Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe global warming is now occuring?
Yes 201 48.20%
Yes, but it wont be as bad as predicted 63 15.11%
No 135 32.37%
Unsure 18 4.32%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 11:01 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,462,106 times

Advertisements

Report Gives Sobering View Of Warming’s Impact on U.S. by Michael D. Lemonick: Yale Environment 360

interesting read.

might have to move to Illinois around 2080...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 01:55 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
I'm tired of this hyperbole and yahoo trust me, is amongst the worst offenders. Here's the deal: yes I believe we should alternative sources of fuel and energy. Yes there is an increase in CO2 emissions with varying causes including breakdown of organic life and not just factors that can necessarily be controlled by the human race. Is there some sort of atmospheric changes in the weather patterns? Yes.
But there is no proof of alot of these doomsday scenarios put forth by the likes of Al Gore as being the end result. We have ice ages and so forth through out the course of earth's history. A few cavemen were the offenders? Is a couple of degrees of average warmer world wide temps over 100 years earth shattering? Does that really constitute a trend? Some times listening to people like Al Gore, you get the feeling they seem to believe the earth is just a few thousand years old and that the past century is a huge chunk of earth's life span. The correlation of melting ice caps to human activity is as about as substantive as trying to tie album sales to the musical talent of a pop music act.

We also have some evidence that ice (frozen CO2) on Mars has declined over the same time period. Doesn't take Alfred Einstein to connect the dots.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:30 AM

294 posts, read 412,560 times
co2 is natural. it's a harmless gas. it's what comes out of are lungs and is taken in by plant life. . global warming is a fraud. the man that started the weather channel laughs .when asked about the subject.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:34 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1974 View Post
co2 is natural. it's a harmless gas. it's what comes out of are lungs and is taken in by plant life. . global warming is a fraud. the man that started the weather channel laughs .when asked about the subject.
CO2 is a poisonous gas. In concentrations of 5-10% in air it will incapacitate or kill you. What we are really talking about is the fact that it blocks black body radiation, preventing the Earth from maintaining it's current energy balance.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:17 AM

carbon monoxide (co) is a poisonous gas that yes it will kill you and does make smog.carbon dioxide(co2) is different . plants need it to live an to make oxygen. we breathe out carbon dioxide(co2) your still alive right?

Old 09-15-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
carbon monoxide (co) is a poisonous gas that yes it will kill you and does make smog.carbon dioxide(co2) is different . plants need it to live an to make oxygen. we breathe out carbon dioxide(co2) your still alive right?
I'd be happy for you to demonstrate that I'm wrong through a personal test. CO2 at a level of 5-10% in the atmosphere will incapacitate and potentially kill you.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I'd be happy for you to demonstrate that I'm wrong through a personal test. CO2 at a level of 5-10% in the atmosphere will incapacitate and potentially kill you.
as a auto tech. i work around it .my point is CO is the cause of smog not co2. tree's will take in co2. and make oxygen. co2 is part of nature.nature can a just . it was here b4 us . we need oxgyen to make co2 and plants need co2 to make us oxgyen.

Last edited by JD1974; 09-15-2009 at 08:59 AM..

Old 09-15-2009, 08:57 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,755 times
Quote:
as a auto tech. i work around it .my point is CO is the cause of smog not co2. tree's will take in co2. and make oxygen. co2 is part of nature.nature can a just . it was here b4 us
Yup

By the way should this thread now be updated to say Climate Change? I'm sure it'll be called something else in a couple years so be prepared to change it again

Old 09-15-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
as a auto tech. i work around it .my point is CO is the cause of smog not co2. tree's will take in co2. and make oxygen. co2 is part of nature.nature can a just . it was here b4 us
All things are part of nature. A little water will keep you alive and a lot of water will make you drown. CO2 while essential to our current system need to be kept within bounds. We build levees and dikes to keep water under control. We will need to take action to keep CO2 levels under control.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:21 AM

I just find it amazing it's always something else. 1st it's CO and now it's co2. i agree CO is truly bad. Come on make up your minds . r12 refrigerant is bad so use r134a now it's bad and now they're coming out with something new . funny all made by dupont. just like we use to call it global cooling now it's global warming or climate change. it seems like they don't whats going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies