Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 10:30 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,759 times

Advertisements

I have an African friend, that believes that all Black Americans are poor and not as hard working as Africans. I have also noticed forums on this board, that state that Africans are harder working than African Americans.

I looked up some information and African Americans have a GDP of over 1.1 Trillion Dollars and a population of 35 Million people. The US total GDP was 14 Trillion (300 Million population) and the total GDP for the entire continent of Africa is just under 2 Trillion and there are almost 1 Billion people living there.

My question is do all African's believe this? Also, how can you look down on the "supposed" poverty of African Americans, if your country has a population, that is 28x's bigger than the US African American population, but as an entire continent you only have a trillion dollars more in GDP?

My second to lat question is why don't African Americans just leave the US and start their own country on some island? Based on those GDP figures African Americans have a higher GDP than Russia, Spain, Netherlands, Canada, Brazil, India, Mexico, Australia, South Korea, Turkey, Belgium, Switzerland, Sweden, Austria, and etc.

My last question is how bad is it really in America as a "minority" considering if you left the country and went anywhere else in the world you would still be a first world country be leaps and bounds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 11:49 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Why don't White people leave , and we can have the country we built all to our selves?

Old 07-20-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Why don't White people leave , and we can have the country we built all to our selves?

I did not post a thread asking why whites don't leave, so i cannot answer your question. I posted a thread asking under the circumstances of living as a majority in a 1st World Country instead of a minority in a 1st World country why do Blacks choose to stay?

Why would whites leave a country they are the majority in?

Old 07-20-2009, 12:54 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post

you have the country that blacks built themselves. it's called africa. good job with that.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:07 PM

486 posts, read 984,016 times
At first your thread had SO MUCH potential for discussion and it went downhill when you started talking about leaving.
I'm neither, African or African American, so I was simply looking forward an interesting thread and come to find that you are wondering why AA don't leave and form their own nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
I have an African friend, that believes that all Black Americans are poor and not as hard working as Africans. I have also noticed forums on this board, that state that Africans are harder working than African Americans.

I looked up some information and African Americans have a GDP of over 1.1 Trillion Dollars and a population of 35 Million people. The US total GDP was 14 Trillion (300 Million population) and the total GDP for the entire continent of Africa is just under 2 Trillion and there are almost 1 Billion people living there.

My question is do all African's believe this? Also, how can you look down on the "supposed" poverty of African Americans, if your country has a population, that is 28x's bigger than the US African American population, but as an entire continent you only have a trillion dollars more in GDP?

My second to lat question is why don't African Americans just leave the US and start their own country on some island? Based on those GDP figures African Americans have a higher GDP than Russia, Spain, Netherlands, Canada, Brazil, India, Mexico, Australia, South Korea, Turkey, Belgium, Switzerland, Sweden, Austria, and etc.

My last question is how bad is it really in America as a "minority" considering if you left the country and went anywhere else in the world you would still be a first world country be leaps and bounds?

Old 07-20-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1025 View Post
At first your thread had SO MUCH potential for discussion and it went downhill when you started talking about leaving.
I'm neither, African or African American, so I was simply looking forward an interesting thread and come to find that you are wondering why AA don't leave and form their own nation

Sorry GF, you feel this way, that was certainly not my intent. I have always wondered why Africans view our country's Blacks as lower then them, when the facts and the looking down upon should be the exact opposite.

I'm not saying or suggesting that African Americans should leave, I'm just pointing out, that if they did (hypothetically speaking) they would be a first world nation one of a small handful of predominately black nations in the first world. They would also be the wealthiest black nation in the world, if they were isolated on an island to themselves.

I could have probably rephrased the "leaving part" but that is why i asked it in the form of a question, rather than an out right suggestion.

I thought it was a rather interesting find and would lead to some great discussion. Hopefully i have not fanned the flames and come off as a race instigator, that was certainly not my intention.

I just asked the three question to get the debate started in some direction etc.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:15 PM

769 posts, read 887,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
I don't know about this sediment as I don't know many Africans and the only ones I do know are white :/

This seems to represent a skewed statistic, as wages/salaries, economic innovation, and growth are higher in this country too.

Hard working people with no jobs = no GDP

Old 07-20-2009, 01:19 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,474 times
Funny, in one thread a poster is mentioning how dangerous african gangs are running rampant, in another someone is asking if Africans think they are better than African Americans.

I think in america, its natural for EVERY group to think its somehow harder working, or has it tougher, than every other group. Africans, African Americans, women, men, Mexican americans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicano Americans, Cuban Americans, Japanese, Chinese etc

In the Twin Cities there is a large amount of Somali Africans living here, however from what I have observed and been told, they have little interaction with American black people. In fact, The somalis initially emigrated into the poorest of black neighborhoods, and ironically it seems this spurred African Americans to leave those neighborhoods and expand further out away from Somalis.

The irony sets in when you take into account that this is technically a form of 'black flight', something that frustrated some in the black community when some whites did the same when black (americans) moved into those same neighborhoods decades back.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:24 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
I don't know about this sediment as I don't know many Africans and the only ones I do know are white :/

This seems to represent a skewed statistic, as wages/salaries, economic innovation, and growth are higher in this country too.

Hard working people with no jobs = no GDP
Now this thing is going.

I have always wondered how any people can look down on the blacks (I hate that African-American word since most of our black people are descended from people who have lived here for up to 400 years)of this nation since they are an integral part of the number 1 nation in the world.

I always think about the words of Redd Foxx talking about people telling him to go back to Africa. He always replied, "I can't go back there, because I have never been there.

I don't know very many Africans, either, but find them to be about as good in the working and sweating area as Americans of the black race. What in hell does race have to do with who works hardest? Nationality maybe, but not race.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:31 PM

769 posts, read 887,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Nationality maybe, but not race.

Bingo.

After some travel, you will find that America is one of the least racist countries in the world, constantly challenging ourselves to be better because we have such a diverse mix of people living here. We also have very little contact with people from other countries, so the sense of national pride doesn't get renewed often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies