Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 01:17 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
July 20 (Bloomberg) -- Components of the index of leading economic indicators are signaling the worst U.S. recession in five decades may be over now, not three to six months from now.

Less-known elements of the Conference Board’s report, including ratios and diffusion indexes, bolster the view the contraction has ended. The leading index, a gauge of the economic outlook over the next two quarters, rose 0.7 percent in June, a third consecutive gain, the New York-based research group said today.

Recession in U.S. May Have Already Ended, Leading Index Shows - Bloomberg.com

The leading index was up 12.8 percent at an annual rate over the last three months, today’s report showed. It was the best performance since January 2002, two months after the last recession ended.

“This is the third straight month of a gain in leaders and suggests that, along with other economic evidence, the U.S. recession might have ended” in the second quarter, Kenneth Kim, an economist at Stone & McCarthy Research Associates in Princeton, New Jersey, wrote in a note to clients.

Earlier this year, only the financial components of the leading index -- including money supply and the difference in interest rates between the benchmark 10-year Treasury note and the overnight rate banks charge to borrow from each other --were rising. The increase in the diffusion index shows other measures are also now increasing.

“We now have positive moves in the indicators of the real side of the economy,” such as decreasing jobless claims and increasing building permits, the Conference Board’s Ozyildirim said.

This is funny. Again, talking heads. Try to get a good job if you lost yours. Try to get health insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 01:19 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
The tax credit will be extended. But commercial real estate is going to be hurting.
How can any jobs get created when small and medium businesses cannot afford the lease payments?

Article - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090720-708337.html - broken link)
Do you think it will be increased after the end of the year, or just stay the same?

If they do increase it when China is now having problems selling $20B of our T-Notes, I'm guessing it will be HIGHLY inflationary.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:20 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Government has not addressed the sickness in the economy all they have done is use band aids. The next bubble is right around the corner.
There will always be bubbles, and the trick is to take advantage of them. People shovel money into the bubble, and that's what we need right now. We need to get the money flowing again.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:20 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,737,711 times
Quote:
July 20 (Bloomberg) -- Components of the index of leading economic indicators are signaling the worst U.S. recession in five decades may be over now, not three to six months from now.

Less-known elements of the Conference Board’s report, including ratios and diffusion indexes, bolster the view the contraction has ended. The leading index, a gauge of the economic outlook over the next two quarters, rose 0.7 percent in June, a third consecutive gain, the New York-based research group said today.

Recession in U.S. May Have Already Ended, Leading Index Shows - Bloomberg.com

The leading index was up 12.8 percent at an annual rate over the last three months, today’s report showed. It was the best performance since January 2002, two months after the last recession ended.

“This is the third straight month of a gain in leaders and suggests that, along with other economic evidence, the U.S. recession might have ended” in the second quarter, Kenneth Kim, an economist at Stone & McCarthy Research Associates in Princeton, New Jersey, wrote in a note to clients.

Earlier this year, only the financial components of the leading index -- including money supply and the difference in interest rates between the benchmark 10-year Treasury note and the overnight rate banks charge to borrow from each other --were rising. The increase in the diffusion index shows other measures are also now increasing.

“We now have positive moves in the indicators of the real side of the economy,” such as decreasing jobless claims and increasing building permits, the Conference Board’s Ozyildirim said.
Borrowed money isnt recovery. Proppin up stiifs like toxic banks, corporations, individuals, and crooks like Government sachs dont count, because the borrowed money wasnt created by our economy, it was created by Chinas economy.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:21 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,050,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Do you think it will be increased after the end of the year, or just stay the same?

If they do increase it when China is now having problems selling $20B of our T-Notes, I'm guessing it will be HIGHLY inflationary.
Since I am a FTHB who will be in the market early next year I hope they increase it. From what I have been reading the high end is $15,000. It will probably wind up around $11,000 if I had to guess but it would be with less strings attached then the current tax credit. I.e. no income restrictions

Old 07-20-2009, 01:22 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,737,711 times
Quote:
There will always be bubbles, and the trick is to take advantage of them. People shovel money into the bubble, and that's what we need right now. We need to get the money flowing again.
Like Celente says, this is the mother of all bubbles - the bailout bubble, and when it does pop - look out below

Old 07-20-2009, 01:24 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,841,798 times
Quote:
Then he must have failed at destroying it, because things are looking better. You sound like a Obama-hater, and therefore you probably prayed for a complete economic collapse. Thank goodness your prayers were not answered, but then again, they rarely are when you pray for misfortune and misery for others.

I don't pray for anything. things don't look any better from where I am standing. recessions always come. he is prolonging it, and will make things worse in the long run. he's hoping that his little plan will provide temp jobs. well, those jobs go away.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:25 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
I dont think it's over by a long shot.

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Borrowed money isnt recovery. Proppin up stiifs like toxic banks, corporations, individuals, and crooks like Government sachs dont count, because the borrowed money wasnt created by our economy, it was created by Chinas economy.
Do you know how much/little we owe to China?

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,841,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How about tfs and me thinking about you?
nah, he's right. I am crazy. but at least I'm sane enough to admit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies