Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 11:02 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
There is a difference between thinking you're above the law and thinking you'll never be arrested. I believe his quote was he never thought something like that could happen to him.
Henry Louis Gates' arrest in Cambridge, Mass., creates platform for another look at racism: Phillip Morris - cleveland.com

Read this article. It was written by Phillip Morris, a columnist that I have alot of respect for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 11:03 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,285 times
I think this whole mess is Henry Gates own fault. If someone reported a break-in in progress and a cop shows up (race of the cop should not matter) and ask for ID, show it to him. Don't start yelling and throwing down the race card. If he would have properly identified himself and not started yelling at the cop. This whole mess could have been avoided. It's nothing about, Race, Education, Class. It is simple common sense. There were both white and black cops there from what I have read. Obama is not helping anything by stepping into this also. I would like to think now this is 2009 we would have all matured and grown a bit by now, where we are judged more on are action then what race we are.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:03 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
You have idiots in this case all around. The professor for escalating the situation and not cooperating with police, the police for then escalating the situation and arresting the professor, and then Obama for escalating the situation and making comments when he's not informed on the facts of the case( what else is new).
Maybe he WAS informed.

"You don't know who you're messin' with"!

Old 07-23-2009, 11:12 AM

10 posts, read 11,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
If this was two white guys or a white citizen and black cop, it would be chalked up to another day in the big city. The fact that it was Gates, a race baiter from Harvard, who accused the officer of being racist and whose first words are "I'm a black man in America,'' shows that anything the cop could have done, whether it was right or wrong, would automatically be looked at through a racial lens, because that's the stock and trade of professional race baiters like Gates.

We have got to get away from thinking in racial terms. As Freud said...."sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." Sometimes a cop can just be a jerk or sometimes a citizen can just be an a-hole, and it has nothing to do with race. It's just two a-holes being a-holes.
Good post.

Love that saying of Freud's.

Here is my take on this asshat. He is a "professor" at Harvard in a "studies" program. He's of the certain age that affirmative action was key in his success.

Pathetic that a guy like this could even get a job answering phones at Harvard and pathetic the "studies" programs still exist.

But then again Ward Churchill, Mr. Fraud Indian Victim, got as far as he did until he was cut off at the knees.

I have hope for this country and I think this race baiter Gates will go away. Just like Barry. Did you see his race baiting last night? He's in trouble and knows it. Quite lovely to watch his destruction.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:13 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Henry Louis Gates' arrest in Cambridge, Mass., creates platform for another look at racism: Phillip Morris - cleveland.com

Read this article. It was written by Phillip Morris, a columnist that I have alot of respect for.
I already read the article and I think his comments are off-base.

Quote:
"I haven't even come close to being arrested. I would have said it was impossible."
See I guess it's all in the way you read his comment. To me he was saying, "I never thought this could happen to me because I have lived my life in a way that pretty much concludes I will not be on the wrong side of the law."

Quote:
This genius, who has arguably done more to advance progressive racial thought and theory than any American since W.E.B. DuBois, claims that he thought it was "impossible" for him to be on the wrong side of a mistaken police encounter?
yes for some reason, black people seem to believe that if they avoid certain things (poverty, lack of education, drugs, etc.) that they won't be arrested. I guess that's why it threw the writer because he is acknowledging that no matter how educated, how well-known, how wealthy, how whatever you may be at the end of the day you're still black and white people are out to get you. Makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Most urban black males are convinced that they have been racially profiled. Many of us are also convinced that the profiling is orchestrated by black officers as frequently as it is by white officers.
Gates is not urban nor was he living in an urban area.

But that's just my opinion; you and Phillip Morris are entitled to his.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:13 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhams View Post
I would like to think now this is 2009 we would have all matured and grown a bit by now, where we are judged more on are action then what race we are.
Many would like to think this. However, I am a realist. And, as an African American, I have learned long ago that I get judged on multiple dimensions. It is just a fact that I have come to accept. Now, this fact has not held me back from being successful. Yet, I remain cognizant of it. And at times, it gets brought to my attention in a very explicit and jarring way.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:14 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
I feel bad for my earlier rant against cops after reading about this officer. It unfortunate that he is being tarred as a "racist". However, I still find it disturbing that a person can be arrested for ranting on one's own property, even if said ranting is against a cop. The officer should have just left Gates alone in his yard to hoot and holler; arresting him was not necessary.
BAM! Thank you!

also, how long was Gates living in that neighborhood? why didn't the neighbors recognize him? it looks like a quiet residential neighborhood....looks like the neighbors didn't care that he was arrested either.
didn't read the entire thread so i apologize if this has already been posted.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:15 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
I feel bad for my earlier rant against cops after reading about this officer. It unfortunate that he is being tarred as a "racist". However, I still find it disturbing that a person can be arrested for ranting on one's own property, even if said ranting is against a cop. The officer should have just left Gates alone in his yard to hoot and holler; arresting him was not necessary.
I agree. If he's going to arrest every citizen that yells at him - he's not going to be doing very much good to his community.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:15 AM

10 posts, read 11,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Duplicate thread.
Please use search feature before starting new threads:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...idge-home.html
uh-oh. The thread police.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:16 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I already read the article and I think his comments are off-base.

See I guess it's all in the way you read his comment. To me he was saying, "I never thought this could happen to me because I have lived my life in a way that pretty much concludes I will not be on the wrong side of the law."

yes for some reason, black people seem to believe that if they avoid certain things (poverty, lack of education, drugs, etc.) that they won't be arrested. I guess that's why it threw the writer because he is acknowledging that no matter how educated, how well-known, how wealthy, how whatever you may be at the end of the day you're still black and white people are out to get you. Makes perfect sense.

Gates is not urban nor was he living in an urban area.

But that's just my opinion; you and Phillip Morris are entitled to his.
Well Phillip Morris has been a columnist for a long time and regardless of race he always remains objective. Gates is educated, he should have acted like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies