Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 06:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

Maybe we will stop going to war to test our fighter planes in the "REAL" world. Defense procurement has been a main form of industrial/financial welfare since WW2. A few made fortunes off that war and made certain they would never again have to compete for customers in the open market. These fat cats are America's real welfare class.

I am actually surprised that the Raptor program was curtailed. I thought it was guaranteed by having contracts in every Congressional district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 06:50 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
It is interesting to see those on the left side now believe in the policy of fighting a war with what you have and no longer support giving the military the very best of equipment....

I wonder what has changed in the past year????

Old 07-22-2009, 09:04 AM

785 posts, read 1,049,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
I didn't have time to read the article so I may be saying something already mentioned. I was under the impression the F-22 was cut back because of the F-35.
The F-22 was cut because the damn thing is useless. It was designed for air to air combat in case we got into a war with the Soviet Union, which doesn't even exist anymore. It's one of those cold-war era weapons that is useless today. The only reason I could see someone voting to fund it is if they went into a coma 25-30 years ago and woke up yesterday or if they are being bribed by Lockheed Martin, the plane's manufacturer.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:06 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Again the Russians are selling their most modern planes to anyone with the $$$.

TO think the USA will never be involved in air combat with a modern air force seems a little foolhardy.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I think the best way of avoiding an armed conflict is to drop our Imperial pretentions and let the rest of the world go to hell in its own handbasket.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:14 AM

785 posts, read 1,049,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Good post!!! I hope Obama keeps this type of thing up.Trim the fat and use the money elsewhere.
Well the budget is one fat ass pig; there is plenty of fat to be trimmed. By the way an unrepentant tax and spend liberal is telling you this. Also, there are some types of taxes that could be created that will probably help the economy more than hurt it. In political circles outside of the status quo, there's a proposal that's been going around for a while to charge a sales tax on derivative transactions. We pay sales tax every time we go to the supermarket, why can't people buying mortage backed securities and credit default swaps pay tax on their purchases as well. I feel that this will help curb some of the risky, speculative practices that caused our economy to collapse in the first place. To sum it all up, I don't think we need to be running up the deficit and borrowing money from China in order to spend what we ought to be spending. I praise Obama for getting the F-22 cut from the budget, but there are plenty other things that he should be cutting as well.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:15 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,969,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
One of the Sukhoi models has shown up the F-22 I believe,and definitely is better than the F-35.

but I guess as long as we never go to war with a nation equipped with modern aircraft we will be okay.
Maybe we could afford the F-22 if we weren't in so many dern countries.

Can't have it all.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:16 AM

769 posts, read 887,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
One of the Sukhoi models has shown up the F-22 I believe,and definitely is better than the F-35.

but I guess as long as we never go to war with a nation equipped with modern aircraft we will be okay.

I was under the impression that the F-35 was a better plane the the Raptor.

The latest Sukhoi model that is designed to compete with the F-22 and F-35 is slated for experimental flight this year. That doesn't mean they have a better plane. If they are testing a plane to compete with ones we are building they are being. I'll be you we are testing some pretty nasty planes right now that isn't being talked about.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:26 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Hmmmmm....seems like Obama may be "conservatatin' " a bit.....what say the neoCONS of C-D? Good move or bad?
Senate rejects additional F-22 funding - CNN.com

Your man kicked in behind him too.

McCain also acknowledged the intensity of the dispute during the final Senate debate.
"This amendment is probably the most impactful amendment that I have seen in this body on almost any issue, much less the issue of defense," McCain said on the Senate floor.
"It really boils down to whether we're going to continue (the) business as usual of once a weapons system gets into full production it never dies, or whether we're going to take the necessary steps to really reform the acquisition process in this country."

Plus Obama pissed Dodd off by pulling a bit of his pork off the table.

"We put that many jobs at risk, not because the industry is failing, not because it is a bad piece of aircraft, but because the secretary of defense and the administration have decided this program isn't worthy of our support. So explain to those 90,000 people, once they lose their jobs and get laid off," Sen. Christopher Dodd, D-Connecticut, said Tuesday
The F-22 engine is made in Dodd's home state of Connecticut.
Hey Mule, I wonder how many here know why my Senators voted against that bill. It seems like Harry Reid attached an amendment, in the form of a rider, to that bill that was aimed at something other than getting rid of new spending on the F-22. Why yes he did attach this Hate Crimes thing that he couldn't get passed any other way so many honest Senators voted against this thing to keep the Hate Crimes rider from riding. If you haven't read anything about the amendment, you can do so at:

Dems add long-sought hate crimes measure to Defense bill | McClatchy

Old 07-22-2009, 12:38 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Hey Mule, I wonder how many here know why my Senators voted against that bill. It seems like Harry Reid attached an amendment, in the form of a rider, to that bill that was aimed at something other than getting rid of new spending on the F-22. Why yes he did attach this Hate Crimes thing that he couldn't get passed any other way so many honest Senators voted against this thing to keep the Hate Crimes rider from riding. If you haven't read anything about the amendment, you can do so at:

Dems add long-sought hate crimes measure to Defense bill | McClatchy
Thank you for the link Roy....I followed this early on,but had actually forgotten about it until you brought it up.

Can NOTHING in politics be above board these days....they(politicians) have always reminded me of used car dealers,but the more time that passes I think they are starting to get even slimier(sp?) than the car dealers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies