, AAs are among the lowest educated. This doesn't surprise me.
Aside from color, there's a huge difference between blacks and Africans.

Generally Africans in America are highly self-selected, generally upper class in their respective countries and had strong educations before they got to America.

No excuses for Blacks here, but you're comparing the cream of the crop of Africa to ALL blacks in America.

Compare Blacks from say families with $100k/year incomes and the disparities would likely disappear.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:51 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Aside from color, there's a huge difference between blacks and Africans.

Generally Africans in America are highly self-selected, generally upper class in their respective countries and had strong educations before they got to America.

No excuses for Blacks here, but you're comparing the cream of the crop of Africa to ALL blacks in America.

Compare Blacks from say families with $100k/year incomes and the disparities would likely disappear.
Not sure about that. My personal story is that neither of my parents could be remotely construed as coming from Ghanaian upper or even middle class. None of the African immigrants I grew up with had an upper class background and even if they did they certainly didn't live one in the USA.

Generally speaking though immigrants tend to be ambitious. Most people are loathe to leave all they know for the unknown. So on that basis I would concede there is an element of self-selection.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Not sure about that. My personal story is that neither of my parents could be remotely construed as coming from Ghanaian upper or even middle class. None of the African immigrants I grew up with had an upper class background and even if they did they certainly didn't live one in the USA.

Generally speaking though immigrants tend to be ambitious. Most people are loathe to leave all they know for the unknown. So on that basis I would concede there is an element of self-selection.
I used the term 'generally'. However just having the gumption to leave all you know, being able to pull whatever strings you need to pull to get a VISA, move to another country and go to school- definitely puts you in a smaller, more driven group than the average population.

No disrespect meant and I respect achievements of any that came here.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:08 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
you have the country that blacks built themselves. it's called africa. good job with that.
But black Americans had no hand in building Africa .. Africans, both white and black did.

Please don't confuse black Americans with Africans .. there can be no comparison, and it's the African that reminds us of that fact almost daily ..

Old 10-09-2011, 09:28 PM

674 posts, read 698,516 times
Quote:
Essentially by saying Africa hasn't advanced as a country but they're strong and don't expect pity like black Americans using the legacy of slavery as an excuse for not succeeding.

So Africans can use slavery as an excuse but Black Americans can't?
I don't know how many times I've read that Africa is a country in this thread. Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies