Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 08:22 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Once Gates produced I.D, they should have left. Stupid, egoist, ignorant Police Officers. I pray that a lawsuit comes. Dumb asses. They should make entering the police academy more stringent. Too many yahoos (many with racial vendettas) getting easy access.
The police WERE leaving. Gates pursued them continuing to rant. If he had just let them leave ... no arrest.

- Reel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 08:23 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,737 times
I didn't know he refused to identify himself the first time, that was silly. I mean if the guy got a call about possible break in and what if it really was a burglary at his house and the robber just said 'this is my house' and the cop left? Imagine how mad he'd be then if he got home and all his stuff was gone and 20 minutes earlier the cop was telling the guy sorry for the inconvenience have a nice night.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:26 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
I give up, because this is one of those things many people who are not Black or Latino will never understand because they have not been approached in a rude and overly aggressive manner by police before. You can't make someone who hasn't gone through that understand that.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:29 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,145 times

YouTube - HYPOCRITICAL racists who protect the turf of judges. Surely that could not be our High Court.

Institutionalised Racism......

Quote:
EDITORIAL: COUPLE gems this year, first Kirby J's dissention, and now
one of their lapdog, the mainstream media rag, slapping them in the
face....
High Court biases in firing line
Michael Pelly | July 17, 2009

HYPOCRITICAL racists who protect the turf of judges. Surely that could
not be our High Court.

Yet on what we have seen this year -- and what is to come -- there
will be plenty of ammo for those who like to stir the pot.

Already the court has covered topics ranging from the Northern
Territory intervention (Wurridjal) to the tax stimulus package (Pape).

There will be a further 30-odd judgments on matters such as the
military court, water compensation and of the limits of case
management by courts.

Wurridjal saw Chief Justice Robert French fume "at the gratuitous
suggestion ... (of the retiring Michael Kirby) that the outcome of
this case was based on an approach less favourable to the plaintiffs
because of their Aboriginality".

Kirby did not actually call his fellow judges racist, but when he said
they could have knocked over legislation that "applied to Aboriginal
Australians by specific reference to their race" others -- such as
French -- made the leap.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:30 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
I didn't know he refused to identify himself the first time, that was silly. I mean if the guy got a call about possible break in and what if it really was a burglary at his house and the robber just said 'this is my house' and the cop left? Imagine how mad he'd be then if he got home and all his stuff was gone and 20 minutes earlier the cop was telling the guy sorry for the inconvenience have a nice night.
Exactly!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:34 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,792 times
I have nothing to say since it will go nowhere, except this is one of the best threads i've read in a while. Finally, something with substance.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:35 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
first i will say i agree 100 percent with obama.

cop arrests guy after he has shown proper ID and is humiliated. cop obviously thought he was a criminal because he was black.

im tired of people covering for the cops 24/7 and letting them get away with anything. these cops are high school dropouts and rejects for the most parts. two of the cops in my city went to high school with me and were in the slow learners class.

they are a gang, a dangerous gang at that. you should not rely on them.

just remember this to all these gun toting if people come in my house and try to take me away and ill shoot em.

they came, you defended them, i dont ever want to hear that point again from any conservative.

i suspect though that they defend the cops because the arresting cop is white and the guy charged with the crime is black.

like i said though, wait until it happens to you.

i think the officials will try to make him take back what he said but i hope he doesnt.

time for the truth to come out about cops.
As usual, people miss the point completely.

0bama started out answering the reporter's question by stating: "I don’t know – not having been there and not seeing all the facts" and then he says later on that the police acted stupidly. If he says he does not have all the facts, how can he make that bold statement and call the police stupid? Why the hell is the POTUS disparaging an entire police forse on national TV any way?

This seems to be a tend with 0bama, he makes declarative statements and judges things without having all the facts. When this man speaks, always keep in mind that he routinely speaks, even authoritatively, from a position of complete and utter ignorance. Just the type of person we want with his finger on the nuclear button.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:35 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
lol...I've watched this whole thing play out with interest. We have a massive expenditure that needs (and will be passed) and a human interest story that goes on pretty much everyday throughout the Nation (so common most breathing citizens will admit it happens)

What are the odds the human interest story trumps the expenditure debate, the expenditure debate meanwhile undergoes a lot of changes that should really be publicized, and we hit zero hour with a flourish and a nailbiter as the bill of the century passes without anymore than a passing interest in the details.
For once I agree with you. The House bill is over 1000 pages long. Even Obama admitted he wasn't familiar with some of its provisions. So who's providing the details to the public? Certainly not the press that is too darned lazy to read the bill and do some real reporting for a change. This health insurance reform bill is huge and all we get from the press is the horse race--who's up and who's down. Shameful!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:39 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,818,992 times
From the Cambridge Police Report:

Quote:
On July 16, 2009 at approximately 12:44 PM, I Officer Figueroa#509 responded to an ECC bradcast for a possible break at XXX Ware St. When I arrived, I stepped into the residence and Sgt. Crowley had already entered and was speaking to a black male.

As I stepped in , I heard Sgt. Crowley ask for the gentleman’s information which he stated “NO I WILL NOT!”. The gentleman was shouting out to the Sgt. That the Sgt. Was a racist and yelled that ‘THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS TO BLACK MEN IN AMERICA!”. As the Sgt was trying to calm the gentleman, the gentleman shouted “You don’t know who your messing with!”

The gentleman refused to listen to as to why the Cambridge Police were there. While on the porch, the gentleman refused to be cooperative and continued shouting that the Sgt. is a racist police officer.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:40 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
The police WERE leaving. Gates pursued them continuing to rant. If he had just let them leave ... no arrest.

- Reel
My thing with this is that the police HAD to know that the charges against him wouldn't stick. So what was the point of arresting him? I've seen (with my own eyes - not on television) cops just ignore yelling people and tell them to have a nice day so I'm having a hard time understanding why that didn't happen here. It's not like he was standing on the hood of the police car or in the street waving a baseball bat. He was probably walking behind him, taunting him like a little kid. If they arrest everyone who did that; the whole ghetto would be empty.

Like I said in my earlier post, he should have just said "thanks for your cooperation" gotten back in the car said "that ____'s crazy" and went on about his business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies