Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 08:30 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
It was initially (from what I've read), one un-uniformed officer (the officer in question) in a unmarked car, (i know it's minor, but the details that can escalate a situation are sometimes over looked). Other's arrived later, after the officer entered the house and had his discussions with Mr Gates.
I didn't know the officer didn't have a uniform on. That can be nerve-racking. Someone coming up on you with no uniform. Here in NYC un-uniformed officers often have a chain with their badge tucked into their shirt or whatever, so they can flash their badge when need be. I don't know how it is in Cambridge, Mass though.

The more I find out about this, it's like a series of unfortunate misunderstandings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 08:31 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
One more time- No Profiling. Whether the cop was in uniform or not, he answered a 911 call. He identified himself and did his job.

The words that everybody, including Professor Gates, should be using are, Thank You.

Verbal ID (He refused to show Gates physical ID, while requesting Gates provide such),

Again - It's alot of He-said, He-said inside the house.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:33 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I actually agree with what you just said. Look at some of my other posts, where I said this was all a big misunderstanding. In the post you responded to I was making a general point about racial profiling.

Fair enough. I like Professor Gates a lot, but I think he was jetlagged and pissed that his door was jammed. He is only human.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Verbal ID (He refused to show Gates physical ID, while requesting Gates provide such),

Again - It's alot of He-said, He-said inside the house.
Nope. He was in uniform, but arrived in an unmarked car- hardly unusual for cops around the world including Cambridge.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:37 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
What this incident proves is, the black professor, the black mayor, the black Governor, and the half black president, are all racists..! It proves no matter how well educated one is, no matter how successful one is, the first chance you get, try to make everything into a race issue if it isn't going your way. It proves the black man has a long way to go in America, and it's all their own fault..!
One more nail in BO's coffin..~ The man is toast, I hope America survives 31/2 more years under this fool.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:38 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
I do wonder if the witness would have called seeing an old White man with a cane doing the same thing. There have also been some accounts that Gates was wearing a suit at the time of the call. So let's add that to the overall picture. I do wonder if the witness calls...

The profiling was perhaps done with the call not the cops.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 07-24-2009 at 08:47 AM..

Old 07-24-2009, 08:43 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
A police officer is not supposed to just walk away from a situation that is becoming volatile. That's just nuts.

How does this officer know that Gate's hasn't just broken into his home against a restraining order?
The police cannot allow people to disrespect the police and undermine their authority. This type of behavior and treatment of police cannot be allowed to become common public practice, by allowing people to publicly harass them in an unruly, hostile and abusive manner, the police will lose control.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:44 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
What this incident proves is, the black professor, the black mayor, the black Governor, and the half black president, are all racists..! It proves no matter how well educated one is, no matter how successful one is, the first chance you get, try to make everything into a race issue if it isn't going your way. It proves the black man has a long way to go in America, and it's all their own fault..!
One more nail in BO's coffin..~ The man is toast, I hope America survives 31/2 more years under this fool.
And you're calling everyone else a racist..............

Old 07-24-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I do wonder if the witness would have called seeing an old white man with a cane doing the same thing. There have also been some accounts that Gates was wearing a suit at the time of the call. So let's add that to the overall picture. I do wonder if the witness calls...

The profiling was perhaps done with the call not the cops.
I thought you just said there was no profiling?

From Wiki: Racial profiling is the inclusion of racial or ethnic characteristics in determining whether a person is considered likely to commit a particular type of crime or an illegal act or to behave in a "predictable" manner.

The caller saw a man breaking down a door. She was not on the street picking black men at random thinking they might be likely to commit a crime.

Why would you think she would not report a white man breaking down a door? What evidence do you have? The fact is it was not a white man. End of story. Your subjective curiosity and imagination are not relevant. The woman is not on trial, certainly not for something she may or may not have hypothetically done.

There was no profiling here. You and others keep throwing the word out there because you have nothing else but dishonesty to use against a cop who did his job by the book.

You and others will have to find your Bull Connor elsewhere.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:57 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Just heard on the news that Obama apologized ... well, he did the NY Daily News apology ... I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I can see how it all played out:

Gibbs: Mr. President, we really have a problem
Obama: Really?
Gibbs: Yea, you really offended people with your comments about your personal friend, Dr. Henry Louis Gates.
Obama: How? I just said that the police department acted stupidly, and they did!
Gibbs: Well, sir, you started out by saying that you didn't have all the facts and then launched into a racially charged indictment of the Cambridge Police Department ...
Obama: So?
Rahm: Yea? So ... eff 'em all those effin' racist bast ...
Obama: Whoa Rahm ... that's not what I meant Gibbs
Gibbs: But sir, if you re-read what you said, it's not hard to draw conclus ...
Rahm: Oh eff em! GD-it, they're all a bunch of worthless a-holes!!!! Hey, what kind of fish do they like??? Hmmm .... I'm thinking cod ... year old cod that's been in the desert for over a year ... seriously Gibbs ... eff 'em eff them and everyone that looks like them! I'll show 'em who's boss ...
Obama: whoa ... Rahm, chill out ... Gibbs, please issue an apology for offending anyone who found my comments offensive.
Rahm: Oh you effing P***y ... I'm going back to Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies