Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 01:00 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Apparently if you don't want to be called a racist then you shouldn't.
Well, I agree with natalay, the problem wasn't instigated by the caller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 01:00 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Why? She saw something she thought was suspicious, (a man forcing open a door in a residential area in the afternoon) and she reported it to the police. Are you saying that if someone sees someone forcing entry into a home, they shouldn't consider that suspicious, or shouldn't report it to the police?
I guess I am as suspicious as some are paranoid.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:01 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,725,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
OMG. A black man gets arrested and it's automatically "racial profiling"???

Give me a break. Gates was probably being a total a$$wipe--even before he showed his ID.

I supposed that any time a black man is arrested, it's because of racism??? How childish.
I would think you have a right to be a total "a$$wipe" in your own home without fear of arrest. This did not happen in a public space, all the police officer had to do was leave. The police officer was out of line. Why would the police officer not identify himself?

Old 07-23-2009, 01:07 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I agree with you for the most part. If only Gates hadn't remarked that he'd consider accepting the officer's apology if the officer begged to do so.
The charges have been dropped; he needs to get over it. Once again, I think his actions are wrong. If he really feels he was trated unfairly, he needs to talk to the head of the police department and not the media.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:07 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
The liberials are rushing to Gates defense as predicted. This big lawyer in Washington even called the working class cops action "Stupidity" on national TV.
And this just in: "California Rep. Barbara Lee, chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus, said she agreed that Gates' arrest was another example of racial profiling.

"It's part of the unfinished business of America," the Democratic congresswoman said."

No wonder the country is in trouble.

Love the lock-step!

Old 07-23-2009, 01:08 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I would think you have a right to be a total "a$$wipe" in your own home without fear of arrest. This did not happen in a public space, all the police officer had to do was leave. The police officer was out of line. Why would the police officer not identify himself?
The police officer says he did identify himself, but Gates was too excited to recognize that. (I'm not saying this is the truth, I'm just pointing out that there are two different versions of the events that completely conflict with one another on certain points, and we really don't know the actual truth, may never know the actual truth of what was said in that home.)

Old 07-23-2009, 01:09 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,845,032 times
Bill Cosby shocked and thinks Obama should have kept his mouth shut

Old 07-23-2009, 01:12 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
The black man was racist and used his race as a threat and verbal assult against the officer right from the beginning. I'm on the officer's side on this one.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:16 PM

324 posts, read 1,138,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The black man was racist and used his race as a threat and verbal assult against the officer right from the beginning. I'm on the officer's side on this one.
Ditto.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:19 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Default Gates was justified in his outrage

Anyone who has an aversion to black people in general is going to say that Gates overreacted.

Anyone who lives in a cocoon whose knowledge of black people only comes from what they read or see on TV is going to say that Gates overreacted.

Anyone who believes that "reverse discrimination" or "reverse racism" are concepts to be taken seriously, is going to say that Gates overreacted.

Anyone who thinks that black people are all whining, crying, excuse-makers, ignoring the reality, is going to say that Gates overreacted.

Anyone suffering from a serious case of sour grapes because Obama won is going to say that Gates overreacted.

Racists are going to say that Gates overreacted.

Closet racists are going to say that Gates overreacted.

If you believed that OJ was guilty before any evidence was presented, you no doubt feel that Gates overreacted.

If you voted for Hilary, then McCain despite being a democrat, then you no doubt feel that Gates overreacted.

Republicans/Conservatives/Klan/Neocons/Orange county, CA residents/Clueless are going to say that Gates overreacted.

The rest of us know the truth. Pure stupidity on the part of that passerby and the officers. Gates should've been given the utmost of consideration and he was certainly justified in his outrage. The indignation he suffered because he was black should not have happened. Profiling is what he was a victim of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies