Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:59 AM

551 posts, read 855,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat007 View Post
with 15% unemployment? what do u think??

1,000 scientists, or 100,000 working people?
I think the current administration has no choice but to cut back at this point until things improve.

With that being said, which I mentioned in the other post is this:

The US Space Program has usually been less than 1% of the US Budget and yet it provides overwhelming benefits in space exploration, improvement of life technologies, greening of the planet and changing of lives for better stewardship of the planet.

Imagine if the other 99% of the US Budget was invested as wisely and provided as many stunning results. Where we would be today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 12:51 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,147,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmg1 View Post
I think the current administration has no choice but to cut back at this point until things improve.

With that being said, which I mentioned in the other post is this:

The US Space Program has usually been less than 1% of the US Budget and yet it provides overwhelming benefits in space exploration, improvement of life technologies, greening of the planet and changing of lives for better stewardship of the planet.

Imagine if the other 99% of the US Budget was invested as wisely and provided as many stunning results. Where we would be today?
agree.

This thorough article suggests NASA will have to develop a compelling momentum to get funding for new projects -- something they periodically have had to do; the 2010 budget isnt going to be lavish.
For NASA, the most opposition may be from the people who pay the bills: the public. In a 2005 USA TODAY poll, 58% opposed spending money on a human mission to Mars.

Americans may support human spaceflight, but they don't make it a high priority, says historian Roger Launius of the Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum. Nor do political leaders, he says. "That leaves us in low-Earth orbit for the foreseeable future," Launius says "I hope it doesn't come to that, but I'm afraid it might."
40 years after Apollo 11: What's our next step? - USATODAY.com

However, the Republicans have wanted to end NASA for years now and replace it with private enterprise.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:29 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,276,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
That event, along with Shephard, Gragarin, Ranger and the rest, were just the preliminary groundwark for the big event. The Space Age started on July 20, 1969, with Armstong's moon walk.
Maybe for the USA; Russia's started before then.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:55 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,757,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmg1 View Post
So will Barrack Obama (Democrat) and the Congress (Democrat) be the ones who end manned space flight or continue to support it?
They will continue to support both manned and unmanned space flight. In fact we may soon land a man on Mars! I would like to see this in my lifetime.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:01 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,709 times
sorry. space exploration started with joseph kittinger, and he never gets any recognition.

YouTube - Free Fall From Space - Captain Joe Kittinger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies