Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 11:25 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,860,174 times

Advertisements

David Brooks (generally moderate and occasional conservative) writing in today's NYT.

Quote:
We’re only in the early stages of the liberal suicide march, but there already have been three phases. First, there was the stimulus package. You would have thought that a stimulus package would be designed to fight unemployment and stimulate the economy during a recession. But Congressional Democrats used it as a pretext to pay for $787 billion worth of pet programs with borrowed money. Only 11 percent of the money will be spent by the end of the fiscal year — a triumph of ideology over pragmatism.

Then there is the budget. Instead of allaying moderate anxieties about the deficits, the budget is expected to increase the government debt by $11 trillion between 2009 and 2019.

Finally, there is health care. Every cliché Ann Coulter throws at the Democrats is gloriously fulfilled by the Democratic health care bills. The bills do almost nothing to control health care inflation. They are modeled on the Massachusetts health reform law that is currently coming apart at the seams precisely because it doesn’t control costs. They do little to reward efficient providers and reform inefficient ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 11:37 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,269,437 times
why does he have to give credence to the FemiNazi 'HO?

Old 07-21-2009, 11:39 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat007 View Post
why does he have to give credence to the FemiNazi 'HO?
Perhaps because she's far more deserving of it than a name calling, sexist bigot!

Old 07-21-2009, 11:42 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,163,747 times
Eventually, they'll just install these.

Though, I don't see how business as normal in the government could be called a suicide march... But that's just me.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:43 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Perhaps because she's far more deserving of it than a name calling, sexist bigot!

And perhaps NOT!

Old 07-21-2009, 11:43 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,015,774 times
Quote:
Months ago, it seemed as if Obama would lead a center-left coalition. Instead, he has deferred to the Old Bulls on Capitol Hill on issue after issue.

And so here we are again. Every new majority overinterprets its mandate. We’ve been here before. We’ll be here again.
Not to say I told you all so but...

Old 07-21-2009, 11:53 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,027,691 times
Was watching MSNBC this morning and there love fest for Obama that they have does not seem as strong as it use to be. I still have faith in Americans that there is still a little common sense left. I am a non partisian individual and I will admit when we are going in the wrong direction. And we have been going down for many years and gaining momentum fast. But I still have hope.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:01 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,477,772 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Thebigr
Was watching MSNBC this morning and there love fest for Obama that they have does not seem as strong as it use to be. I still have faith in Americans that there is still a little common sense left. I am a non partisian individual and I will admit when we are going in the wrong direction. And we have been going down for many years and gaining momentum fast. But I still have hope.
If you were watching Morning Joe (6-9am) they're usually balanced. Joe Scarborough is conservative and Mika is centre-left, but not far left. And they have a good balanced selection of guests.

2,557 posts, read 5,858,518 times
I heard Neal Boortz talking about that article this morning. What can we do to give these liberals a boost to hurry them along their chosen path? We need our country back! God bless America.

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
I believe everyone should have the health care they require. The problem is figuring out how to pay for it without tapping into the sacred wealth of the upper 5%.

I do not see the stimulus program as a suicide march because alll the spending will wind up in somebody's wallet. Hopefully the somebody will spend it quickly so the money will have a multiplying effect. As far as paying it off goes, I am not the least concerned because I will not be making enough money to pay substantial taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies