Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 04:20 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times

Advertisements

[quote=jamespr;9897130]
Quote:
Blacks are more likely to be involved in robbery, murder and violent crime than Whites or Asians. Are police supposed to ignore that fact?
They're not supposed to assume that because a person is black, they are more likely to be criminals than anyone else. I as a citizen have a right NOT to be profiled and harassed because of some cop's suspicions.

Quote:
Nearly everytime I hear about violent crime on the news, I think it's probably a Black person and it almost always is. They never fail to display.
Who disseminates the news? There is no vested interest among those who control the media to try to show Blacks in anything but a negative light. And this is coming from someone who was part of the media for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 04:33 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
[quote=Sunil's Dad;9897229]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespr View Post
They're not supposed to assume that because a person is black, they are more likely to be criminals than anyone else. I as a citizen have a right NOT to be profiled and harassed because of some cop's suspicions.
You're jumping to a false conclusion. The cops didn't come out to the house because they saw a black man in the yard and assumed he was up to no good. The cops came out to the house because a report was phoned in of a man....yes a BLACK man....who had forced open the front door of a house.

I have read people's comments saying the person who called was racist. Nope...she was doing what she thought was the right thing. People have berated her for not knowing who Gates was as if she should have said..."oh, that's just Professor Gates, and I know he's the owner of the home." Well obviously she had no idea who he was or that he owned the home. In this case, no good deed goes unpunished.

I have read people's comments saying the cops must have been racist and only came out because the report was that two BLACK men were seen breaking into a house. Nope...when a call comes in about a home invasion, they investigate the report. The fact that the two men were black was only incidental and served as a description for the cops to use when they arrived.

I've said it several times and I'll say it again. Had Gates simply greeted the cops politely and said...."Thanks for coming out. I'm the owner of the home. Here is my ID."...things would have turned out much differently. It was his belligerence and obvious agenda that led to his arrest. The fact that this was even made into a racial issue is insulting to the police and frankly shows Gates as a small and bitter man.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:37 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
[quote=neil0311;9897416]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post

You're jumping to a false conclusion. The cops didn't come out to the house because they saw a black man in the yard and assumed he was up to no good. The cops came out to the house because a report was phoned in of a man....yes a BLACK man....who had forced open the front door of a house.

I have read people's comments saying the person who called was racist. Nope...she was doing what she thought was the right thing. People have berated her for not knowing who Gates was as if she should have said..."oh, that's just Professor Gates, and I know he's the owner of the home." Well obviously she had no idea who he was or that he owned the home. In this case, no good deed goes unpunished.

I have read people's comments saying the cops must have been racist and only came out because the report was that two BLACK men were seen breaking into a house. Nope...when a call comes in about a home invasion, they investigate the report. The fact that the two men were black was only incidental and served as a description for the cops to use when they arrived.

I've said it several times and I'll say it again. Had Gates simply greeted the cops politely and said...."Thanks for coming out. I'm the owner of the home. Here is my ID."...things would have turned out much differently. It was his belligerence and obvious agenda that led to his arrest. The fact that this was even made into a racial issue is insulting to the police and frankly shows Gates as a small and bitter man.
I did not jump to any conclusion. I was responding to the racist posters who try to justify any possible racist behavior by cops by trying to brand black men as people more inclined to criminal behavior than others.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:42 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
I did not jump to any conclusion. I was responding to the racist posters who try to justify any possible racist behavior by cops by trying to brand black men as people more inclined to criminal behavior than others.
You are jumping to a conslusion right there. "Racist posters?" "Racist behavior by cops?" What racist behavior by cops? The only behavior we have information about is the childish and unbecoming behavior of Professor Gates.

As for the demographics of criminals, I don't know what they are, but whether or not they indicate one group being more involved in crimes, the statistics are what they are and are not racist if they indeed showed more blacks committed crime than they would be if they showed more whites did.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:51 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
For those interested, this web page has full coverage from Gates and the African-American perspective:

Professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. speaks out on racial profiling after his arrest by Cambridge police.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:03 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
I agree with much of what you say. I am well aware that these people are putting their lives in jeopardy every day and they fight the worst of society. Basically without LE, no one could live a normal life in this country. I didn't criticize that officer personally. I think its a matter of policy of how to deal with the public. Policemen are trained to perform certain activities and respond in certain ways. I don't blame that cop for being angry or upset or tired of dealing with the worst of society. Probably he followed his usual routine and that's the whole point. The policies I question are:
1) Putting every individual in handcuffs even for minimal "offenses".
2) Taking people in custody for arguing, being agitated, or talking back
3) Tasering a person (like a collage student) for refusing to lay down.
4) Opening fire on suspects when these suspects aren't even aware of police presence and do not put officers in danger.
5) When firing the gun, instead of 2-3 shots they fire 50 in the direction of the suspect(s). Now even if these suspects were dealing drugs, they weren't sentenced to death and definitely not by police.
5) Sometimes police will stop a car at random. The driver refuses to pull over and a high speed chase develops. There is no evidence that the driver committed any crimes. Why start a high speed chase putting everyone in danger, including innocent bystanders and the officer himself? Often the results of such chases are tragic, with someone losing his life.
Disclaimer - I don't criticize any use of force in cases of suspected terrorism, serial killers, rapists or when directly defending people (like hostage taking situations).

there are some cops that are wrong in how they handle some folks, no question about that, but that does not mean in every case
I almost got hit head on a few months ago in a high speed chase, the guy doing the running almost hit several folks when the cops finally got him
he still fought and got his butt kicked by a couple of the cops, if I had had a chance I would have kicked his butt too, he put so many people in harms way, there are so many nuts out there an officer never knows what he or she is dealing with.
if some jerk is fighting with a cop they have stepped over a line
to me it is better to put the cuffs on them if they want to act like a fool, I
do not feel sorry for them.
Personally, I am so sick of hearing everything is about race, that is just not true.
I did not vote for Obama, I was called a racist, good grief.
I think Gates was wrong and I disagree with the charge being dropped against him. They should have hauled his ass into court.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:14 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,482,465 times
I'm very sympathetic to those who feel they have been mistreated by police. It seems nowadays that cops are getting more and more "agressive" and hostile towards the public. But Gates lost me when he played the race card. Funny too, in the photo of Gate's arrest, there is a black cop present. Kind of takes the wind out yours sails, huh Skip!

Racism. A word long ago rendered meaningless through overuse and misapplication.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:16 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,482,465 times
Quote:
Personally, I am so sick of hearing everything is about race, that is just not true.
I did not vote for Obama, I was called a racist, good grief.
Tell me about it. It seems the new definition of racism is "I disagree with you!"

Old 07-22-2009, 06:18 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,197,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
I'm very sympathetic to those who feel they have been mistreated by police. It seems nowadays that cops are getting more and more "agressive" and hostile towards the public. But Gates lost me when he played the race card. Funny too, in the photo of Gate's arrest, there is a black cop present. Kind of takes the wind out yours sails, huh Skip!

Racism. A word long ago rendered meaningless through overuse and misapplication.
Would you explain to us all how a Black cop being present negates his claim of racial profiling?

Old 07-22-2009, 07:02 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,300,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
Would you explain to us all how a Black cop being present negates his claim of racial profiling?

Exactly. Black cops can be just as racist as their white buddies on the force. All cut from the same cloth once they go through that process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies