Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 09:19 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Gates said that if the officer BEGS Gates for forgiveness, then "maybe I will forgive him..."

Who's the douche bag now?
lol nah this Gates guy sounds pretty funny, unless of coarse you were the officers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 09:23 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
first i will say i agree 100 percent with obama.

cop arrests guy after he has shown proper ID and is humiliated. cop obviously thought he was a criminal because he was black.

im tired of people covering for the cops 24/7 and letting them get away with anything. these cops are high school dropouts and rejects for the most parts. two of the cops in my city went to high school with me and were in the slow learners class.

they are a gang, a dangerous gang at that. you should not rely on them.

just remember this to all these gun toting if people come in my house and try to take me away and ill shoot em.

they came, you defended them, i dont ever want to hear that point again from any conservative.

i suspect though that they defend the cops because the arresting cop is white and the guy charged with the crime is black.

like i said though, wait until it happens to you.

i think the officials will try to make him take back what he said but i hope he doesnt.

time for the truth to come out about cops.
I would be thankful if my neighbors saw a man force my front door and called the police instead of pretending they never saw it!

He should not have gotten disorderly !

I can hear him now do you know who I am! Bla bla bla bla.........

I highly doubt that they "JUST" arrested him without a reason!

obama's comments are to cause the continual division between blacks/hispanics and whites.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:24 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Gates real mistake really was that he should have called a locksmith over. This whole situation could have been avoided so easily.
The house belongs to Harvard. Gates was on the phone asking Harvard to have someone come by and fix the lock. I don't think Gates wanted to pay for a locksmith, he wanted Harvard to take care of it.

But the lock was disfigured, per Gates. Which I think also added to the police officer's skepticism when Gates claimed he was the homeowner. Should that skepticism been tempered by Gates appearance, a well-dressed man with a cane? A man who speaks well, and clearly wasn't used to being confronted by the police? A man who seemed comfortable and at ease in the home. Yes, those things should have made an impression on the officer. Instead, what seemed to have struck the officer was Gates' tone and Gates' repudiation of the police officer. And the situation spiraled out of control.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:26 AM

1,396 posts, read 3,442,847 times
Posted 90 minutes ago..

Cambridge sergeant declines to criticize Obama - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe

"Cambridge police Sergeant James Crowley declined today to criticize President Obama for saying Wednesday night that police "acted stupidly" in the arrest last week of Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr., but he did say it was "regrettable" that anyone would speak without knowing the "whole story" of the confrontation a week ago at Gates's home near Harvard Square."

Old 07-23-2009, 09:26 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The house belongs to Harvard. Gates was on the phone asking Harvard to have someone come by and fix the lock. I don't think Gates wanted to pay for a locksmith, he wanted Harvard to take care of it.

But the lock was disfigured, per Gates. Which I think also added to the police officer's skepticism when Gates claimed he was the homeowner. Should that skepticism been tempered by Gates appearance, a well-dressed man with a cane? A man who speaks well, and clearly wasn't used to being confronted by the police? A man who seemed comfortable and at ease in the home. Yes, those things should have made an impression on the officer. Instead, what seemed to have struck the officer was Gates' tone and Gates' repudiation of the police officer. And the situation spiraled out of control.
The house belongs to Harvard; Gates leases it from the school.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:27 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Gates real mistake really was that he should have just called a locksmith over. This whole situation could have been avoided so easily.
I probably wouldn't have called the locksmith. It was common for my front door to get stuck if it rained a lot and I hadn't opened it for a couple of days. I didn't even have a back door - I'd just climb through the kitchen window and pull on the door while my bf pushed ~ guess it's a good thing we lived in an all black area where nobody ever calls the police.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:28 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,818,992 times
Just read on the smokinggun.com site, where there are mulitple police reports...

At one point the Harvard educated Professor and friend of the President of the US tells one female officer that asks him to step outside...."I'll talk to your MAMA outside"

Quite professional of him, don't you think?

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
I'll be honest, ANY Harvard alum or member of Harvard's elite that this would have happened to would have had the same response. They all are of that class of "Harumph! Who the hell do you think you are?" regardless of gender or race, so I think most of his colleagues would have had the same reaction.

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Shame on the cops for clearly not knowing more about the community they work in. If there is an area where professors live they should already be familiar with it. They should also know some of the better known professors. I'm sure Harvard has an all-star lineup, but I would think Gates has to be one of their better known professors.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:29 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
I'll be honest, ANY Harvard alum or member of Harvard's elite that this would have happened to would have had the same response. They all are of that class of "Harumph! Who the hell do you think you are?" regardless of gender or race, so I think most of his colleagues would have had the same reaction.
Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies