Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 02:59 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Try this for the next day, while you are out shopping or amongst a lot of other people, pretend every interaction with every person is because of some imaginary form of bigotry or prejudice.

When the gal behind the counter at the fast food restaurant asks if you would like a large fry or apple pie, pretend she only asked you because you are morbidly obese. When someone in a sit down restaurant gets service before you, think it’s racially motivated. When a person at the checkout waves someone over to a new register instead of you, think it’s because you are ugly, or the person is racist against you. When someone honks at you, think they are radical environmentalist and you are driving a Hummer.

Pretend you are that black woman at Pizza Hut in 1996, who started screaming racism, because she arrived before me, but I got my pizza before her. In order to quiet things down, I had to explain to her that I called my pizza order in before I and my wife and kids left the house.

Think of a multi purpose chip on your shoulder, and every interaction is a possible case for discrimination, racism, bigotry, prejudice or whatever. Some people actually live their lives like that.
Well said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 03:00 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livesintriangle View Post
Actually the officer stated in the report that he called him outside because it was difficult to hear on his walkie talkie with Gates yelling at him. It wasn't because he was worried about weaponry. He had already at that point realized Gates owned the house and by then he was just irked about the yelling. You've got to read the report. He was just pissed the guy was yelling at him. Poor, poor officer. I'm sure he dealt with worse in the academy.
I am referencing standard procedure, but fine, if it was walkie talkie issues, so be it. Does nothing to help Professor Gates' case.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:00 PM

225 posts, read 574,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Ah, it took him a while? Well that's the catch, no? A cop asks for your ID, you show it to him. And preferably without a temper tantrum.

You are just trying to rewrite the rules. Please...
You don't follow threads well, do you...

You said he didn't show his ID.
I said he did show his ID.
You, rather than note your error, then tried to deflect and get into the timing of said ID being shown.

Fail.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:01 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times
I just want to know the reaction of the first person who realized that they had Gates in custody.

I wish I had a visual of how that flickered across the face of the person who realized who he was.

At somepoint someone had to do a Oh SH*!.

That was jacked up.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:01 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,477,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Ah, it took him a while? Well that's the catch, no? A cop asks for your ID, you show it to him. And preferably without a temper tantrum.

You are just trying to rewrite the rules. Please...
If I'm in my yard and a cop walks up and asks for ID, do I have to provide it to him? No..Those are the rules. What if I don't have my ID? Should I go to jail? No..

Old 07-23-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Once he verified the id he should have just left him there, standing on his porch, yelling at his fumes in front of all his neighbors and fellow Harvard staff.
YES. Absolutely correct IMO.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesintriangle View Post
You don't follow threads well, do you...

You said he didn't show his ID.
I said he did show his ID.
You, rather than note your error, then tried to deflect and get into the timing of said ID being shown.

Fail.
Timing is everything. Had he done it at once, no incident would have occurred.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I just want to know the reaction of the first person who realized that they had Gates in custody.

I wish I had a visual of how that flickered across the face of the person who realized who he was.

At somepoint someone had to do a Oh SH*!.

That was jacked up.
I had the same thought and wondered if that was the reason the black cop in the arrest photo looked pretty miserable (pure speculation on my part of course, it just crossed my mind)

Old 07-23-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
If I'm in my yard and a cop walks up and asks for ID, do I have to provide it to him? No..Those are the rules. What if I don't have my ID? Should I go to jail? No..
If the cop has been sent in response to a report of some kind of trangression, you had better shelve your childish attitude, get off your ass, and indeed ID yourself. You refuse, you go downtown.

If some cop just randomly walks into your yard and asks, he had better have a good reason. But that did not happen Tank and you know it. Come on.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:07 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Honestly, you see an old ass black man trying to get into a house, your first instinct should not be to call the cops. Now if you see a YOUNG black man trying to get into a house, then....maybe I can see where you're coming from.
Not that this applies to you. But to the race baiters in society, everything is seen thru the prism of racism. If a white neighbor knows the next store neighbor is black, and sees a black guy trying to pry open a few windows, and out of concern for their black neighbor's rights and property they, call the police, the white neighbor is racist, for unfairly profiling?

But what if the same neighbor sees a white guy trying to pry open the same black neighbor's window... should they not call the police? What if both neighbors are white, and some white guy is seen trying to pry open a window, do white people shrug it off, and go back to watching Oprah?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies