Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 06:34 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't view this report as completely accurate. Even if Gates had an attitude, the report will be written to favor the writer.
Exactly...so here we get to the heart of the matter that I mentioned sarcastically in a previous post. You don't believe the police report because of what reason? The police are all liars and racists, right? Is it just the white cops that are liars and racists or the hispanic officer too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 06:38 AM

How about this...can anyone who supports Gates admit that IF...and for the sake of argument only IF....he did what is alleged in the police report, that his actions as alleged would be wrong? I'll even say maybe not even criminal, but flatly wrong, and that he should not have behaved as alleged.

Can you at least admit that?

Old 07-24-2009, 06:43 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livesintriangle View Post
It was in the police report though I don't know if all posters are aware of that.
I didn't see in the police report, that their was a limo in front of the house , with open trunk. They must have missed that detail. Not too many buglers drive airport limos, in suits, carrying luggage (report didn't mention that either, did it?). And that the threating professor walked with a cane (another common tool by burglers).

Of course, I don't have all the facts, as I can only go by what I've read in the online boston area newspapers.

It looks like a case of two men who should have steped back, and walked away from a minor incident. But neither did.
(but it's hard to tell at this point, who was instigator, since we can't hear tone, in either newspapers accounts or police reports).

After I wrote the above I found the 'longer' police report. http://sweetness-light.com/archive/i...rofessor-gates which does mention his cane........

Last edited by plannine; 07-24-2009 at 07:03 AM..

Old 07-24-2009, 06:53 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,818,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
So is Obama actually worsening the problem of racism with his verbal stumblings and off kilter divisive remarks and attitude? Instead of exacerbating the situation he could have diffused it and tried to bring people together. It looks like old Reverend Wright might have had more of an influence on Obama than anybody would like to admit.
Obama was supposed to take America in a new direction, not the same old politics, not the same old race issues.

This issue would have been at best buried somewhere deep in the NYT or whatever by now.

But Obama, the great orater, has put this story front and center....all he had to do is say "no comment" which he has been famous for saying many times before when the question was not on subject.

I've run into people who hadn't even heard of the story until Obama made a big deal about it.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:55 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
No, you are incorrect. Having seen the ID the police WERE leaving. Gates followed them outside continuing his verbal harrassment. If Gates would have just let them leave at that point it would have ended.
From what I understand Gates was asking for the cop's badge number and full name. He's within his right to ask for that. I have yet to see any coverage where it says the cop actually cooperated and gave it to him.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
I didn't see in the police report, that their was a limo in front of the house , with open trunk. They must have missed that detail. Not too many buglers drive airport limos, in suits, carrying luggage (report didn't mention that either, did it?). And that the threating professor walked with a cane (another common tool by burglers).

Of course, I don't have all the facts, as I can only go by what I've read in the online boston area newspapers.

It looks like a case of two men who should have steped back, and walked away from a minor incident. But neither did.
(but it's hard to tell at this point, who was instigator, since we can't hear tone, in either newspapers accounts or police reports).
Your second guessing the witness who phoned in the 911 call reporting the break in. Maybe she was paranoid....maybe she was even a racist and was out to get Gates for no other reason than his skin color. I think she was a concerned citizen who thought she saw someone breaking into a house and was trying to be helpful, but what the hell....that racist b-itch.

The issue was never that anyone thought Gates was actually robbing his own house or that he was not supposed to be there. The issue was the way he dealt with the police who came out to investigate the incident. They were only going by the 911 call. Had Gates been rational, I seriously doubt it would have ever escalated beyond where it did. The cops didn't arrest him because he was black, they arrested him because of his actions. Do you condone his actions?

Old 07-24-2009, 06:59 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Have you read the police report? If you had, you would not be making these kinds of ill informed and silly coments.
So, it's ok for the police to arrest you in your own home for yelling? Welcome to the police state:

The police report said Gates was arrested after he yelled at the investigating officer repeatedly inside the residence then followed the officer outside, where Gates continued to upbraid him. "It was at that time that I informed Professor Gates that he was under arrest,'' the officer wrote in the report.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
From what I understand Gates was asking for the cop's badge number and full name. He's within his right to ask for that. I have yet to see any coverage where it says the cop actually cooperated and gave it to him.
God....read the F-ing police report. The cop was asked for his information and attempted to give it to Gates twice, while Gates shouted over him and refused to listen. Then when Gates was ready to take the info, the cop said..."sorry, I gave it to you twice already."

READ THE REPORT....don't spout nonsense.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:00 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Exactly...so here we get to the heart of the matter that I mentioned sarcastically in a previous post. You don't believe the police report because of what reason? The police are all liars and racists, right? Is it just the white cops that are liars and racists or the hispanic officer too?
This has nothing to do with race. It has everything to do with a systemic undermining of our constitutional rights. I don't care if the cop was black and the professor was white, that's irrelevant.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:01 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
No I don't..A strangers call doesn't merit my arrest..It simply doesn't. A baseless accusation doesn't merit cause to arrest me. This isn't Russia.
Earth to Tank:

Professor Gates was arrested for being disorderly. A stranger merely reported what he or she thought was a burglary in progress to the police. The stranger was being a responsible citizen.

You are twisting and distorting the facts. That is dishonest. That tells me you have dropped the ball on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies